EVANSVILLE...

lowsingle

just to let everyone know.. although the damage had already been done.. i personally witnessed kief apologize to his fans.. the police officer involved.. his coaches.. and the tournament director..

He would do well to take some lessons from Beech Grove's Danny Coyne.  Coyne had a major tendency to outbust at any issue on the mat he didn't agree with and it plagued his ability to suceed for most of his career.  However, for some reason he came back his senior year with a huge attitude change, outlook on the sport, and an appriciation/respect for those involed in it.  I was one that had mostly written him off, but was more than pleased to see how he approached things his senior year and was ready to cheer for him at state.  I would say his new outlook on things was a huge reason he went from being a tough wrestler with a bad attitude to a state champion wrestlers that earned the respect of many who initially had a problem with this actions.  His actions of and off the mat is what made the difference and I hope for kiefs sake he can figure out what Coyne did before its to late and his wrestling career has passed him by.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weiss and Stein both handle themselves very well. To go back and forth all year in such close, heated matches with the loser always smiling or shaking hands is impressive. Last weekend when Weiss beat Stein I seen a little smile on Steins face and a head nod like he knew he would see him again. These two are impressive.

Yes I sen the nod and grin once Weiss made the escape in the 7th period at the regional. I will say that Drake & Jeff have the upmost respect for each other. I see them talking throughout the day frequently and seen them warm up together last year at SS.

This battle was a good one last year at 152 and has even turned more intense this year at 171. I want to see Drake bring home the title this year but if for some reason he does not Jeff better have the hardware! I do not know Jeff personally but he seems to respect his opponents and the sport and that means a lot to a guy who takes his young kids to these events.

My oldest son mentioned to me several times today about kids throwing headgear, rails and trying to fight on the mat. I told him if he ever tries that he will never see a mat again. Win with grace, lose with grace..... Someone out there is BETTER than you no matter how good you think you are! (Words from my father when I was younger)

JW

Everybody should keep there mouths shut untill they know all of the facts.  Mabey this kid has "ausperger's" syndrome.

That is by far the worst excuse for unsportsmanlike conduct Ive ever heard.

As a parent of a child with Aspbergers syndrome (Aspbergers is a form of autism) I am highly offended that anyone who is close to mr kief would use autism as an excuse for his behavior. I do not know if mr kief has Aspbergers, or if he even has tourrettes syndrome (again, Autism), but I would gather neither he nor his family would classify this type of behavior as acceptable, disability or not. My daughter has had some fits that would certainly put Mr Kiefs outburst to shame (running out of a Wal Mart at the age of 4 screaming over cheese, into traffic.... I could go on).... never once have my wife or I made her diagnosis an excuse for her behavior. We try our best to instill the same values and discipline into her as we were raised, and that we instill into our other children. No she doesnt always comprehend what she is doing as a proper reaction, but as well, she does understand consequences, and has at times realized when she makes a mistake. As her parents, we would not allow her to continue on in an activity if she had these types of outbursts as a result of a win or lose situation. case in point (and this just goes to show competitive nature, action,  and consequences) we have had to limit her in her video game play, due to the fact she would have complete melt downs, crying, screaming, and a prolonged agonization over losing or not being the first place finisher. I am appalled that anyone would allow themselves or their child to fall back on a disability and utilize it as a crutch in the absence of good judgement. Aspbergers Syndrome does not excuse anyone from following the rules. You either let your situation define you, or you make your own mark. This is the second instance I have seen aspbergers used as an excuse for poor judgement...... In the other case, I side with the school..... the person made a bad choice, and the rules were upheld. again, action = consequences.... the consequences were known, and therefore, upheld. too harsh? maybe.... but the consequnce was known. Aspbergers kids are typically obsessive over consequences. they usually know when a mistake has been made, or what will happen if a mistake is made.

maybe this is me being a bit sensitive to the subject matter, but by typing the term "auspbergers", are you mocking it? typically, i see "quotations " as a way of mocking something or debunking it... i hope this is me being a little sensitive... 

112 kendle kief match      but you know what the whole team has a history behavior, not the 1st time i have seen that from the team.thats why i always cheer for the other teams

I agree after watching their coaches at the JV holiday classic- throwing record books in the air after theyu wrestler didnt get the call. argueing with the ref over half the "wrong calls" children do as they see the adults do. so these outbursts are no surprise to me.

That is simple The Refs don't apply those rules anymore.  The most you may get is a point but don't hold your breathe.  So go on kids stall your way to a state title or if that doesn't work just run as hard as you can to the out of bounce line on your feet, Ride the hips on top, and try as hard as you can to get your one on bottom.  Hopefully the other kid doesn't have the same strategy.  Either way don't worry the refs will allow you to bore me to tears with your stalling rituals and you might (if you are the best staller) even win a state championship.

Not true.  Although I get upset when my wrestler doesn't get the call counter wrestling is part of the sport (I don't like it but look at Josh Harper).  I watched yesterday in the ticket round during the Collett (Jennings County) and Pratt (Jeffersonville) match it went to overtime.  During the sudden victory period, Collett got behind Pratt and Pratt moved toward the out of bounds line in then bailed trying to get our of bounds to avoid the takedown.  The official, that I didn't look up but it was one of the gutsiest calls I have seen and I commend him for it, called a technical violation on Pratt for fleeing the mat and the match was over.  That may have been the best wrestling call I have ever seen.  The fact that Collett got through does make me mad but draws at the semi-state are different topic.

He would do well to take some lessons from Beech Grove's Danny Coyne.  Coyne had a major tendency to outbust at any issue on the mat he didn't agree with and it plagued his ability to suceed for most of his career.  However, for some reason he came back his senior year with a huge attitude change, outlook on the sport, and an appriciation/respect for those involed in it.  I was one that had mostly written him off, but was more than pleased to see how he approached things his senior year and was ready to cheer for him at state.  I would say his new outlook on things was a huge reason he went from being a tough wrestler with a bad attitude to a state champion wrestlers that earned the respect of many who initially had a problem with this actions.  His actions of and off the mat is what made the difference and I hope for kiefs sake he can figure out what Coyne did before its to late and his wrestling career has passed him by.

Great observation MattM!  I really enjoyed being around Danny during Team Indiana events but I could see a difference the year he came back after really screwing up the year before. 

I agree that Asberger's should not be mocked or made fun of.  I feel the comment was referring to the excuse given for Jacob Tonte getting in trouble at school and it not being his fault.  It was that Asberger's fault that he caught dipping at school.  Whomever posted this can reply if I am correct in this assumption or not.

That is simple The Refs don't apply those rules anymore.  The most you may get is a point but don't hold your breathe.  So go on kids stall your way to a state title or if that doesn't work just run as hard as you can to the out of bounce line on your feet, Ride the hips on top, and try as hard as you can to get your one on bottom.  Hopefully the other kid doesn't have the same strategy.  Either way don't worry the refs will allow you to bore me to tears with your stalling rituals and you might (if you are the best staller) even win a state championship.

if you are trying to imply that fisher stalled his way to victory you are mistaken. sure it took him a couple seconds to get to the center, but you sometimes do have trouble functioning when you almost get choked out in an earlier match. it was a great match by both sides, derek just wanted it a little more. and later that night fisher told me himself that he thrives off coming back in the post-season and revenging some of his past losses. hes got more heart in this sport than anybody else i think i know

I was thinking on the 3 hour drive home was the officiating as good as it seemed to me or was it just cause we had a good day..lol. They do a great job at E-ville.it is a great place for Semi-state even if it is 3 hours away.

I agree that Asberger's should not be mocked or made fun of.  I feel the comment was referring to the excuse given for Jacob Tonte getting in trouble at school and it not being his fault.  It was that Asberger's fault that he caught dipping at school.  Whomever posted this can reply if I am correct in this assumption or not.

Correct me if I am wrong..... Students are provided a copy of the Rules and Regulations, and the Code of Conduct, as well as are made aware of the consequences and repercussions before the start of the season, right? I believe some schools even have written contracts stating that the signing student will adhere to and abide by said rules, and are therefore aware of the consequences. Now correct me if I am wrong, the aforementioned student is a Senior. He is a 4 year varsity wrestler, and has likely been aware of the rules all 4 years of HS. To say that his decision to use smokeless tobacco is a result of his condidtion is ridiculous. Being the son of the head coach, I find it hard to believe he hasnt been made aware of the rules on a weekly basis, if not daily, especially given his diagnosis. As well, I find it very unsettling that a parent of a student with special needs would use a disability as an excuse for poor decision making. thanks for making a huge step backwards in the constant battle for understanding and acceptance of this disability. I do not want my child to be excused for anything as a result of her disability. I only hope ot do the best job possible in raising her, and hope that she knows right from wrong. All I can say is thanks for making it easier for people to excuse our childrens actions and for giving them a reason to say "oh its ok, he is autistic".... because its not ok. Parents are their childs best advocate, and by making the excuse that "hes autistic", as an advocate, I say you fail.

I agree that it was a great day of wrestling, but generally speaking, I feel the officials too often let the boys stall out the clock, literally backing up and burning clock for extended periods of time.  I'm not an axpert, so I'll ask again, why was the 119 pounder from Martinsville allowed to kill off the 3rd period like he did?  I don't blame him, but perhaps I need you all to educate me on why he drew only one warning for stalling.  Is there a rule of thumb to apply before warnings/points are issued, or is it purely a judgement call for the official.

I had a blast yesterday.  First time there.  If I'm only going to catch one day of wrestling/year going forward, Evansville Semistate may be it...

Not true.  Although I get upset when my wrestler doesn't get the call counter wrestling is part of the sport (I don't like it but look at Josh Harper).  I watched yesterday in the ticket round during the Collett (Jennings County) and Pratt (Jeffersonville) match it went to overtime.  During the sudden victory period, Collett got behind Pratt and Pratt moved toward the out of bounds line in then bailed trying to get our of bounds to avoid the takedown.  The official, that I didn't look up but it was one of the gutsiest calls I have seen and I commend him for it, called a technical violation on Pratt for fleeing the mat and the match was over.  That may have been the best wrestling call I have ever seen.  The fact that Collett got through does make me mad but draws at the semi-state are different topic.

Great observation MattM!  I really enjoyed being around Danny during Team Indiana events but I could see a difference the year he came back after really screwing up the year before. 

How are you gonna be mad that a good wrestler wrestled his way to state?  I wasnt there but from what ive heard the ref made the right call.  If he wouldnt have been "fleeing" he prolly wouldve gotten taken down anyway from what i understand so he woulda made it anyway right?

How are you gonna be mad that a good wrestler wrestled his way to state?  I wasnt there but from what ive heard the ref made the right call.  If he wouldnt have been "fleeing" he prolly wouldve gotten taken down anyway from what i understand so he woulda made it anyway right?

Did you not read my entire post?  Some people get the easier road and others draw into a stud, even if they place higher at the regional.

I will make one reply to the Dusty Kief incident.  I have seen this quote several times before, and if someone else posted it, I appoligize for the redundancy.  When you win, you show some of your character.  When you lose you show ALL of it.

It was a great day of wrestling Saturday.  Yes, there was the Kief incident, and although I don't know Kief, I have seen similar behavior from wrestlers from that team for years...not ALL of their wrestlers, but several over the years. We do have to keep in mind that these are teenagers and aren't as "in control" of their feelings as an adult should be.  That being said, the behavior was appalling, and I'm glad to hear he apologized. 

Some observations from Saturday:

I thought Cody Kendle looked good all day...he was on fire, very aggressive and never quit.

Weiss and Stein...need I say more..these kids are both studs.

Sims looked more aggressive than I've seen him all year - great job.

The Welches...ALL 3 were impressive...Boomsma's a beast & little Welch hung right with him.

Alex Rosebrock...one of my new favorite wrestlers...this kid impresses me.

The Fisher/Moody match was weird...Moody rode him out to a 1-0 loss...I couldn't figure it out.

Ethan Raley was on fire...I think Castle's Brown was the only one not to get pinned by him all day.

Mt. Vernon sends all 3 wrestlers to State...hasn't happened since 1993...great job guys!!!

Danville's got some real studs...and they're all so young...look for them to be tough the next few years.

Indian Creek...it seems like out of nowhere they producing one wrestling stud after another.

Trey Reese is a BEAST...he should do well at State.

Dylan Froehlich doesn't look all that tough...but don't let him fool you...he's aggressive and very fun to watch.

All in all...E'ville Semi-State is a meat grinder...and from the looks of things it just keeps getting tougher and tougher...I love it.  Good luck to ALL of the boys from the E'ville Semi-State...make us proud this week-end!

if you are trying to imply that fisher stalled his way to victory you are mistaken. sure it took him a couple seconds to get to the center, but you sometimes do have trouble functioning when you almost get choked out in an earlier match. it was a great match by both sides, derek just wanted it a little more. and later that night fisher told me himself that he thrives off coming back in the post-season and revenging some of his past losses. hes got more heart in this sport than anybody else i think i know

Wrestling guy in no way was I trying to put down any kid, heck if I would have had such laxed calls on stalling when I was in highschool I woulda takin advantage of it in a lot of  matches.  If Fisher or yourself took it that I was saying he stalled his way to victory then I appologize.  I did not even watch that match cause I was watching the 3 and 4 match.  However, I did see alot of what some call counter wrestling and it is ruining a sport that I love to watch.  When I was in highschool if you backed straight to the out of bounce line more than once you were hit.  If you stood at the out of bounce line for any amount of time you were hit.  It is taking advantage of poor refs that has made the style called counter wrestling.  If one guy Is  attacking all the way to the out of bounce if i'm the ref he had better make his counter move before they go out or he is stalling.  Anyway I mean nothing against any wrestler the simple fact of the matter is that the refs are there to stop stalling and I would stall if I needed to until the ref finally stepped up and gave me a warning.

MD85 I guess I will also reply it is over let it go he lost his temper at the end of the match. You don't know his character so don't make comments about it if you don't know the kid. He has never been in trouble in school or anywhere else for that matter, he is a great student and achieves his goals he makes for himself in the classroom and will go to a great school because of that. Wrestling comes second and yes he needs to work on his temper when he loses sometimes. It was a heated match and everytime they wrestle it is. He made a mistake and as I posted before everbody has to make a big deal about it. Let him, his coaches and parents handle the situation. Did he hurt you or anybody else? no he only hurt himself so let it go!  Mind your own business and worry about yourself and your family!  Why don't you people post postive thoughts on this board instead of negative ones. 

I will make one reply to the Dusty Kief incident.   I have seen this quote several times before, and if someone else posted it, I appoligize for the redundancy.  When you win, you show some of your character.  When you lose you show ALL of it.

Great quote!  I may use that sometime.

MD85 I guess I will also reply it is over let it go he lost his temper at the end of the match. You don't know his character so don't make comments about it if you don't know the kid. He has never been in trouble in school or anywhere else for that matter, he is a great student and achieves his goals he makes for himself in the classroom and will go to a great school because of that. Wrestling comes second and yes he needs to work on his temper when he loses sometimes. It was a heated match and everytime they wrestle it is. He made a mistake and as I posted before everbody has to make a big deal about it. Let him, his coaches and parents handle the situation. Did he hurt you or anybody else? no he only hurt himself so let it go!  Mind your own business and worry about yourself and your family!  Why don't you people post postive thoughts on this board instead of negative ones. 

I feel bad for that guard rail, it sure took a beating!  If everyone agreed and everything was positive this would be a horrible forum.

If you want to read all positive thoughts, you're definitely on the wrong site.  You've posted several other messages condemning people who say things against Franklin wrestlers.  I'd be curious to see if you'd refrain from posting something akin to those if a wrestler from a team who has a heated rivalry with Franklin lost their cool like Kief did Saturday.  I've been unfortunate enough to witness 2 such meltdowns in the past two weeks.  Haven't seen one like those since the Heitberg kid from Mooresville lost it at the semistate a few years back.

Yes...he died in a car accident...I believe. He spent a few weekends at my home in Ft. Branch with D.J.! He was a very fun loving kid. I'm not going to comment on the incident, but outside of that 1 event I only saw a very couteous young man who could eat the heck out of spaghetti.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.