State Final Memories

My favorite state final memory would have to be Danny Williams Junior year when he won state a month before that I read in the newspaper Warren wrestling youth sign ups, my son was just in first grade. He practiced a couple of weeks then won his first match( headlock of course).I took him to Conseco the next weekend he had watched Danny and the others practicing in the room, so he was the one we watched that whole Day not really knowing how good Danny was. The finals start and they turned off all the lights and announced everyones past accomplishments when Danny's name was called it was a priceless picture the look in my son's eye's I knew this was the sport for him. The following season watching Danny work as hard as he did in the room, I would make it a point to have my son the first one at practice to see how a champion works. Through anything, so I would like to thank Danny Williams and Warren wrestling for the insperation they gave a 5 year old boy ten years ago.  The best of luck to everyone who has ever supported my son. Thanks and Thanks for the memories.  

My first time ever going to watch state downtown was when those 4 from Griffith were all down there. I just remember thinking how cool it was that those guys were so good that after EVERY single take down their whole crowd would yell in unison "TWO!!!!!" and how many times I heard that haha something I won't forget!

Tie between while in HS warming up my practice partner prior to the opening rounds and while coaching walking in my first parade of champions with one of my wrestlers.  Nothing like being at ground level in the thick of things.   Match wise on the Seymour side it would have to be our now coach Curt Schliebaum coming from behind and pinning then nationally ranked Richie Elkins on Friday night to advance.  Only thing better would be wrestling in it myself but that time has sense past.  One of my favorite finals matches was the Anthony Williams vs Aaron Sessa scramble fest all the way to OT.

by far would be my junior year when the only person left in the tournament on our team was Caleb Schmitt and we all were practicing hard in the room so he knew we were working just as hard as him.

Then when he was in the finals and the match was close and there he is going into sudden death. He wins the flip and chooses down and we all knew he had it. And seeing him stand up in sudden death and having the whole place go nuts.

I feel like we all have our own memories of the best times at state. There is a plethora of memories that I have from state that are all so inspiring. My favorite would be my come from behind victory in OT to place 5th last year. But the most intense and memremable moments would probably be paul young's escape in OT for the championship, and of course the greastest  indiana high school match of all time...

Dolly and Maurer... hands down the best ever.

Seein darren elkins win his state title was pretty cool ive never seen anyone work as hard as he did in the wrestling room and running around portage. the hard work he put in paid off his senior year.. also seeing schmitt and zimmer was a pretty amazing finals prolly the best ive ever seen

I feel like we all have our own memories of the best times at state. There is a plethora of memories that I have from state that are all so inspiring. My favorite would be my come from behind victory in OT to place 5th last year. But the most intense and memremable moments would probably be paul young's escape in OT for the championship, and of course the greastest  indiana high school match of all time...

Dolly and Maurer... hands down the best ever.

Not even going to mention watching your brother wrestle in the finals?

My favorite has to be when Blake Maurer wrestled Alex Dolly in the finals, and somehow hung on in ot.

nOW DAT WAS A epic battle/ to me by far da best dat I can remember. I also remmber deem doing some greco in da ISWA / day where some major barn burners

Hey xbrick132. It's Scoot. I know I probably never told you this, but it's better late than never. I just wanted to thank you for the time you put in with all of us. I know you made me want to do better just so I could impress you. (which wasn't an easy thing to do.)lol Anyway you always pushing us has helped me in life when things got tough. So thanks again I hope you are doing well and maybe I will see you at state and I can buy you a beer.

The most inspiring thing that I can remember from the state finals is watching Daniel Mercer's teammates from Franklin carry around a big sign with a picture of Daniel on it.  WOW, it give me chills just thinking about it!

I was thinking the same thing.  Can't forget that.  Don't think I want to forget it either.

My most memorable team state finals was the match between MD and Hobart.  Hobart gets a big lead and MD comes roaring back to win with a pin in the heavy weight match.  The roar from the MD crowd was like a jet engine.  My greatest memory from individual state has to be the '03 Wildcats with 4 consecutive state champs.  Craig Weinzapfel conserative, but dominating.  Dustin Nosko with the pin in the finals.  Sam Wildeman with the pin in the semis then win in the finals.  topped off by the Muarer/Dolly match.  It just don't get no better than that.  The most excited I ever got was the Craig Weinzapfel upset victory over undefeated, defending state champ John Sheets.  I took my son-in-law to that finals, and he thought I was nuts(I think he was right).  I was sitting in the middle of a huge Bellmont Crowd at the time.  I should probably thank them for letting me live.  Craigs pin in the finals was pretty spectacular, too.

I really wish somebody had this Dolly vs. Maurer match on tape :(

I've only been to the past two State Finals.

From that, I'd have to say that Kieffer vs. Raley was an awesome match.

So was McGinley vs. Young.

My most memorable experience from Team State was also the MD/Hobart match.  I was standing in the middle of that MD crowd when Jankowski got pinned and you could have heard a pin drop the MD crowd was so silent.  I think Dewig then got beat and it was looking hopeless.  I was quite an emotional roller coaster  when the remaining wrestlers won to eek out a win.  The place went nuts.  I will never forget it.

At individual State I remember throwing MikeGoebel and Randy Helfrich in the pool in celebration after they won their first Coaches Trophy in 1986 at Market Square.  At least we let them remove their wallets first!!!

Eric Keith from Portage in 2OT with 2 seconds left goes out of bounds.  Then when they come back to center, he bolts out and get the escape to win state.  It's why you pay for the 2 day pass every year! 

What about the chills we all got when Jason Cook finally got to the top of the podium with a win? 

TripleB  I also remember when they siad this is the last curtain call at Market Square arena and Matt Martin remember the bathtub thing on tv WTF.

I was not in the viewing audiance for the TV bathtub debacle, but I know a few people that may have been scared for life from it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.