The Genius Ratings 1.0 are Released

Y2CJ41

genius.jpg

http://www.indianamat.com/genius-ratings-version-1-0/2010/01/

What are ?Genius Ratings??

Indianamat.com?s ?Genius Ratings? are comprehensive computer ratings based on every match result presented in the results section of Indianamat.com?s discussion page, plus many other results gleaned from websites and coaches? sources.  Even matches with out-of-state teams were considered when that team wrestled at least two Indiana opponents.

Two Ratings

The ?Genius Ratings? are made up of two separate ratings designed to serve two distinctly different purposes.  One rating is called POTENTIAL and uses match scores only to rate all teams, disregarding wins and losses.  The other rating is called REWARD and uses only wins and losses data, not considering scores at all.

Excellent work, very thorough. One question, how does it account for matches with out of state teams, or does it?

I think that is in the explanation somewhere. I believe as long as an out-of-state team wrestled at least two Indiana teams, they were included into the rankings.

This would be such a great tool and discussion piece if people would just post all of their results.

If we could just get dual scores from every team in the state.........

I completely agree, but I have to tell you I incorporated a TON of results.  On average, every team has more than 30 distinctly different results.  Obviously there are a few that don't have great results available, but there's definitely enough to make both ratings at least as accurate as any rating system currently in place for college football (11-13 results), for example.  Especially for POTENTIAL, all I have to have is 4 or 5 solid score results before  they are slotted well because of how the interconnectedness of the system works.  Your quality gets revealed pretty quickly as long as you don't wrestle five top-10 teams or five bottom-10 teams.  It's just the SOS data that suffers.

Excellent work, very thorough. One question, how does it account for matches with out of state teams, or does it?

Yes.  About 15 out-of-state teams' results are used to help with connectedness between teams. 

With Stats like these.... this is a great tool to use with AD's to help set up a more competitive schedule.  Administrators do not like to see their schools name below other schools on any list! haha This is great stuff! Great Work!

My head just hurts trying to wrap around all of this information.  I can fathom how much thought and compiling it took to get this far.  Thanks for the efforts and good luck on keeping up with everything in the future.  It looks like a huge project to keep together.

Yes.  About 15 out-of-state teams' results are used to help with connectedness between teams. 

How, or did, they factor in to strength of schedule? I can't imagine trying to put together something of this magnitude, I'm still in awe a little.

How, or did, they factor in to strength of schedule? I can't imagine trying to put together something of this magnitude, I'm still in awe a little.

Yes, they did.  I just didn't include them in the list.  So teams that wrestled Farmington, MO, or Ryle or Trinity from KY, for example, have a higher SOS than they would have had.  They had to do well against those teams, though, to see any benefit in their ranking. 

My head just hurts trying to wrap around all of this information.  I can fathom how much thought and compiling it took to get this far.  Thanks for the efforts and good luck on keeping up with everything in the future.  It looks like a huge project to keep together.

It took less than 100 hours...I'll just say that and nothing more.  :)

I like it... but I think Tipton should be 234th instead of 235th.

What is the possibility that this could be done for all the individual wrestlers in the state?

It probably wouldn't be "difficult" because it is all done using a computer program.  It would be ridiculously time consuming to compile all of the data though...

A system is available to automatically record and make available online all high school team and indinidual results. The "NWCA Live Scorebook" uses the already entered names from the the NWCA weight management program.(so it is ready for use by any program in Indiana)

All Division I college wrestling programs are required by the NCAA to post results within 2 hours, and most all are using this program.

The match score is kept on a laptop instead of a scorebook. It refreshes online every 30 seconds, so fans away from the site can follow the action. The program stores all the info and can produce individual stats and team stats.

If all IHSAA wrestling schools used this system, stats would be easily obtained. Media or anyone interested could pull up win leaders, takedown leaders etc....and these power rating could be much more easily done.

Plus the Live Scorebook has a feature that ties the scorebook with your video camera to webcast your matches for free. Check it out.

A system is available to automatically record and make available online all high school team and indinidual results. The "NWCA Live Scorebook" uses the already entered names from the the NWCA weight management program.(so it is ready for use by any program in Indiana)

All Division I college wrestling programs are required by the NCAA to post results within 2 hours, and most all are using this program.

The match score is kept on a laptop instead of a scorebook. It refreshes online every 30 seconds, so fans away from the site can follow the action. The program stores all the info and can produce individual stats and team stats.

If all IHSAA wrestling schools used this system, stats would be easily obtained. Media or anyone interested could pull up win leaders, takedown leaders etc....and these power rating could be much more easily done.

Plus the Live Scorebook has a feature that ties the scorebook with your video camera to webcast your matches for free. Check it out.

I agree, but it would have to come down from the IHSAA for this to be mandated.  We have enough trouble getting sectional brackets.

It probably wouldn't be "difficult" because it is all done using a computer program.  It would be ridiculously time consuming to compile all of the data though...

Yeah, the time consuming aspect is that ultimately there's no getting around manually entering cell numbers attached to each opponent's score differential or win/loss baseline.  For individuals, this would mean manually entering 30 or more opponents' cell numbers per individual--something like 150,000 cells--into your spreadsheet.  Even if you can do this at 5 seconds per entry with no errors, you're talking 200 hours to set it up...woops, the season's already over!  It would almost have to be someone's full-time job from the beginning of the season.

Interesting reading material. Well done. And, you are right. We ought to report our scores more . I personally have let that system down. We have beaten 4 or 5 schools above us, but is entirely coaches fault that we haven't reported. Still interesting. Thanks for your work and reporting.

It's not too late to make adjustments and incorporate them in the editions after sectionals and regionals.  Just click on my name "maligned" in this reply and send me a personal message with your team and results.  Or post them in the results section.  Even if you're not sure of the scores, just tell me who you beat and I can incorporate the data into the REWARD version.  Thanks.

maligned

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.