girl wrestling

In regards to Micheala Hutchison, she comes from a pretty stellar wrestling family.  Her brother Eli was a 4x state champ and is at Boise State.  Brother Zeb was a 2x state champ.  Eli and Zeb were both AA's at fargo at least once.  Her sister Melina placed 3rd in state and two of her younger siters have also qualified for the state tournament.  Micheala beat #14 ranked 125 lbs Alan Bartlelli, Boise State, in the junior high state championship (two years later Alan pinned her in the HS State finals).  Micheala placed 2,1,4,5 at the high school state meet. 

Michaela was 1-3 at Oklahoma City University last year (as of 3/7/2009).  She doesn't show up on the OCU roster this year.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Michaela was 1-3 at Oklahoma City University last year (as of 3/7/2009).  She doesn't show up on the OCU roster this year.

Adendum- Michaela was 1-3 on the OCU MENS team last year, defeating a wrestler from Bacone.  She was 34-0 on the womens team.

Guest Super Nova

I know back in the early 2000's a female I coached at Bloomington North moved to California for her senior year and won the girls state championship and finished second in the boys state championship...

Her name was Hannah Paarlberg and I belive it was at 112 or 119 in Cali.  Her brother was Jacob Paarlberg a state qualifier from Bloomington North.

Adendum- Michaela was 1-3 on the OCU MENS team last year, defeating a wrestler from Bacone.  She was 34-0 on the womens team.

Thanks for the update.  I didn't even know that OCU had a girls team.  And looks like they are awesome.

Looking at the OCU web site I see that OCU were the 2009 WCWA National Champs. And they look like they are undefeated in 2010 so far. 

And not to nit-pick, but the OCU web site says she was 34-3 in 2009.  She is 32-1 this year, as of 1/20/2010.

From the OCU web site:

# Michaela Hutchison

Height: 5-4

Weight: 121

Class: Sophomore

Hometown: Soldotna, Alaska

High School: Soldotna Skyview (Alaska)

Highly-touted wrestler ? expected to eventually contend for international honors ? 2008-09: Went 34-3 with 55-kilogram national crown ? 14 pins ? all-American ? Outstanding Wrestler in NWCA National Duals on Jan. 10-11 ? TheMat.com wrestler of the week for Sept. 30-Oct. 6 ? beat teammate Ashley Hudson 2-0, 3-0 in national title match Jan. 31 ? pinned Jessica Kelvas and won in a technical fall over Lauren Louive of Cumberlands on Nov. 29 ? pinned Brittany Bertolani of Missouri Valley in 34 seconds on Nov. 8 ? 1-3 vs. men?s competition ? beat Tyler Kinslow of Bacone 13-4 on Feb. 11 ? team Jim Wade Award winner ? High school: Became first girl ever to win a state championship when she won 103-pound title in Alaska state championships as sophomore ? placed second, fourth and fifth in high school state ? four-time letter winner in soccer, cross country, and wrestling ? lettered once in swimming ? two-time cross country state qualifier ? coached by Neldon Gardner ? Amateur: Fifth at 55 in 2009 U.S. Senior Women?s Championships ? won 2008 Sparta Cup title ? ninth in 2008 Junior World Championships ? Personal: Majoring in biology ? daughter of Mike and Mary Hutchinson ? born on Sept. 20, 1989 in Soldotna, Alaska.

More on Michaela: 

Nickname: Hutch, Mikki

Yes, you are correct, she was 34-3.  I believe the 3 losses last year were all to male comp.  I dunno though, could be wrong.  The Hutchisons are great people, nice family (HUGE too, something like 11 kids).  I wrestled Zeb in HS and he was tough.  Unfortunate circumstances kept him from competing in college as I understand it and Eli is really focused on his academia at BSU.

There is NO place in Boys wrestling for a Girl!!!!

yet Penn high school, one of the largest schools in the state found a place for one..... so I guess there is a place ;-) Maybe you should say, girls should not wrestle boys instead cause fact is, there are 14 places on every varsity team for a girl to wrestle.

I'll say it

Girls can wrestle girls all they want but not boys

just my oponion

I'm pretty right wing, but Im ok with it.  Hope  your old lady can manage to get out of the kitchen for a while this wkend to watch sectionals.

Funny thing is Sarah is a girl that would beat a guy and the guy would still want to date her...she cute!

Hmm a 48 year old man making that comment, are u a registered sex offender? Or have you yet to be caught yet?  :) kidding, atleast i hope i am.

I'll say it

just my oponion

What?  Yes there is.  Bayside had a good wrestler name Kristi Barnes that won a big match over Valley with the score tied.  ;)

I'll say it

just my oponion

I think it is wonderful that high school wrestling is not "boys wrestling".

The criteria for a wrestler being on a high school team is and should be wrestling ability.

The females on high school varsity teams have that ability or they wouldn't be there.

The same sorry excuses people give for not wanting females to wrestle were used when I was a kid against girls playing baseball or football, against females being firemen, policemen or doctors etc. or with people of color being able to do similar activities.

Isn't it funny how when that skilled female or a person of color ends up saving that biased person's loved one's life how those ignorant, biased opinions seem to fall by the wayside.

I am proud as Americans we live in a place where discrimination by gender, skin color and religion is not allowed.

I think it is wonderful that high school wrestling is not "boys wrestling".

The criteria for a wrestler being on a high school team is and should be wrestling ability.

The females on high school varsity teams have that ability or they wouldn't be there.

The same sorry excuses people give for not wanting females to wrestle were used when I was a kid against girls playing baseball or football, against females being firemen, policemen or doctors etc. or with people of color being able to do similar activities.

Isn't it funny how when that skilled female or a person of color ends up saving that biased person's loved one's life how those ignorant, biased opinions seem to fall by the wayside.

I am proud as Americans we live in a place where discrimination by gender, skin color and religion is not allowed.

I can almost hear the Battle Hymn of the Republic playing softly in the backround.

I personally don't care what the IHSAA web site says, it's MENS wrestling, not boys. Boys play basketball. I don't have a problem with females wrestling on a MENS team. If she and her parents don't mind, I don't either. My son wrestled girls several times in freestyle and middle school with the instructions : she is just another wrestler, run your normal moves and don't be concerned about her being a girl. After the match, then she is treated differently. But my point still remains, we should not call it boys wrestling, it should be referred to as MENS wrestling.

WOW not one single person agrees with me, thats hard to believe.

If a few boys that dont like football want to play volleyball on the girls team  is that ok?

I stand behind what I said, Girls should ONLY wrestle girls.

And furthermore its under BOYS SPORTS jacksaw

AND to this guy

"I am proud as Americans we live in a place where discrimination by gender, skin color and religion is not allowed."

geeeezeee

lol, I'm not sure where to start, but my favorite part is the laughing at civil rights, now that's what I call entertainment on a Friday night.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.