TEAM STATE PAIRINGS!!!!

decbell1

Quarterfinals

Match 1: Winner at Peru vs. Winner at Jasper.

Match 2: Winner at Seymour vs. Winner at Adams Central.

Match 3: Winner at Greencastle vs. Winner at North Montgomery.

Match 4: Winner at Portage vs. Winner at Jimtown.

According to Maligned, that would mean

Match 1: McCutcheon vs. #7 EMD/#6 Reitz/#5 Castle

Match 2: #14 New Palestine vs. #3 Yorktown

Match 3: #4 Perry Meridian vs. #13 Cathedral

Match 4: #1 Mishawaka vs. #2 Crown Point

I think the New Pal/Yorktown match could also be interesting just because of the fact that they are in the same conference and will definitely be prepared for one another. Obviously, I think Yorktown still wins, but New Pal definitely has an advantage over a team that has not seen Yorktown before.

Team Regional Pairings too.

Team Regionals

Date: Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010.

Admission: $6.

Qualifiers: The championship team in the individual sectional tournament advances to the regional round of the team tournament.

Advancement: This is a single elimination tournament in which the winning team advances to the next round.

1.   Portage, 6 pm CT

Match 1: Winner at East Chicago Central vs. Winner at LaPorte.

Match 2: Winner at Crown Point vs. Winner at Calumet.

Championship: Winner of Match 1 vs. Winner of Match 2.

2.   Jimtown, 6 pm ET

Match 1: Winner at Westview vs. Winner at Elkhart Memorial.

Match 2: Winner at Plymouth vs. Winner at Mishawaka.

3.   Adams Central, 6 pm ET

Match 1: Winner at New Haven vs. Winner at Carroll (Fort Wayne).

Match 2: Winner at Jay County vs. Winner at Delta.

4.   Peru, 6 pm ET

Match 1: Winner at Oak Hill vs. Winner at Twin Lakes.

Match 2: Winner at Lafayette Jefferson vs. Winner at Peru.

5.   North Montgomery, 6 pm ET

Match 1: Winner at Lawrence Central vs. Winner at Hamilton Heights.

Match 2: Winner at Crawfordsville vs. Winner at Zionsville.

6.   Greencastle, 6 pm ET

Match 1: Winner at Mooresville vs. Winner at Northview.

Match 2: Winner at Avon vs. Winner at Decatur Central.

7.   Seymour, 6 pm ET

Match 1: Winner at Tri vs. Winner at Franklin County.

Match 2: Winner at Jennings County vs. Winner at Shelbyville.

8.   Jasper, 6:30 pm ET

Match 1: Winner at Southridge vs. Winner at Castle.

Match 2: Winner at Evansville Central vs. Winner at Jeffersonville.

1.  Peru, 6 pm ET

Match 1: Marion vs. Logansport

Match 2: McCutcheon vs. Huntington North

2.  Jasper, 6:30 pm ET

Match 1: Jasper vs. #5 Castle.

Match 2: #6 Ev. Reitz vs. #16 Jeffersonville

3. Seymour, 6 pm ET

Match 1: New Castle vs. South Dearborn

Match 2: Jennings County vs. #14 New Palestine

4. Adams Central, 6 pm ET

Match 1: Homestead vs. Whitko

Match 2: #12 Bellmont vs. #3 Yorktown

5. Greencastle, 6 pm ET

Match 1: #15 Franklin vs. #11 Bloomington South

Match 2: Brownsburg vs. #4 Perry Meridian

6.  North Montgomery, 6 pm ET

Match 1: #13 Cathedral vs. Alexandria

Match 2: Fountain Central vs. #19 Carmel

7. Portage, 6 pm CT

Match 1: Munster vs. #9 Portage

Match 2: #2 Crown Point vs. #8 Merrillville

8.  Jimtown, 6 pm ET

Match 1: DeKalb vs. Elkhart Memorial

Match 2: Warsaw vs. #1 Mishawaka

To be honest, this is the draw that we needed to make the day as competitive as possible.

Crown Point gets its shot at Mishawaka again. Then Mishawaka has to deal with a PM team that will definitely want some revenge.

And once they get to the finals, they get Yorktown, and they're the only team left in the state that has a chance against them.

Mishawaka has already beaten Crown Point, Cathedral, Perry Meridian, and Castle.

1.   Portage, 6 pm CT

Match 1: Munster vs. #8 Merrillville

Match 2: #2 Crown Point vs. #9 Portage

6.   Greencastle, 6 pm ET

Good draws for Perry and Merrillville.  It doesn't matter if you're seemingly the best team (like Crown Point at Portage); if you have to beat two teams against which you're favored 70% to 30% back to back, you have only about 50/50 odds at surviving both matches.  Perry got a nice draw; CP did not. 

Ya, Merrillville definitely got the benefit of that draw.

With all the rules about forfeiting in the team tournament after you've won, it makes coaching in those matches that much harder I bet.

As long as no one pulls a Peru, it should be a great Wednesday of wrestling.

Good draws for Perry and Merrillville.  It doesn't matter if you're seemingly the best team (like Crown Point at Portage); if you have to beat two teams against which you're favored 70% to 30% back to back, you have only about 50/50 odds at surviving both matches.  Perry got a nice draw; CP did not. 

Ok, but is that correct?  Here are the draws for the Portage Regional:

1.  Portage, 6 pm CT

Match 1: Winner at East Chicago Central vs. Winner at LaPorte.

Match 2: Winner at Crown Point vs. Winner at Calumet.

Wouldn't that mean Crown Point has Merrillville then the winner of Portage vs. Munster (assuming those teams win their sectional)?  I thought Merrillville went to the Calumet sectional, Portage went to the LaPorte sectional, and Crown Point obviously goes to the Crown Point sectional.  Am I wrong?

With all the rules about forfeiting in the team tournament after you've won, it makes coaching in those matches that much harder I bet.

As long as no one pulls a Peru, it should be a great Wednesday of wrestling.

Dane, can you explain both of these?  I'm not that familiar with the team state championship rules/format.  And what happened with Peru?

base,

Example: If Team Warrior is beating Team Cowboy and they are up by 13 points with 215 and Hwt still to come, they can't forfeit both weights. Otherwise, they would have to continue to forfeit 215 and Hwt the rest of the way through the tourney. I believe, this is designed to give the fans their 14 matches worth of money.

As far as Peru, they brought to Team Semi-state a team, that lets just say wasn't their names of the kids wrestling in the individual tourney (JV) against the Mighty Braves of Bellmont a few years back. One can imagine, Coach Hobbs was being smart and seeing no possible way to win, wanted to ensure his kids in individual tourney were healthy and ready for the individual srmi-state.

"Good draws for Perry and Merrillville.  It doesn't matter if you're seemingly the best team (like Crown Point at Portage); if you have to beat two teams against which you're favored 70% to 30% back to back, you have only about 50/50 odds at surviving both matches.  Perry got a nice draw; CP did not."

While I understand the math used to arrive at this conclusion (probability of 1st win (.7) times the probability of 2nd win (.7) = probability of winning both = .49), you must also look at the other teams involved to get an accurate picture. As CP wrestles Merrillville, Portage wrestles Munster. Even if Portage is a 100% lock to win (probability = 1), then that combined with their probability of winning against CP of .3 (1 - .7) gives them a probability of winning both of .3. Crown Point is still the favorite. 

1.  Peru, 6 pm ET

Match 1: Marion vs. Logansport

Match 2: McCutcheon vs. Huntington North

2.  Jasper, 6:30 pm ET

Match 1: Jasper vs. #5 Castle.

Match 2: #6 Ev. Reitz vs. #16 Jeffersonville

3. Seymour, 6 pm ET

Match 1: New Castle vs. South Dearborn

Match 2: Jennings County vs. #14 New Palestine

4. Adams Central, 6 pm ET

Match 1: Homestead vs. Whitko

Match 2: #12 Bellmont vs. #3 Yorktown

5. Greencastle, 6 pm ET

6.  North Montgomery, 6 pm ET

Match 1: #13 Cathedral vs. Alexandria

Match 2: Fountain Central vs. #19 Carmel

7. Portage, 6 pm CT

Match 1: Munster vs. #9 Portage

Match 2: #2 Crown Point vs. #8 Merrillville

8.  Jimtown, 6 pm ET

Match 1: DeKalb vs. Elkhart Memorial

Match 2: Warsaw vs. #1 Mishawaka

"Good draws for Perry and Merrillville.  It doesn't matter if you're seemingly the best team (like Crown Point at Portage); if you have to beat two teams against which you're favored 70% to 30% back to back, you have only about 50/50 odds at surviving both matches.  Perry got a nice draw; CP did not."

While I understand the math used to arrive at this conclusion (probability of 1st win (.7) times the probability of 2nd win (.7) = probability of winning both = .49), you must also look at the other teams involved to get an accurate picture. As CP wrestles Merrillville, Portage wrestles Munster. Even if Portage is a 100% lock to win (probability = 1), then that combined with their probability of winning against CP of .3 (1 - .7) gives them a probability of winning both of .3. Crown Point is still the favorite. 

Absolutely, CP is still the favorite.  If they get half of the potential probability, there's not enough to go around for anyone else to be the favorite.  I was merely stating the fact that the road is much, much more difficult having to go through BOTH Portage and Merrillville. 

As a fan of Indiana wrestling, I am so GLAD that these "predictions" are being made so early. It is such good locker room material to post. To count teams out at such an early stage. If I remember correctly Mishawka/ Penn match was the closest one of the year for Mishawaka Bellmont/ Yorktown Mucutchen/ Delphi. Anything can happen and I am glad to see that these young men will have something to prove in two weeks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.