H.S Recruiting

Who is for it, I am one that is for it. All of the power house progams does recruiting at some level. Cathedral has done it for years, others to. If someone is a great wrestler and they live where there school has bad coaching I doubt you would want you're child to attend. You want to go where is best for the wrestler, to better there future. For instance Sliga lives in Nobelsville never wrestled CYO but I heard is going to attend Cathedral next year same with Harvey I don't know if either one is even Catholic. But I do not see a problem with it. I had to move a mile down the road so my son could go to Perry instead of Manual. If I lost my job or something and had to go to the house I own in IPS my son would loose a great deal by going to Manual. Or pay for a school like Roncalli or Cathedral I would do the samething I would pay the money before I take a step back with Manual. I wish there was a way that when the child got into H.S they could choose what school they would like to attend.  That is just my opinion.  We all wants best for our kids an education is top priority but having athletics on you're college application helps out. No knock to Manual or there wrestling staff, I just see kids from that area dropping out of school everyday, that is all I was getting at.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On one side, it sucks for the schools that lose these kids, but on the other side, the kids get to attend schools that are great institutions (Cathedral being a "Blue Ribbon" school). If a kid has a choice to go to a mediocre public high school or go to a "college preparatory" high school, I'm guessing their  parents would encourage the latter.

People don't just go these schools for sports. I lived outside of Marion county and at least 3 people from my public middle school left for Cathedral, and only 1 of them played sports. If my kids want to go to Cathedral, they will, regardless of what it costs us. If not, then they can stay at whichever township school we will be living in at that point.

Go to a different school for academic purposes.  Academics will get you further in life than wrestling ever will.  You are much more likely to get a scholarship for your academics than wrestling skills.

I'll second that, I'd say the percentage of kids that get academic scholarships far outweigh athletic scholarships. Hit the books then hit the mat, if you get a full ride somewhere for wrestling great! go for it but if something gets screwed up like an injury or a freak loss at semi-state man you're out of luck. A lot more money is "made" in the class room than on the mat.  I love wrestling but there's more to life.

So you think my son would have a better chance in going to college by attending a school like Manual getting all a's and haveing a average wrestling career. Or going to PM making the same grades and being a 3x state finalist, with the college coaches Tonte brings to the room. 

Which one would have better odds on going to college?  Not manual they only have like even a 20% graduation rate. Obviously you have not had to deal with this situation

I really wouldn't advertise what you're posting on here right now. In my opinion you're already a case to be looked at by IHSAA.

You better hope for about 3 state titles along with a couple "stop signs" from Fargo if you think you are going to get any money that is significant to pay for your education.  Wrestling scholarships are extremely limited and 99% of the people who get one are on a partial ride.   Even if you go DII or NAIA there are even less scholarships available, so the likelyhood of getting a full ride is even slimmer.  

You are much more likely to get an academic scholarship than a wrestling scholarship.  Being a 3x qualifier with placing twice and maybe one championship you will be lucky to get 1/4th of a scholarship at the DI level.  Remember you are from Indiana, not Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc.    

I do not think he said anything was wrong with going to PM...I believe Y2 stated that you should pick going to another school for academics. I agree academics make a big part of your college choices. My brother had a chance to go to a college for sports, but his academics were not good enough. I think you should choose to go to a different school for a better education. I do not disagree with you taking your son to PM b/c he will probably receive a better education there. Not just in wrestling.

Go to a different school for academic purposes.  Academics will get you further in life than wrestling ever will.  You are much more likely to get a scholarship for your academics than wrestling skills.

So true, but let's be realistic... kids are not leaving from one school to another for acedemic reasons in all cases.

I can think of one senario in this state that has happened time and time again... School A is an ok wrestling school, and School B is a wrestling powerhouse.  School A is nationally recognized for its academics, and School B is a joke when it comes to academics.  However, wrestlers leave in masses from School A to School B.

So you think my son would have a better chance in going to college by attending a school like Manual getting all a's and haveing a average wrestling career. Or going to PM making the same grades and being a 3x state finalist, with the college coaches Tonte brings to the room. 

Which one would have better odds on going to college?  Not manual they only have like even a 20% graduation rate. Obviously you have not had to deal with this situation

HAHAHA dil-ooo-shin-ul

3x IN State finalist vs. Any 4.0 student in a match for financial assistance is like Warren Sapp vs. Fred Astaire in Dancing with the Stars.

You could combine every dollar of wrestling scholarship $ available in the US and not equal 1/10th of 1% of the academic $.

Well said Awood. We have a daughter who graduated with an4.09 gpa and also got a tennis scholarship. Why did she get the tennis scholarship? Because they wanted a smart kid on there tennis team. She was an honorable mention academic all american last year.

caliwrestler92 ,

First, A question for you. Did you move your child to the PM distric for athletic reasons, or for academic reasons.

Second, do you really think your child is going to get his college paid for through wrestling alone?

Third, and this is just a suggestion. Make sure your kid gets the grades. You can be a 3-4 times state champ, but if you are pulling down just passing grasdes, no college coach is going to risk a scholarship. However, you can be a 1 time placer, make it to semi-state 3 years, and get good grades, and have coaches calling you all the time asking about you wrestling for them, and get a scholarship for mixed athletic, and academic reasons.

How many wraslin scholarships are dare in Indiana ?

Iu 9.9

Purdue 9.9

Divide dat up over 5 years / better off sendin your kid for math lessons dan goin to to CIA  or a wraslin in school !! Gonna get a better return on your investment. Im sure most wouldn't believe but da ole Rat believes you have a way better chance whit da acedemics !!

That is easy for you to say "Suck it up" please, no one is wineing about it I just wanted other views. I know when I left the house I own in IPS to send my son to PM it was 80% for the wrestling , My son gets good grades but just grades is not going to get him to a college he is wanting ,you need athletics and the coaching has a lot to do with that process.  Switching from a Public school is different than township schools. You must of never had to struggle with bills!! In this economy it is a hard choise.

wineing?  May I ask where you attended school?

That is easy for you to say "Suck it up" please, no one is wineing about it I just wanted other views. I know when I left the house I own in IPS to send my son to PM it was 80% for the wrestling , My son gets good grades but just grades is not going to get him to a college he is wanting ,you need athletics and the coaching has a lot to do with that process.  Switching from a Public school is different than township schools. You must of never had to struggle with bills!! In this economy it is a hard choise.

wineing?  May I ask where you attended school?

I would have to guess IU. ;)

Trust me. there is WAY more money out there for academics.  If you get good grades and do well on the ACT/SAT, Purdue will be kind enough to give you $8,000 a year  ;D  Plus, if you have other scholarships, that money just goes in the bank  ;D  Just concentrate on school

Get good grades and SAT/ACT and you get 8,000 from iu. And you can always try to walk on. There is only so many scholarships for  wrestlers but anyone with good enough grades gets the $

Ahawkeye -

I really don't think that the school that a student-athlete attends will have that much influence on be recruited or not. It is about the academic rigor that the student takes, I honestly can careless if my child is a honor student in IPS or a Township school what it comes down to is the courses (AP, Honors, etc..) that the student has taken and how well they did in them. Contrary to what some may think IPS has one of the the most realistic athetlic eligibilityand attendance policies in the state. In order to compete a student athlete must have a 2.0 GPA and no more that 2 grades below at C and the must have a 90% attendance rate. I know at some "townships that you are allowed to compete with all D's. Just to Manual some kudos coach, Jason Stewart, has an academic All-State, Wrestler, Darius Sawyers with an 3.98 GPA and I can assure that he was not taking underwater basket weaving or pottery. It really comes down to being a student-athlete first. If you are good enough to get recruited it does not matter what school you attended, it is about staying there and graduating.

At the risk of being boo'd off the board.

If you ask any teacher, they will almost always say the single biggest reason why a student does well in the classroom is parental involvment. If we as parents took as much time to monitor our childs actions in the classroom as we do in their sports activities we would all be much better off. I am not saying that sports parents dont do this. Only that if you are going to push your child, you and they will be better served by our pushing in the classroom.

If you ask any teacher, they will almost always say the single biggest reason why a student does well in the classroom is parental involvment. If we as parents took as much time to monitor our childs actions in the classroom as we do in their sports activities we would all be much better off. I am not saying that sports parents dont do this. Only that if you are going to push your child, you and they will be better served by our pushing in the classroom.

No Boo from me!  You have hit the nail squarely sir.

One personal observation from someone who knows all to well what a College Recruiter looks for I can tell you this much.

The good recruiters will look at the character of the individual AND the family first.  I cannot tell you how many times I have seen kids who were Terror Toys on the mat, but had no idea what they wanted to do with their lives.  That indicates that the young man is not focused on what is really important, and more often than not the parents are not encouraging their kids in the right ways.

As I said just a personal observation.

Tell it, brother!!!

As a teacher, it is painfully obvious which students get support from home and which students have parents who either don't care or don't know how to support them.

Tell it, brother!!!

As a teacher, it is painfully obvious which students get support from home and which students have parents who either don't care or don't know how to support them.

I agree.  It's not just about what you do on the mat.  It's mainly about what you do in the classroom.  A college isn't even going to look at you if you don't have the grades or the SAT scores.  My son made it to state one time and placed third.  He was a Cadet All-American and a Junior All-American at Fargo.  His sophomore year he lost to Cashe Quiroga in the round to go and his senior year he lost to Camden Eppert in the round to go otherwise things may have been different.  He is now wrestling at the University of Chicago.  Yes, this is a DIII school, but it's all about academics and my son is wrestling in college.  DIII is no bunny walk either.  You have wrestlers there that have decided to put education first and wrestling second.  It is a competitive division.  My son is getting 85% of his college tuition paid for by grants and aid from the school because of his grades.  Don't bank on being a three time state champ or state placer.  You never know what kind of draw you will end up with each year.  Work hard on your grades and character.  It's a win-win situation no matter what happens with your wrestling.  It is a work ethic that will be with you for life.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.