Future four-peats?

Promoter480

freshman beat freshman at 103, and the smaller guys will be more likely to get bigger and face more upperclassmen.

Freshman beat three seniors, of unquestionable credentials to take 125.

not to take anything away from 103.  The skill and athleticism at this level is tremendous.  Who knows, Tsirtsis may not grow as much, Phillips might grow more and in 2 or 3 years they might be meeting in the finals (archive this ;)

how many 103 champs as freshman turn out to be 4x champs.... my guess is not too many.... Once Phillips moves up and wrestles a real weight class he will see what real comp. is like.  ex. Raley dominated everyone at 103 last year as a freshman and bumped up to 119 and was an SQ...

The fate of the last six 103lb state champions is not good

2003- Fernando Martinez- placed 3rd in 2004 at 112lbs

2004- Jon Lloyd- did not place in 2005 at 119lbs

2005- Eric Galka- did not place in 2006 at 119lbs

2006- Josh Harper- repeated at 112 in 2007

2007- Camden Eppert- 2nd at 112 in 2008

2008- Ethan Raley- did not place at 119lbs in 2009

2009- Cody Phillips- ????

Only one of the state champions has repeated and three(or half) have not placed the next year.

my guess would be that Phillips is going to be a 112lber next year. He was weighing around 108 at the end of the season, and if you knew his parents, you would know that cody wont turn out that big. Both of his parents are not taller than maybe 5'5, so cody wont be shooting up any time soon, as far as a 4x, there are several things that could happen between now and then...i mean look what happened to campbell...i think cody definately has a shot, but for now lets focus on number two, and as far as his age is concerned, its not his fault that there are freshman and sophomores in his weight class. for some of you who dont know he wrestled 112 and 119 throughout the year to get better competition, and guess what, he won those matches too...his age has nothing to do with how talented this kid is.

how many 103 champs as freshman turn out to be 4x champs.... my guess is not too many.... Once Phillips moves up and wrestles a real weight class he will see what real comp. is like.  ex. Raley dominated everyone at 103 last year as a freshman and bumped up to 119 and was an SQ...

I cant believe you said that!!! They all are real weight classes, some might be tougher than others at times, but give the kids more than that!!! There were some better matches at 103 then in some of the other weights!!!

i think the past has shown it is very hard to repeat let alone 4 times. these two are outstanding wrestlers but with the possibility of injuries and  other wrestlers getting better ( i know they will also) it will be a hard thing to accomplish.  best of luck to both. it will be interesting to watch these two for the next three years.

freshman beat freshman at 103, and the smaller guys will be more likely to get bigger and face more upperclassmen.

There were 5 juniors at 103 this year, and only two of them placed.  The weight class did have a lot of freshmen, but there were some upperclassment in the mix as well.

I cant believe you said that!!! They all are real weight classes, some might be tougher than others at times, but give the kids more than that!!! There were some better matches at 103 then in some of the other weights!!!

i dont think "real" was the adjective champion was looking for, 103 is definately a real weight class with really good wrestlers 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.