Toughest Semi-State

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on wght class,   103 gotta be NC with Campell, Phillips, McKinley, Price, Todd, Harvey ect...    at least one very good wrestler wont advance. same with 112,   Nelson, Mullins, Kieffer, Royteck(sp) and the Crawfordsville kid is big and strong.

The past couple of years, Merriville has definitely produced the most state placers and champs.  However, these things tend to be cyclical.  So I would be surprised for another SS to jump to the top of the list in the next few years.

I guess the question is do you rank this based on:

A.  Which semi-state just produces the most state champs.

B. Which semi-states top 4 (per weight class) would do the best in state.

C. Which semi-state has the most depth (per weight class) from the first round on.

By the way the original post is made "toughest semi-state"  this says to me choice C (or at least B).  In other words which semi-state would a person have the hardest time making it even past the first or second round in because of the depth of talent in every weight class.  Not just which semi-state ends up having the most champions after state is over.

To answer that question would take a much more indepth look at the entire semi-state worth of top wrestlers.

I can think of one particular instance where a kid that would not have even made it to the Merrillville Semi-State would have won the Fort Wayne Semi State.  As I go back into my archives... the Calumet Regional in 2005 at 119 lbs. was going to have in one semi-final  Aaron Sessa of Lake Central vs. Javier Salas of Merrillville,  in the other semi-final it was going to be Eric McGill of Munster vs. Brennan Cosgrove of Hobart.  A shoulder injury ended McGill's season right before the regionals and DA REGION never got to see this take place, but one of these 4 would have been left at home for the Merrillville Semi-State.  Sessa, Cosgrove, and Salas joined up with Adam Walters from Portage the next week at Merrillville, and Sessa went on to place 2nd in the state, Cosgrove was 3rd, Walters was 5th, and Salas was 6th.  One of the 3 from the Calumet Regional may not have even made it to state that year because McGill had wins over Sessa and Cosgrove earlier in the 2005 season.  How's that for how tough the Merrillville Semi-State is!  :o

I'm not from the region and i think the Evansville Semi-State is very very tough year in and year, BUT...i have no problem admitting that the Merrillville SS is the toughest in the state.  The numbers do not lie people.  If you think differently, you simply do not know Indiana HS wrestling as well as you think you do.  Its almost no contest.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.