Great State Finals moments

ontherise219

in 2003-2004,

Billy Naegle of Laporte pinning #1 ranked and huge favorite Nathan Dosher of EMD.

Wow i remember that...That kid could could headlock anybody!

Another one was Thurman Stone over Vinscent Minor 4-2 in the 1999 Finals...He came back and beat him for the title after almost getting teched by him the week before at the merrillville semi-state

Was Vincent Minor from SB Washington?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about a few years ago when the fire alarm went off during the HWT. finals match,  or when Jason Woodson won and everyone from Snyder pulled out shirts that said I am #1,  2 is not a winner,  and 3 nobody remembers

If I remember correctly that shirt had a picture of himself getting his hand rasied on it also.

1986 - State Finals 126lbs. - Hugh Waddington (LN) beating Brian Johnson (Beechgrove).  Royce Deckards first HS State Champ.  Johnson had beat Waddington 3X's that year.  He beat 3 undefeated wrestlers that year @ the state tournament. 

Another that comes to mind is Jacob Blackwell (Roncali) vs. Cooper Samuels (Floyd Central) in the semi's last year at state. 

I believe Y2 has one of the greatest pics in Indiana wrestling history, and it took place in the Carr/Harper match.  Could you post the pic Y2?

I was sent this pic by Y2.  Hard to believe that Harper did not score with this move!

carr.jpg

My greatest memory from state finals was the 112 semi-finals match between John Sheets and Craig Weinzapfel.  An undefeated defending state champion against a kid with 3 losses.  When Craig reversed him for 5, I dang near lost my voice.  I was sitting in the middle of a huge Belmont section and they were all in stunned silence.  Whatever voice I had left was gone when Craig pinned the kid in the championship match. :o

Chase Thompson (40-0) Frankfort (12) def. Heath VanDeventer (46-1) Bloomington North (11), decision 11-4. in 2003. what made this a great moment for me was not the actual match but in the face off VanDeventer ran to the center and instead of shaking Chases hand he gives him a full blown shoulder bump, which chase then laughed at and proceeds to dismantle him in their match. It was pretty funny.

92 State Meet.  The four horseman from Lawernce North (Four in, Four out).  The first of the Smith(Ben Davis)/Douglas(Valpo) debacles (talk about untilizing your injury time!)  Dennis Watson(Merrillville) catching fire at just the right time in the season. Hanover Central's O.C. (Original Champ) Roger Blanton, and of course RIIIICOOOOO  Talamanteeeeeesss!

who won regionals and semi state between Carr and Harper?

it said Carr went undefeated, but Harper only lost once i think

did they only meet at state?

Cuz Carr was from Wawasee right?

I was not following at the time, but let me guess and see if this was before some of the semistates got realigned and Wawasee was attending FWSS at the time.

i think he sustained a leg injury actually

but, Y2, where do you get those pictures at?

are they personally yours?

I remember hearing that Harper had a broken arm from football that required a metal rod, which contributed to harper wrestling a class higher than he otherwise would have.  Does anyone here know whether this was true?

i think he sustained a leg injury actually

but, Y2, where do you get those pictures at?

are they personally yours?

I remember hearing that Harper had a broken arm from football that required a metal rod, which contributed to harper wrestling a class higher than he otherwise would have.  Does anyone here know whether this was true?

yer right

he did suffer a badly shattered arm

i was thinking of Hinton who broke his leg and still got 2nd

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.