Great State Finals moments

ontherise219

I know I'm About 2 months early, But here are two that almost brought the House down

Alex Tsirtsis Griffith vs Craig Weinzaphel  Mater Dei

Both were returning Champions. Alex was on his way to 236-0 when he and Craig meet up. The place exploded when Weinzaphel put him to his back twice, I'm pretty sure there wasn't a single person in their seat. Alex went on to win the match and was a 4x unbeaten champ. But this was his closest match at Conseco.

Angel Escobedo Griffith vs Shane Perkey Jimtown

Angel was on his way for his 3rd title but Shane Perkey Came out and gave his all throwing everything he could at Angel Even out Angel to his back for a good amount time Once again the place went Bonkers and once again no one was in there seat. Angel went on to win by fall.

These were 2 of the biggest moments I remembered

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there could be better drama or a State Finals memory than Lance Ellis' victory against Scott Wilson of Rushville in the 1989 final at 119lbs. All of Market Square was on its feet for at least five minutes taking pictures and cheering. Lance's wins were always polarizing. His final throw to lock up number 4 was a thing of beauty. I still get chills thinking about that. The back flip. Holding up 4 fingers on both hands with his tongue out. Great memories. 

Dolly v. Mauer and Carr v. Harper were two of the greatest high school matches I have ever witnessed.  The intensity of not only the matches, but also the crowd was just simply AWESOME! Just when you thought one had a takedown, the other wrestler escaped without any points being scored.  I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Those were great moments in Indiana wrestling!

Mauer vs. Brownlee, semi finals, 145lbs, 2002

Tabor vs. Janikowski, finals, 1998, 140lbs

Labo vs. Birge, finals, 1998, 112lbs

Howard vs. Doherty, 1999, 112lbs

Ramos vs. Bradbury, 1999, 119lbs

(For the Region Rats out there) Eric Keith getting spladdled 1st round vs. Cassidy Wilson, 1999, 130lbs

Not a State Finals moment (Merrillville Semistate moment),  but it brought the packed Merrillville house down...

Matt Miller (LaPorte) puts Marcus Schontube (Lowell) on his back ....

We should do a all Merrillville Semi State One too.

Mine would be when Alex Dolly peterson rolled Dan Bedoy with like 15 seconds left

Dolly/Maurer was the best I've seen at the finals.

Other memorable moments:

In 2004-2005 alone....

Paul Young winning the first of two titles for Bloomington South over Portage's Dallas Hesseltine in 2OT 4-3.

Javier Salas of Merrillville over Tim McGinley of Cathedral 4-3 in OT.

Brennan Cosgrove destroying returning champ Jon Lloyd 22-14.

In a battle of IU wrestlers, Scott Kelly of Carmel over Alex Warren of Mooresville 9-7 in OT

Senior Reece Humphrey of LN over freshman Andrew Howe of Hanover Central 5-1.

Chris Kasten  of Winamac winning the one that mattered over Merrillville's Dex Larimore 3-2.

in 2003-2004,

Billy Naegle of Laporte pinning #1 ranked and huge favorite Nathan Dosher of EMD.

Dolly/Maurer was the best I've seen at the finals.

Other memorable moments:

In 2004-2005 alone....

Paul Young winning the first of two titles for Bloomington South over Portage's Dallas Hesseltine in 2OT 4-3.

Javier Salas of Merrillville over Tim McGinley of Cathedral 4-3 in OT.

Brennan Cosgrove destroying returning champ Jon Lloyd 22-14.

In a battle of IU wrestlers, Scott Kelly of Carmel over Alex Warren of Mooresville 9-7 in OT

Senior Reece Humphrey of LN over freshman Andrew Howe of Hanover Central 5-1.

Chris Kasten  of Winamac winning the one that mattered over Merrillville's Dex Larimore 3-2.

in 2003-2004,

Billy Naegle of Laporte pinning #1 ranked and huge favorite Nathan Dosher of EMD.

Do we get sued if these matches end up on youtube?

in 2003-2004,

Thats funny, last weekend we had a kid talking about another wrestler and wanting to get to "that guys level".  In this young mans mind that meant that he would have to go to camps far and wide and learn dozens of "new moves".....I used the Billy Naegle reference in describing the importance of doing one thing VERY well and being able to pull it out whenever you wanted....everyone on the planet knew that Naegle was a one trick pony...and he was VERY good at that trick!! HAHA ;D

in 2003-2004,

Wow i remember that...That kid could could headlock anybody!

Another one was Thurman Stone over Vinscent Minor 4-2 in the 1999 Finals...He came back and beat him for the title after almost getting teched by him the week before at the merrillville semi-state

How about Jason Fryar with a late takedown and backpoints on a lateral drop to beat Greg Wagner in the finals.

Jason is a distant cousin of mine, and it was a funny thing..my mom doesnt know a lot about wrestling, but she had followed wagner from the spartan classic on, and she was so dissapointed when she heard about wagner getting beat, and it wasnt until a week later when she found out that her 2nd cousin had a boy who won the state title, and it was jason..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.