Reinoehl of Mishawaka

drewboy78

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I do not want to get into all of the issues, but if the kid wants to wrestle that bad, then the article said that he can go to Penn and do it.  Not knowing the circumstances that motivated his transfer in the first place, it seems like he should just go back to Penn and wrestle.  Harper's a good coach and he would probably do fine there.  There must be something else going on to keep the kid from wrestling his senior season.  That's a huge personal sacrifice to make for him.   

So I do not want to get into all of the issues, but if the kid wants to wrestle that bad, then the article said that he can go to Penn and do it.  Not knowing the circumstances that motivated his transfer in the first place, it seems like he should just go back to Penn and wrestle.  Harper's a good coach and he would probably do fine there.  There must be something else going on to keep the kid from wrestling his senior season.  That's a huge personal sacrifice to make for him.     

According to the news today his dad said he was getting harassed by the teachers at penn.  He said his son got an A on a test and the teachers at penn said there was no way a kid like Reinoehl should get an A.  Thrie is also a girl basketball player who went to elkhart memorial for two years and moved to south bend to go to SB washington is going through the same thing!

I agree with gnome. Simply follow the rules it's not that hard. It is not fair to the rest of the state out there who does follow the rules, just my 2 cents as well. If he wants to wrestle bad enough then go back to Penn.

The problem lies in the appearance of a coverup. 

If the family's intention was to live in the Mishawaka district due to their son's problems at Penn, this conflict might have been avoided by going to the AD / IHSAA at the beginning of school, showing them all their efforts to sell their home, showing them documentation of their agreement to purchase the new home contigent on the sale of the prior home, showing documentation of house showings, showing that the "for sale" sign remains out front and that the realtor is aggressively marketing the house,  showing their financial situation that does not allow two mortgages, and showing documentation that their son had legitimate non-athletic conflicts at Penn and had attempted to resolve them before transferring. 

That gives the AD / IHSAA a chance to resolve the situation in advance.  And shame on us for discussing this, if the family did speak with the proper people up front, when it became clear their home would not sell promptly.

I would have to agree with whomever said that this anonymous source remains anonymous. 

I also agree with what was said earlier with invalidating his junior year instead of keeping him off the mat his senior year.  The judgment should be retroactive to last year.  Since the standard time for a transfer to regain eligibility is one year, his time is already up.  He gets to wrestle this year.

As for people saying rules need to be followed, I totally agree.  However, since the matter happened last year (school year) and it was with a matter that pertains to the previous season, why does he lose his eligibility for this year?  If he is living at his grandparent's house in Mishawaka, then how does this effect this current season?

This is Really stupid! He should be able to wrestle im a friend of his and he knows who did it! About 4 years ago if any one remembers Scott Gann Transfred to MHS from st. joe south bend the only reason any of this is coming up is because MHS won state! also its not like it matters MHS is Deep we have aaron Mersich and his brother tyler

Hey, Tipthescales, how do you undo a year that has already happened?  Do you have a time machine?  If he wasn't eligible, the punishment needs to take place.  You have to take away the entire experience and that can't happen retroactively.  Very unfortunate this was his senior year.  From what I've read, he's a good kid and he'll land on his feet.  Hopefully, he learned a really good lesson from all of this and maybe some of the other wrestling programs will also learn a lesson. 

I agree with others who have said to change the rules, but follow them until they change.  A lot of energy is wasted complaining/speculating about the creeper who took the videos.  The real issue is that a 5 person review board said he wasn't eligible.  I would guess they had information the family is not fessing up to in the article, but who knows for sure.  As for his move, come on, he was unhappy because a teacher accused him of cheating!  When I read the article, it seemed obvious that this was done because he wanted to be on the dominant local team.  Unfortunately, there is the right way to make this happen and the wrong way.  They chose the wrong way and got caught.

After reading the article again, something funny struck me. It wasn't mentioned if he was attending classes. I would think if he was working out in the wrestling room, he'd be attending classes. So if he is attending classes, he's doing his part of the deal. Who dropped the ball here?

Y2,

" The Sandefer's built a house in Mishawaka school district."

But wasn't there some topic from knockle heads questioning the move? I guess I'm just trying to make a point that there are a lot of jealous folks out there that can't always mind their own business.

Y2,

But wasn't there some topic from knockle heads questioning the move? I guess I'm just trying to make a point that there are a lot of jealous folks out there that can't always mind their own business.

We did in fact move into the Mishawaka School district prior to Steven's Sophomore year.  Yes you are right, there were and are people who feel it is their right, obligation, even duty to involve themselves in other people's business.  At that time we were open to every opinion imaginable involving our personal family decision.  At the time it was not a pleasant experience to go through.  It is true, at times like those you find out who your real friends are.....and about the one's that groundhog refers to above.  Now after having a few years to reflect on our decision, we love our new home and we very much enjoy being a part of the Mishawaka community.  For our family, it was a great decision.

Now I would like to tell you a true story about our moving experience.  The only reason I will tell this story now is because the young man in the story has graduated and is now studying to be a Doctor I believe at Notre Dame or Northwestern.  Outstanding young man, nice family.

Before we actually made the move, the first thing I did was to contact the IHSAA and informed them of our intentions, outlined the procedure and timeline and verified that everything we were planning on doing was confirmed as being in compliance with guidelines and rules.  After doing so, we moved into a townhouse in the School District of Mishawaka, while the plans for the new house were finalized prior to the start of construction in the summer precededing Steven's sophomore year.  As you know, High School football on a friday night is a special night.  Steven would drive home after school, get a bite to eat, pack his game gear and then head back to school, his routine would have him coming and going about the same time each week and he would always leave wearing his game jersey.  Now the family that lived right next door to us also had a son that played football.  He was a Senior that year and a key player on the team.  Both boys appeared to have pretty much the same routine, often coming  and going within minutes of each other or at the same time.  This went on through the entire season, week in and week out same routine.  Now you have to be asking or saying big deal....what is the point of your story?  

The point is this. We made a family decision to move to Mishawaka and be a part of this community and we took every precaution to make sure we were doing things the right way.  But it did not really matter, as groundhog pointed out we were called out, criticized, accused and tryed in public forums on both the wrestling and the football boards by everyone that had an opinion, here close to home and throughout the state.  And every Friday night as my son would leave his Mishawaka home, wearing his Mishawaka jersey.....I would watch the young man who lived right next door to us leave his Mishawaka School District home wearing a game jersey that was not Mishawaka's.  

It would have been very easy, maybe even gratifiying with everything our family was getting thrown at them, to get even if you will,  with the school where most of our grief was coming from.  Even though we were frustrated with the abuse we were taking at the time, it just would not have been the right thing to do.  This young man went on to have a great season for "his school" and graduated that year at the top of his class.

I have tried to be very careful not to give too much detail to protect this young man and his family, many can fill in the blanks possibly with the individual or the school, but please don't on this forum, that is not the purpose of this story.  All I'm saying is I agree with groundhog...there are situations that occur that we do not need to try to be judge and jury over in public forums.  The situation with Trenton and his family is a tough situation.  For those of you that need confirmation, I can look out my back window across the pond and see the new house they had built.  It stands dark and empty, because thier house still has not sold.  Let's be careful not to judge a family caught up in a tough economic housing situation.  

Positively Promote the Sport

Steve Sandefer

Mr. Sandefer,

First off I must say that I am neither close to your family or the Reinhoel family.

Anyway, I for one was appalled at the accusations thrown at you and your family and I remember getting on a few people on the wrestling boards for their treatment of you and your family. I just want to commend you on your behalf of not attacking the kid who played for a football team that was not in his district. I think that is very commendable on your behalf. I mean often people who have been hurt try and hurt others, and you could have easily pointed the finger at that young man. People need to realize that there is more to life than a high school sport, and that parents have a variety of reasons for wanting their kids out of a school system that go beyond sports. The sad thing is that some parents are willing to move their kids because of a sport and it is because of those parents that people like you and your family get attacked. As a former MHS wrestler myself I wish your son the best this season and I hope that the issue of you getting attacked for your move is no longer something you are attacked for.

In the end however, I must say that i think Trent is being punished for the actions of his parents. His parents may or may not have done anything wrong, I say that because I am not in the position to judge, but they were the ones who decided to move. But one thing is certain and that is Trent has done nothing wrong, he moved to where his family decided to move. I mean honestly there is no way he will get to wrestle this year (barring a miracle) because I don't really think he would be able to go back to Penn and wrestle due to harrassment he would recieve from others at the school. I just hope the person who took the pictures realizes that he may have hurt a kids chances at being a state placer, and possibly hurt his chances of getting a scholarship of some kind, that is if trent was looking to wrestle in college. As a result the "stalker" may have done more than ruin this young man's season, but he may have affected his future.

Y2,

We did in fact move into the Mishawaka School district prior to Steven's Sophomore year.  Yes you are right, there were and are people who feel it is their right, obligation, even duty to involve themselves in other people's business.  At that time we were open to every opinion imaginable involving our personal family decision.  At the time it was not a pleasant experience to go through.  It is true, at times like those you find out who your real friends are.....and about the one's that groundhog refers to above.  Now after having a few years to reflect on our decision, we love our new home and we very much enjoy being a part of the Mishawaka community.  For our family, it was a great decision.

Now I would like to tell you a true story about our moving experience.  The only reason I will tell this story now is because the young man in the story has graduated and is now studying to be a Doctor I believe at Notre Dame or Northwestern.  Outstanding young man, nice family.

Before we actually made the move, the first thing I did was to contact the IHSAA and informed them of our intentions, outlined the procedure and timeline and verified that everything we were planning on doing was confirmed as being in compliance with guidelines and rules.  After doing so, we moved into a townhouse in the School District of Mishawaka, while the plans for the new house were finalized prior to the start of construction in the summer precededing Steven's sophomore year.  As you know, High School football on a friday night is a special night.  Steven would drive home after school, get a bite to eat, pack his game gear and then head back to school, his routine would have him coming and going about the same time each week and he would always leave wearing his game jersey.  Now the family that lived right next door to us also had a son that played football.  He was a Senior that year and a key player on the team.  Both boys appeared to have pretty much the same routine, often coming  and going within minutes of each other or at the same time.  This went on through the entire season, week in and week out same routine.  Now you have to be asking or saying big deal....what is the point of your story?  

The point is this. We made a family decision to move to Mishawaka and be a part of this community and we took every precaution to make sure we were doing things the right way.  But it did not really matter, as groundhog pointed out we were called out, criticized, accused and tryed in public forums on both the wrestling and the football boards by everyone that had an opinion, here close to home and throughout the state.  And every Friday night as my son would leave his Mishawaka home, wearing his Mishawaka jersey.....I would watch the young man who lived right next door to us leave his Mishawaka School District home wearing a game jersey that was not Mishawaka's.  

It would have been very easy, maybe even gratifiying with everything our family was getting thrown at them, to get even if you will,  with the school where most of our grief was coming from.  Even though we were frustrated with the abuse we were taking at the time, it just would not have been the right thing to do.  This young man went on to have a great season for "his school" and graduated that year at the top of his class.

I have tried to be very careful not to give too much detail to protect this young man and his family, many can fill in the blanks possibly with the individual or the school, but please don't on this forum, that is not the purpose of this story.  All I'm saying is I agree with groundhog...there are situations that occur that we do not need to try to be judge and jury over in public forums.  The situation with Trenton and his family is a tough situation.  For those of you that need confirmation, I can look out my back window across the pond and see the new house they had built.  It stands dark and empty, because thier house still has not sold.  Let's be careful not to judge a family caught up in a tough economic housing situation.  

Positively Promote the Sport

Steve Sandefer

I agree that people need to be very careful not to be specific in discussing a family's personal issues in a public forum.  However, the overall topic should still be discussed because not everyone has good intentions.  Sometimes there are people who try to take advantage of the system. 

I think Mishawaka gets most of this flack because several good wrestlers have moved into their school systems from other ones.  It's the same perception Mater Dei has battled on these boards for years.

Pin2Win I definately agree with you....This goes further than sport...This was going to be Trents breakout season...he lost to Roach last year by 1 or 2 in the round to go and he was constantly building off of that looking to win a title this year...But getting that title meant more to him than just sport...it was his way to a good education and a good degree...Now his parents are most likely going to have to pay for his schooling instead of him picking up a scholarship this year like I KNOW he would've.

Pin2Win I definately agree with you....This goes further than sport...This was going to be Trents breakout season...he lost to Roach last year by 1 or 2 in the round to go and he was constantly building off of that looking to win a title this year...But getting that title meant more to him than just sport...it was his way to a good education and a good degree...Now his parents are most likely going to have to pay for his schooling instead of him picking up a scholarship this year like I KNOW he would've.

If he wants to win state and he wants a college scholarship why don't he just wrestle for penn?

Are you kidding me guy? Read the article....see the part where it states he had trouble there with administration? I'm sure they'd send him on his way with great transcripts.....he can't go back, yes he is allowed to, but from a moral and education stand point he can't....They don't want him back and he doesn't want to be there, school there was hell for him.

that is a real shame.  if a kid transfers to another school, i don't think that the first school he went to should have anything to say about it.  at that point it is just sour grapes.  if the kid is living with his grandparents, he probably can't even visit his parents at their house. 

ok so let me ask a hypotetical question

Wrestler A is 18, and him an his parents want him to go to a certain school.... could he not become emancipated and live "rent" a room at a house in the district he wants to go to?

Of course this would be an extreme as he would not be able to be covered by his parents insurance any more, but I would think financial aid for college (in the form of grants not loans) would go up cause there would be no expectation of the parents contributing for school.

By the way i am in no means saying this should be done, I am just saying could it not happen? What would the IHSAA be able to do in that situation?