Semi-State Supremacy

6 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

That always bothered me too.  Why call it semi-state when there's four tournaments.   Quarter-State is the right answer.  IHSAA is bad at math.

I think this is how the IHSAA sees it. A Sectional is part of Sectionals. A Regional is part of Regionals, A Semi-State is part of Semi-States and then the State Finals. A snip from From IHSAA website that helped me 🙂 :

image.thumb.png.ddec1cb88db775c8ae67cd021faf9921.png

7 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

That always bothered me too.  Why call it semi-state when there's four tournaments.   Quarter-State is the right answer.  IHSAA is bad at math.

I’m going to blow your mind here but…..

How many wrestlers are in a Semi-finals?….4 🤯🤯🤯

11 hours ago, SIACfan said:

The title of this topic is Semi-State Supremacy, not Regional Supremacy Sir!🤪

But yes the Mooresville Regional is & has been dominate in recent history. And with BB, CG & Avon all in that regional, it isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Regional 1st 2nd` 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th
Jay County 0 1 1 3 2 1 2 1
Richmond 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0
Bloomington South 0 2 1 1 1 2 0 1
Goshen 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0
Logansport 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Carrol 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 0
Hobart 0 2 1 0 1 1 0 0
North Montgomery 1 0 0 0 1 1 2 0
Perry Meridian 3 1 1 1 0 3 4 2
Crown Point 1 2 2 1 3 1 0 2
Castle 0 2 0 1 0 0 1 0
Mooresville 6 2 4 2 3 1 1 2
Penn 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 2
Pendleton Heights 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 2
Peru 1 0 0 3 1 0 1 0
Jeffersonville 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 1

Since people were talking about Regional numbers haha. Again, I am pretty sure that these numbers are correct but if anyone notices a mistake I will fix it.

The Numbers will be off by one because I did not include the FF.

Edited by CCWPhwt

This is what I've been talking about for years. When was the last time the champ and runner-up team came from the same place. Throw in a very good Avon and a bunch of "small school super teams". Zero place to hide and good kids absolutely get left behind in that regional. 

Also look at the numbers and then realize that Franklin Community should be in that regional. This was the first year they weren't. Annnnnn wow o wow they suddenly have 9/10 semistate qualifiers. Franklin has always been good. It's just a meat grinder of a regional. 

Everyone complained about how the Perry regional got altered and the good teams that got added. (Those teams are great btw) and still with the added teams it still didn't get to the level of Mooresville (minus a good team) 

The crown point regional is tough because Cp is in it. The Perry regional just got tougher. But they still fall short of Mooresville by a lot. It's honestly kinda ridiculous the ihsaa let's it continue. Yes it is a soure of pride for those that have to deal with it, but that doesn't always make it right or fun.

1 hour ago, formercollegekid said:

This is what I've been talking about for years. When was the last time the champ and runner-up team came from the same place. Throw in a very good Avon and a bunch of "small school super teams". Zero place to hide and good kids absolutely get left behind in that regional. 

Also look at the numbers and then realize that Franklin Community should be in that regional. This was the first year they weren't. Annnnnn wow o wow they suddenly have 9/10 semistate qualifiers. Franklin has always been good. It's just a meat grinder of a regional. 

Everyone complained about how the Perry regional got altered and the good teams that got added. (Those teams are great btw) and still with the added teams it still didn't get to the level of Mooresville (minus a good team) 

The crown point regional is tough because Cp is in it. The Perry regional just got tougher. But they still fall short of Mooresville by a lot. It's honestly kinda ridiculous the ihsaa let's it continue. Yes it is a soure of pride for those that have to deal with it, but that doesn't always make it right or fun.

2015-2016 year was the start, at the time you had Big Group of kids going to Contenders & Red Cobra, I’m going to say (30) i have a picture if I can find it just from Contenders that was feeding Danville, Avon, Brownsburg, Plainfield, Cascade, Center Grove, Ben Davis, Tri West, Monrovia . 

That was the tip of Giant Iceburg that’s gonna hit Indiana Wrestling .

2018-Present you got over 70-80 high schoolers that come out of these Academies . Elementary & Middle Schools Biys & Girls 150+ training at 2 locations for Contenders & Red Cobra daily . You think it’s bad now , wait till those 150+ feed into schools with a wrestling IQ off the chart in the coming years . Mooresville is gonna get better and tougher . Schools is going to even more nastier than they are now . 
For those that don’t believe me just look at ISWA Triple Crowns, State Champions, #’s these Academies are pulling in . Going to be a Wrestler Fan Dream going to this Regional in a few years . It already is with the talent . You heard it first Indiana ! THEIR COMING ! 

3 hours ago, TeamGarcia said:

2015-2016 year was the start, at the time you had Big Group of kids going to Contenders & Red Cobra, I’m going to say (30) i have a picture if I can find it just from Contenders that was feeding Danville, Avon, Brownsburg, Plainfield, Cascade, Center Grove, Ben Davis, Tri West, Monrovia . 

That was the tip of Giant Iceburg that’s gonna hit Indiana Wrestling .

2018-Present you got over 70-80 high schoolers that come out of these Academies . Elementary & Middle Schools Biys & Girls 150+ training at 2 locations for Contenders & Red Cobra daily . You think it’s bad now , wait till those 150+ feed into schools with a wrestling IQ off the chart in the coming years . Mooresville is gonna get better and tougher . Schools is going to even more nastier than they are now . 
For those that don’t believe me just look at ISWA Triple Crowns, State Champions, #’s these Academies are pulling in . Going to be a Wrestler Fan Dream going to this Regional in a few years . It already is with the talent . You heard it first Indiana ! THEIR COMING ! 

@TeamGarcia tells the story... Contenders started in Plainfield and moved to Brownsburg a few years ago... Red Cobra came over to the west side in Avon about 9-10 years ago and they've both had staying power over the decade. On any given Tuesday night in the off season, it's a literal Who's Who in Chad and Roy's Red Cobra dojo... 

I imagine the southside training ops have picked up with the addition of the second location for Contenders, so the Mooresville Regional meat grinder will continue to get worse and worse and then have it capped off with the EVSS with Invicta & MCWC throwing in their best. 

The other interesting element in the rise of the regional academies has been the additional training opportunities in the olympic styles and the success in them by Indiana wrestlers when competing nationally. 

Also, mucho respect to Center Grove, Crown Point and Brownsburg for continuing to push the envelope with wrestling schedules that include the toughest tournaments like IronMan, Brecksville, The Carnahan, IHSWCA 4A Team State and maybe Cheesehead in the future - the level of competition left no one's record unscathed this season. Maybe we will have to have asterisked records for in-state vs. out-of-state W/L numbers in the future - esp for announcers on the state finals broadcasts...!

8 hours ago, indypharmd said:

@TeamGarcia tells the story... Contenders started in Plainfield and moved to Brownsburg a few years ago... Red Cobra came over to the west side in Avon about 9-10 years ago and they've both had staying power over the decade. On any given Tuesday night in the off season, it's a literal Who's Who in Chad and Roy's Red Cobra dojo... 

I imagine the southside training ops have picked up with the addition of the second location for Contenders, so the Mooresville Regional meat grinder will continue to get worse and worse and then have it capped off with the EVSS with Invicta & MCWC throwing in their best. 

The other interesting element in the rise of the regional academies has been the additional training opportunities in the olympic styles and the success in them by Indiana wrestlers when competing nationally. 

Also, mucho respect to Center Grove, Crown Point and Brownsburg for continuing to push the envelope with wrestling schedules that include the toughest tournaments like IronMan, Brecksville, The Carnahan, IHSWCA 4A Team State and maybe Cheesehead in the future - the level of competition left no one's record unscathed this season. Maybe we will have to have asterisked records for in-state vs. out-of-state W/L numbers in the future - esp for announcers on the state finals broadcasts...!

Yeah, our past way of discussing "greatest ever" where we put Tsirtsis over Escobedo because Escobedo had a loss (out of state to a kid highly ranked in the nation)--has to get completely thrown out the window now. I mean Hockaday, our #1-ranked pound-for-pound kid, got a DNP at the Iron Man. If he goes on to win a 4th title, continues to improve nationally, and ends up a multiple-time college All-American--do we put him behind historical guys who had only 2 or 3 career losses but didn't compete out of state, just because of the record in the state finals program? It's definitely a new era.