Weirdest thing happened

Paycheck141

We wrestled at the Indianapolis Bishop Chatard Invite yesterday and a ref did the weirdest thing in one of our matches. He stopped the action because our guy was getting too sweaty and made us get a towel to wipe him down, has anyone ever heard of something like that? 

Edited by Paycheck141

28 minutes ago, Paycheck141 said:

We wrestled at the Indianapolis Bishop Chatard Invite yesterday and a ref did the weirdest thing in one of our matches. He stopped the action because our guy was getting too sweaty and made us get a towel to wipe him down, has anyone ever heard of something like that? 

Must be a freestyle or Greco ref that forgot how to ref folkstyle

With all due respect, that ref didn’t know his left from right. After determining odds and evens ahead of the same dual, he wanted to start flipping the coin midway through to determine whose choice it was. In a later dual, he awarded an escape when both wrestlers were approximately 8-10 feet off the mat. I could go on but I’m afraid there’s a character limit. Multiple teams requested throughout the day for him to not officiate their dual, and the other refs acknowledged that he was not of the highest quality.

This begs the question- who actually hires the officials?   There was an official at a tournament yesterday that was so obese he could not get down on the mat to observe pins/back points/etc.    he kept calling pins while standing or on one knee.  I know we are short on officials but dang. 

9 minutes ago, HawkinIndy said:

The others were fantastic officials - some of the best I've seen! Knowledgeable and minimal to no scoring/timing issues.

I completely agree. I was really impressed with all of the officials we had! I told a couple different people how nice it was. We had zero issues. I loved this tournament and hope to be back!

When there is a surplus of referees, then it's fair to criticize and ask for better options.  Until then, be thankful that these people are willing to give up their Saturday or weekday evening to help the show go on for the kids.  I'm not a referee but I know that it's a very thankless job with relatively low pay and constant complaining.  Maybe this gentleman had knee issues or even replacements - until you know someone's story just remember that they are not out there saving lives they are just calling an amateur contest and nearly volunteering their time

46 minutes ago, base said:

When there is a surplus of referees, then it's fair to criticize and ask for better options.  Until then, be thankful that these people are willing to give up their Saturday or weekday evening to help the show go on for the kids.  I'm not a referee but I know that it's a very thankless job with relatively low pay and constant complaining.  Maybe this gentleman had knee issues or even replacements - until you know someone's story just remember that they are not out there saving lives they are just calling an amateur contest and nearly volunteering their time

I might be an a**hole for saying this but I don't care what the reasoning is. Surplus or shortage, there should always be a standard for any job. If you are not able to do your job at the bare minimum then you need to find something else to do that day until you're capable. It sounds like this ref needs to be a second ref and assist as needed. There is no excuse for a ref not getting down to mat level and calling nearfall, pins, locking hands, etc.....There is a major difference to being slower than others because of health problems vs inability to do it (either by choice or physically incapable). Every coach has seen refs that are top tier and others that have areas to work on but I think every coach and wrestler would agree that there are certain bare minimums that are expected every match. We should be able to critique in a way that is respectful and meant for learning.