Transfer portal thread

On 4/3/2023 at 7:05 PM, maligned said:

Top guy in the portal. Wonder why he and Cannon are heading out..looking for a certain Masters program? 

They are both graduate transfers so likely the ability to get into a grad degree program at Northwestern and/or lack of options there. 

Davison is an intriguing transfer as many of the top teams have good big guys. I would guess he doesn't go too far from home.

3 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

They are both graduate transfers so likely the ability to get into a grad degree program at Northwestern and/or lack of options there. 

Davison is an intriguing transfer as many of the top teams have good big guys. I would guess he doesn't go too far from home.

Michigan 

28 minutes ago, maligned said:

Sidenote: Nagao of Minnesota hits the portal. Someone's going to get a multi-time high placer and championship contender. He's turned into a hammer.

Purdue in the running 

31 minutes ago, maligned said:

Big news for sure.

Just checking: is there any precedent for fans in Indiana being willing to cheer for a Michigan heavyweight?

I believe there was a R. Nelson snider heavy , that I cheered for that was a Michigan Wolverine. 

On 4/6/2023 at 9:24 PM, Disco said:

Purdue in the running 

He's going to Penn State per the private FB message I got from a Minnesota wrestling parent. Penn State is supposedly offering a 6 figure NIL deal and cornered his parents at NCAA's on it. Guess he tearfully told the team he was transferring to PSU to help his family. 

7 minutes ago, Disco said:

Ok. That’s that. Good wrestler. And if one of the haves want him? They can give the man about anything he wants. 

Kinda what started the confirmation from a parent that has a kid that's a backup this year. I asked if it was $ bc Minnesota has history & tradition of winning during J's time. Rumor all along had been PSU and her stating that from her son is should be solid, but we will know for sure when he officially states it himself. Just depressing as a Minnesota wrestling fan.

Purdue could take more from us with Leroy on staff now.

Edited by casualwrestlingfan

2 minutes ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Kinda what started the confirmation from a parent that has a kid that's a backup this year. I asked if it was $ bc Minnesota has history & tradition of winning during J's time. Rumor all along had been PSU and her stating that from her son is should be solid, but we will know for sure when he officially states it himself. Just depressing as a Minnesota wrestling fan.

I definitely hate it for a school or program, to bring a kid into their ,program by a vigilant coach ,where he was a relative unknown, and give him a stage to perform, and then stolen by a coach who knew nothing about him. Because he has money. Lazy man recruiting. 

13 hours ago, Disco said:

I definitely hate it for a school or program, to bring a kid into their ,program by a vigilant coach ,where he was a relative unknown, and give him a stage to perform, and then stolen by a coach who knew nothing about him. Because he has money. Lazy man recruiting. 

Going to be an Iowa vs Penn State sport. Maybe Oklahoma State still has some Pickens $ left. Doubt WB puts much into Nebraska. Not sure how my Gophers are going to compete. Guess Michigan & Ohio State will benefit. Can't complain against Michigan as a Michigan football fan.

Purdue picked up Joey Millano from NC State today. Has three years of eligibility left and will wrestle 184. He had a great record his redshirt season two years ago, and then went like 5-4 last year in limited matches. Looks like they tried to fit him into 174 when he's clearly a 184, so hopefully he performs better at a more natural weight. Interesting enough, is this is now back to back years we have taken a highly rated recruit from NC State from their 2021 class. Last year we took Jake Null, who only wrestled in the IU dual while dealing with an injury. NC State had the 4th ranked recruiting class by Flo in 2021, headlined by Stevo Poulin, Null, and Millano. Poulin has also transferred to Northern Colorado, so an awful 2021 class in terms of staying for them, and hopefully giving Purdue a much needed boost in the back half of their lineup. I would assume Ben Vanandia then goes back up to 197 and wrestles off with Filipovich. I thought 197 was a better weight for him too. 

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Purdue picked up Joey Millano from NC State today. Has three years of eligibility left and will wrestle 184. He had a great record his redshirt season two years ago, and then went like 5-4 last year in limited matches. Looks like they tried to fit him into 174 when he's clearly a 184, so hopefully he performs better at a more natural weight. Interesting enough, is this is now back to back years we have taken a highly rated recruit from NC State from their 2021 class. Last year we took Jake Null, who only wrestled in the IU dual while dealing with an injury. NC State had the 4th ranked recruiting class by Flo in 2021, headlined by Stevo Poulin, Null, and Millano. Poulin has also transferred to Northern Colorado, so an awful 2021 class in terms of staying for them, and hopefully giving Purdue a much needed boost in the back half of their lineup. I would assume Ben Vanandia then goes back up to 197 and wrestles off with Filipovich. I thought 197 was a better weight for him too. 

Good for Perdue. Recruiting. Someone is killing it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Big Ten filling out lineups nicely.

Penn St picks up NCAA 4th place, 6th-year senior 197 Truax from Cal Poly.

Nebraska gets 5th-year junior 125 Caleb Smith from App St. (He was a tough-luck 0-2 at NCAAs this year as the 5 seed. He fell to AA seeding glitch Cardinale and first-round upset victim and former AA DeAugustino.)

It wasn't expressly mentioned on the thread, but Rutgers' new Top 10 heavy, the Belarussian Harvard grad Slavikouski, will be a player in the conference too. He's the one who Davison beat in Sudden Victory in the blood round. His other loss at nationals was 1-0 to Hillger.

Edited by maligned

On 4/7/2023 at 10:07 PM, Disco said:

Ok. That’s that. Good wrestler. And if one of the haves want him? They can give the man about anything he wants. 

Sounds like Nagao has been asking the other destinations how much $ he can get. Iowa may have just outbid PSU for his services. Has to put a lot of pressure on top of the normal for the young man. 

Edited by casualwrestlingfan

6 hours ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Sounds like Nagao has been asking the other destinations how much $ he can get. Iowa may have just outbid PSU for his services. Has to put a lot of pressure on top of the normal for the young man. 

Yes ,and can’t blame the wrestlers.  This is a real boon for the athletes of wrestling. For the first time ,be able to make money and stay in the ranks of college. On the other hand, this might be the downfall of some not so elite D1 programs. Will be interesting how all the changes will impact the sport, and how it will all unfold. In the meantime, the two instate D1 programs need to get with it, sooner than later. 

9 hours ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Penn State doesn’t “Bid”. The coaching staff doesn’t get involved in NIL. They talk to recruits and potential transfers about wrestling, that’s all. 

3 hours ago, IU89 said:

Penn State doesn’t “Bid”. The coaching staff doesn’t get involved in NIL. They talk to recruits and potential transfers about wrestling, that’s all. 

And how do you know this? 

13 hours ago, IU89 said:

That's what boosters are for. But I do agree, Penn State has been getting high end transfers because of their wrestling cachet. The dynasty isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

16 hours ago, IU89 said:

Like I said before in this thread, PSU staff & boosters were all over his parents at the tournament per another Minnesota wrestling parent. Nagao is going to the highest bidder and will announce today. All coaches directly or indirectly are involved in this NIL $ free agency. Some just have more connections & cash to distance themselves is all. The NCAA is a sham at this point. It's basically another type of minor league system at this point.