Jump to content

IHSAA State Finals Proposal


Recommended Posts

When attending the IHSAA State Finals over the past few years, I've always felt bad that by the time the 220 and HWT matches come around, half of the crowd has already left Gainbridge. Those kids work just as hard as the little guys, and nobody seems to miss those matches unless they're late on closing a bar tab between sessions. I noticed when watching the Big 12 championships and again during the NCAAs on Saturday night that the most intriguing championship match was saved for last to keep the crowd engaged in the arena and your streaming/televised crowd, too. At Big 12's, it was Iowa State's David Carr against Missouri's Keegan O'Toole, and then Yianni Diakomihalis' match for his fourth NCAA title was saved for last on Saturday.

 

How difficult would it be to adapt this thought process to the IHSAA State Finals? It'd be nice to end with the best match of the night... keeps most of everyone in the building for all 14 bouts, sells more concessions, keeps your TV audience for the duration of the broadcast, etc. I'm no businessman, but it seems like a no-brainer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well someone would have to change the IHSAA mind on this.  

 

Per the Winter Bulletin:

NOTE – A random order draw for championship final matches in the IHSAA individual tournament series is NOT TO BE USED. Championship matches throughout the individual tournament series shall be conducted in weight class order beginning with the 106 pound weight class.

 

 

So if they currently won’t allow a random order then they need much more convincing to consider ever highlight a specific individual match at the end over the rest of the matches. 

 

 While I agree it would be nice to see something like a potential 4xer go last, the IHSAA seems pretty steadfast on respecting/honoring all athletes involved rather than trying to place the focus on a specific individual or matchup. 

 

Edited by MattM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Cricket21 said:

I do remember the 2016 132 finals match between Chad Red & Nick Lee was saved for the last match (I believe) of the night due to the obvious hype and excitement around these two wrestling each other for the first time in IHSAA tourney history. 

 

#BringBackTheTights

No it wasn't

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2023 at 8:42 PM, MattM said:

Well someone would have to change the IHSAA mind on this.  

 

Per the Winter Bulletin:

NOTE – A random order draw for championship final matches in the IHSAA individual tournament series is NOT TO BE USED. Championship matches throughout the individual tournament series shall be conducted in weight class order beginning with the 106 pound weight class.

 

 

So if they currently won’t allow a random order then they need much more convincing to consider ever highlight a specific individual match at the end over the rest of the matches. 

 

 While I agree it would be nice to see something like a potential 4xer go last, the IHSAA seems pretty steadfast on respecting/honoring all athletes involved rather than trying to place the focus on a specific individual or matchup. 

 

I can understand at Sectionals, Regionals, Semi-State. But why not the state finals?

We started the state finals in 2022 at 152 lbs first round.... I just do not understand the logic behind their rule.

 

The Red vs. Lee match should have been the last match, Mendez 4x should have been the last match, etc. etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CoachDuke2.0 said:

I like the idea. However, it they didn’t do it for Nick Lee vs Chad Red who I believe were #1 and #2 in the country at that time (feel free to correct me if im wrong) I don’t think it is going to happen. 

They didn't, but they should have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2023 at 1:57 PM, julio said:

IHSAA does not like to change.

Yes, with any kind of tradition it’s always the easy route to say “well, this is the way we’ve always done it, so…” I hear that line at work far too often.

 

I work with Faulkens on the IHSAA baseball finals so will go straight to the source to at least hear reasons on it not making sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/22/2023 at 1:35 PM, brickfor6 said:

I can understand at Sectionals, Regionals, Semi-State. But why not the state finals?

We started the state finals in 2022 at 152 lbs first round.... I just do not understand the logic behind their rule.

 

The Red vs. Lee match should have been the last match, Mendez 4x should have been the last match, etc. etc. 


He gave you their logic.  You (nor I) have to agree with it, but it's right there.  

"So if they currently won’t allow a random order then they need much more convincing to consider ever highlight a specific individual match at the end over the rest of the matches. "

This topic comes up frequently, never more so than before the 2016 Finals.  It's not new.  As fans, we see solid reasoning to do it.  The IHSAA in general has to decide if making such a chance could be a slippery slope to allow other changes in other sports. As with the placement of next year's State Finals, there is a bigger picture than most fans consider.  
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SWINfan said:


He gave you their logic.  You (nor I) have to agree with it, but it's right there.  

"So if they currently won’t allow a random order then they need much more convincing to consider ever highlight a specific individual match at the end over the rest of the matches. "

This topic comes up frequently, never more so than before the 2016 Finals.  It's not new.  As fans, we see solid reasoning to do it.  The IHSAA in general has to decide if making such a chance could be a slippery slope to allow other changes in other sports. As with the placement of next year's State Finals, there is a bigger picture than most fans consider.  
 

When was the Logic (reasoning behind their decision of a rule) posted? 
 

I understand trying to highlight all athletes, but how many were in the stands to see Leighton Jones win state vs Revin Dickman? So are we really highlighting all athletes? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, brickfor6 said:

When was the Logic (reasoning behind their decision of a rule) posted? 
 

I understand trying to highlight all athletes, but how many were in the stands to see Leighton Jones win state vs Revin Dickman? So are we really highlighting all athletes? 

I wasn’t aware Jones and Dickman wrestled each other!  I kid, I kid . . . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.