Giddiness and Reverence

busstogate

I know I am not the only one who enjoys this weekend the most in the state series.  For some, I know they expect to be here and at next week's slamdango for the precious metals.  Yet, I think a lot of wrestlers making it here for perhaps the first or the last times have to be gratified to see their hard work paying off.  Every lap, sprint, shark tank, four-hour drive, close loss and quick pin....the growing wrestler has endured so, so much on this uphill journey.  Some will reach a career highlight in the second round, while some will not.  Others, again, will expect to be here and will move on.  Yet, some expectations will be unmet.

Oh, how well we know this is an individual sport!  By this time, the wrestler has pushed their body and mind to their known limits in hopes of attaining success.  Many may not realize that during this pursuit, greatness has already been achieved.  Acts of perseverance, willingness, and respect for the sport and those who continue to carve legacies add up.  The discipline it takes to properly nourish the mind in the classroom and the body at the dinner table does build the toughness needed to get to this stage as well.

Clearly, the spirit of victory can be felt by flesh and blood and the pain of loss can likewise be as deeply known.   As exhilarating and stark the extremes may be for the wrestler, the coaches, parents and teammates have played a game or two of Chutes and Ladders themselves.  They will continue to venerate your name and deeds no matter the outcome.  May you continue to profit both in wrestling and in every facet of life from your priceless sacrifices.

4 minutes ago, busstogate said:

I know I am not the only one who enjoys this weekend the most in the state series.  For some, I know they expect to be here and at next week's slamdango for the precious metals.  Yet, I think a lot of wrestlers making it here for perhaps the first or the last times have to be gratified to see their hard work paying off.  Every lap, sprint, shark tank, four-hour drive, close loss and quick pin....the growing wrestler has endured so, so much on this uphill journey.  Some will reach a career highlight in the second round, while some will not.  Others, again, will expect to be here and will move on.  Yet, some expectations will be unmet.

Oh, how well we know this is an individual sport!  By this time, the wrestler has pushed their body and mind to their known limits in hopes of attaining success.  Many may not realize that during this pursuit, greatness has already been achieved.  Acts of perseverance, willingness, and respect for the sport and those who continue to carve legacies add up.  The discipline it takes to properly nourish the mind in the classroom and the body at the dinner table does build the toughness needed to get to this stage as well.

Clearly, the spirit of victory can be felt by flesh and blood and the pain of loss can likewise be as deeply known.   As exhilarating and stark the extremes may be for the wrestler, the coaches, parents and teammates have played a game or two of Chutes and Ladders themselves.  They will continue to venerate your name and deeds no matter the outcome.  May you continue to profit both in wrestling and in every facet of life from your priceless sacrifices.

Preach Neil Degrasse Tyson GIF

Anyone who has ever wrestled, coached, or been the parent of a wrestler should be getting a little misty when they read these articles.  Those that have never been as fortunate as us to be a part of the greatest sport will probably never understand the absolute commitment these young men (and ladies) have made.  Thank you for your writing.

3 hours ago, busstogate said:

Great words. As the kids say...IYKYK!

33 minutes ago, rmckinney88 said:

Preach it! I am 41 and (embarrassing to say) going to my 1st Semistate. I am nervous for the kids I'm rooting for, but so excited for them at the same time. I will truly understand the thrill of victory and agony of defeat once I witness the ticket round. 

mood GIF

This article is incredible and brings back lots of memories.  I recall being the 4th/5th wrestler from my school to ever make it to semi state, following behind Darwin Collet, Dennis Beckam, and Dewey.  My senior year and Mike Mull's freshman year, we had two more knights make it to SS without a coach, only a team chaperone.  Now I'm proud to see four representing Northeastern Wayne this year, with an incredible young lady looking to punch her ticket to state.  My heart is split this weekend; between my bulldogs down in evansville and the four knights of Northeastern looking to punch their ticket at NC SS.  Regardless of the results, may this generation of wrestlers enjoy their journey as I have. 

From someone who hasn't worn a singlet in many decades. I 'm  always in awe and  absolute wonder at the level these individuals have not only elevated their self, but also the sport. I know many old wrestlers from my day  who say things like these young kids don't know what it was like in our day. I say we have no idea what it is like in this day. Wrestling was a winter sport between baseball and football with myself and most of my teamates . The commitment and dedication these young wrestlers put in to make it to this stage of the state tournament, I'll answer a previous thread of ( paraphr

ase here no harm intended) " Is semi-state an accomplishment". YES 

Edited by tyquhp13

19 hours ago, busstogate said:

As a person who still get's asked;"you only made it to Semi-State?''.....This hit me in the soul. Great insight and well written.