Hook's SIAC Recap

hook and half

Those who shoveled out their driveways were treated to uncrowded bleachers, ZERO lines at the restrooms and concession stands—and a great day of wrestling.

The team race was terrific, entering the final, Castle held a one-point advantage over Mater Dei.

106-  Mater Dei’s Clay Egli dominated, scoring a fall, a tech fall en route to a major over Castle’s Devon Casebolt for the top podium spot.  Casebolt should get another shot at Egli for the regional title.

113-  Castle’s Baxter Annakin faced Memorial’s Seth Horty in a match-up that will likely have ramifications for a state berth.  Annakin has been hobbled by season-long injuries and was sure to be tested by the 31-3 Horty.  Annakin came out guns a blazin’, scoring a couple of first period takedowns and a 9-5 win.  Was there anyone in the building quicker and slicker than Annakin?  Don’t overlook Horty,  he will get another shot at Annakin in the sectional.

120-  Give Castle’s , Neal Bealmer credit—he was not a bit scared of Mater Dei junior, the fifth-ranked Kyle Luigs.  Bealmer went after Luigs hard, but at the end of the day, Luigs was too much for the freshman and scored a fall.  I expect to see Bealmer and Luigs meet again for the regional title.

126-  Carson Willis of Castle won the title with a 5-2 decision.  Although Willis dominated, he has a formidable offense that he mostly held in reserve.

132-  Mater Dei’s team title turned on two upsets—one at 132, when Kyle Embry scored a win over Castle in the semifinal.  Embry met North senior, Josh Elpers, at the center mat.  Elpers wrestled a brilliant tactical match, scoring a takedown with five seconds remaining in the first period.  Embry scratched his way back into the match to force overtime.  After a stalling warning, Elpers was able to muster one last push to score a takedown, and an SIAC title.  This gets my vote for the best finals match.

138-  Mater Dei’s Blake Jourdan had no easy route to the final.  Jourdan had a very competitive race with North’s Nick Burke, before scoring a third period fall.  Jourdan’s much anticipated match-up with Castle’s Austin Ramsey initially looked like a let-down.  Jourdan was able to get to Ramsey’s legs and was on his way to a win, when Ramsey slithered out of a bear hug and put Jourdan flat on his back.  The Castle faithful roaring, Jourdan dug deep to finally bridge out of a desperate situation.  With Jourdan trailing by two, he was able to turn a scramble into a third period fall.  Burke, Jourdan and Ramsey are legitimate State Qualifiers; the regional should be a doozy.

145-  Mater Dei sophomore, Joe Lee, spent 2:33 on the mat.  I noticed a small cut on his hairline and asked him how he got it.  “One of the matches,” he said, shrugging.

152-  The opponents of Lee’s team mate, Mitch Lehman, did not fare much better, as the senior won his first SIAC title with two falls and an injury default.

160-  Who wants to wrestle Mater Dei’s 0-3 Hunter Carr?  Apparently, only Castle’s Jacob Farmer.  Carr was the Cinderella story of the tournament, defeating the two and three seeds, earning a date in the final with Farmer.  After scoring the initial takedown, Carr’s magic ran out and Farmer held on for a 4-2 win.

170-  Evan Dowell was calculating and under control, winning the title for Bob Harmon’s Castle Knights.  Bosse’s Raymond Garnett was the Bulldogs lone entrant in the final and provided a stiff challenge for Dowell.  With an unorthodox stance and sure foot movement, Dowell was wary of Garnett.  Lookout for Central’s Kiave Guerrier.  Guerrier is raw, but dangerous.  Dowell managed a 1-0 semifinal victory over Guerrier.

182-  Castle’s Carson Mohler and Memorial’s Conner Brown had the makings of the “Best Match” in the finals, before Brown had to retire on account of injury.  I look for a rematch in the Castle sectional.

195-  Mater Dei’s Kurtis Wilderman was the class of the field at 195, beating Reitz’s overachieving Andrew Shaw 6-2 for the gold medal. 

220-  How many more wrestlers named “Boots” can Mater Dei produce?  Well, at least one more.  Greg Schaefer’s sophomore, dominated with a fall, major and a 1:00 fall in the final.

285-  Central’s Jordan Libby shook off an earlier loss to Mater Dei’s Austin Fleck and decisioned Fleck 6-3 for the top podium spot in Paradise. 

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Let's get The Ugly out of the way.  The referees were nothing short of atrocious.  Because of his substantial belly, bad knees or both, one of the referees did not have the ability to get to the mat.  A number of times, I saw him call falls while hovering over the grapplers; nor did he slide his hand under the shoulder blades.  Evidently, he has x-ray vision.  Yet another ref needs a refresher course. When the top man has his arms wrapped around the bottom man’s ankles it is not a stalemate, it is STALLING.   I also saw a kid get DQ’d on a specious call.  As a result, is his season over?  I sure hope not.

Is this really the best available?  In the toughest avenue a high school athlete can pursue,  SIAC wrestlers are owed more than the lazy and/or incompetent officials they were offered.

The Good:

Give the Wildcats credit.  Mater Dei graduated five 2015 SIAC champs and were missing a State Placer and State Champion from their line-up.  With upsets and dinged-up wrestlers, Saturday saw their best production of the year.

The young Castle team was very fit and wrestled with tremendous enthusiasm.  Harmon’s Knights have some great years in front of them.  Typically, southern Indiana wrestling fans do not endlessly promote their teams/kids on Indianamat.com.  I believe this hurts Castle.  I have been to the IHSWCA Team State Duals every year since its inception.  Without equivocation, this year and last, Castle is a top ten Indiana dual team.  Their exclusion from this event makes it weaker, not stronger.  Castle fans:  if Castle does not receive an automatic bid, petition for a vote-in slot.   CASTLE BELONGS IN THE 2017 CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Speaking of Harmon…did anyone see him carrying around the infant and speaking softly to him?  The Hall-Of-Fame boss/tough-guy looked like a big old cuddly teddy bear.  On the other hand, he may have been discussing takedowns, mental preparation and strategy.

Reitz surprised with their strong, third place finish.  They did it the hard way, overcoming higher seeds and placing ten of their grapplers.

Although they finished seventh, I liked Harrison’s enthusiasm.  There was great effort on the Warriors’ part and they brought a dialed-in fan base.  If they can get healthy, they will make a dent in the Castle sectional.  

Edited by hook and half

Great write up Hook. I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

I too noticed the crowd size. The roads weren't that bad, so not sure where all the faithful were at. At this time of the year, if you don't get at the Paradise Center early, you're fight for a seat, concessions and bathro breaks,not this year. With the talent there is here down home, and the level of competition, I was a little disappointed in the size of support.

106-While Egli and Casebolt are clearly the 2 front runners, Egli is just way too much for Casebolt.

113-I look forward to the Annakin and Horty rematch. Great to see Annakin back. There for a second, with his quickness and slick single leg, I thought I was seeing Konrath. Talented kid and should make some noise at state.

120- Luigs was too much for the field. He looked a little disgruntled after his win, maybe cause he was caught a little off guard from the freshman. Watch out for Bealmer in years to come.

126-In my opinion, the worst finals match of the day. After building a lead and going into the 3rd, Willis sprawled out on the mat for the whole period. In any other match, these refs we had would have called stalling. Not in this case. Good job by Craig(Re) trying to make something happen, just fell victim.

132-HUGE shout out to Embry. Probably the biggest shocker of the day. Knocking off one of Castles top guns and coming up just short against Elpers(No) who is having a great year. Very entertaining match.

138-Jourdan is going to make some big noise here at this weight. Definately see these 2 again in the finals at sectionals. Joudan made some sloppy mistakes that made this match closer than what it actually appeared before the fall. He's clearly the stronger of the 2 and I expect to see Jordan clean up his mistakes in route to Bankers. It won't be close in their rematch.

145-ALL LEE

152-possibly the toughest weight class there yesterday led by EMD Senior Lehman. Castles big fresan Nunn didn't back down from anyone. He beat a tough Williams(Me) who was battling flu like symptoms. I look forward to see these 3 again.

Don't overlook this freshman.

160-While He was the favorite coming in and did take home the SIAC title, Farmer was battled by a tough Carr.

170-Dowell looked impressive. Completed dominated his finals for Garnett. I was a little suprised at the outcome.

182-In a rematch from just a coue days ago where Castle came away with an OT victory, Brown came out to take an early 5-2 lead before falling to yet another inj. Default. This kid is tough and I hope the inj bug Is done heading into the state series. We should see these 2 battling it out again

195-Wilderman is poised for a trip to Bankers with the year he's having. He didn't disappoint yesterday either. This kid is an athlete.

220-Good day for yet another Boots

285-I think this field is open for grabs

Refs- Absolutely atrocious. They reminded me of the NFL commercial where the 4 refs are contemplating on what call should be made, yet still messed up. Come on SIAC, as the Hook stated, these kids deserve better.

Coaches- What would a wrestling event be without the echoing sound of Coach Zuber. Love his passion and coaching style.

Was Coach Harmon under illness, did the calls go his way, or did his wrestlers just go out and perform without flaw. I didn't see the normal Harmon out there. Maybe it was the comfortable chairs?

Same goes for Centrals coach Lamant, fairly calm.

Oh I forgot one- Passion award

While he wasn't wrestling, Nick Lee is a class act. No one shows more passion and support than this kid. I couldn't help but notice him on the sidelines. While decked out in his warm ups, representing his team, he was so involved in every match where EMD was wrestling. Moving on the sidelines as if he were in the match himself. Then, one of the first ones to meet his teammate after their match. Classy and fun to watch even if he's not on the mat.

Let's get The Ugly out of the way.  The referees were nothing short of atrocious.  Because of his substantial belly, bad knees or both, one of the referees did not have the ability to get to the mat.  A number of times, I saw him call falls while hovering over the grapplers; nor did he slide his hand under the shoulder blades.  

This isn't the WWE refs should NOT put their hand under the shoulder blades.

Yes, the officiating as a whole was inconsistent and horrible for everyone, both the wrestlers and fans. No consistency, poor calls across the board and yes, I will not call him out by name, but there was definitely one official that would not give any effort to moving himself in a position to make a valid call.  However, not only was the officiating horrible across the board, there were other circumstances that I hope Castle can resolve before the Regionals.  Please find some qualified help to run the scoring tables!  Help that knows how to run the clock/scoreboard and Track and can pay attention to the action and not be distracted by cell phones, other conversations etc. Many times the scores were wrong, periods were wrong, weight class' were wrong, and clocks were not running.  Running the clock/scoreboard and Track is not a difficult task and the fans and wrestlers deserve better.  For sanitation, it would be great if someone could periodically ensure that the men's bathroom had paper towels available for the washing of hands, and therestroom trash can was emptied once in a while to avoid used towels being strung all over the floor.   And "no-smoking" means "no smoking".  Walking out the side door and propping it open doesn't benefit the people inside, we can smell the smoke and feel the cold air. Castle is a great venue, plenty of seating, all mats can be seen from any seat, and great concessions.  But there are a few things that seem simple to fix that would make the entire experience pleasant.

For sanitation, it would be great if someone could periodically ensure that the men's bathroom had paper towels available for the washing of hands, and therestroom trash can was emptied once in a while to avoid used towels being strung all over the floor.   And "no-smoking" means "no smoking".  Walking out the side door and propping it open doesn't benefit the people inside, we can smell the smoke and feel the cold air. Castle is a great venue, plenty of seating, all mats can be seen from any seat, and great concessions.  But there are a few things that seem simple to fix that would make the entire experience pleasant.

Guess "The Dirty South" lives up to it's nickname! Yuck.

I too noticed the crowd size. The roads weren't that bad, so not sure where all the faithful were at. At this time of the year, if you don't get at the Paradise Center early, you're fight for a seat, concessions and bathro breaks,not this year. With the talent there is here down home, and the level of competition, I was a little disappointed in the size of support.

106-While Egli and Casebolt are clearly the 2 front runners, Egli is just way too much for Casebolt.

113-I look forward to the Annakin and Horty rematch. Great to see Annakin back. There for a second, with his quickness and slick single leg, I thought I was seeing Konrath. Talented kid and should make some noise at state.

120- Luigs was too much for the field. He looked a little disgruntled after his win, maybe cause he was caught a little off guard from the freshman. Watch out for Bealmer in years to come.

126-In my opinion, the worst finals match of the day. After building a lead and going into the 3rd, Willis sprawled out on the mat for the whole period. In any other match, these refs we had would have called stalling. Not in this case. Good job by Craig(Re) trying to make something happen, just fell victim.

132-HUGE shout out to Embry. Probably the biggest shocker of the day. Knocking off one of Castles top guns and coming up just short against Elpers(No) who is having a great year. Very entertaining match.

138-Jourdan is going to make some big noise here at this weight. Definately see these 2 again in the finals at sectionals. Joudan made some sloppy mistakes that made this match closer than what it actually appeared before the fall. He's clearly the stronger of the 2 and I expect to see Jordan clean up his mistakes in route to Bankers. It won't be close in their rematch.

145-ALL LEE

152-possibly the toughest weight class there yesterday led by EMD Senior Lehman. Castles big fresan Nunn didn't back down from anyone. He beat a tough Williams(Me) who was battling flu like symptoms. I look forward to see these 3 again.

160-While He was the favorite coming in and did take home the SIAC title, Farmer was battled by a tough Carr.

170-Dowell looked impressive. Completed dominated his finals for Garnett. I was a little suprised at the outcome.

182-In a rematch from just a coue days ago where Castle came away with an OT victory, Brown came out to take an early 5-2 lead before falling to yet another inj. Default. This kid is tough and I hope the inj bug Is done heading into the state series. We should see these 2 battling it out again

195-Wilderman is poised for a trip to Bankers with the year he's having. He didn't disappoint yesterday either. This kid is an athlete.

Refs- Absolutely atrocious. They reminded me of the NFL commercial where the 4 refs are contemplating on what call should be made, yet still messed up. Come on SIAC, as the Hook stated, these kids deserve better.

Coaches- What would a wrestling event be without the echoing sound of Coach Zuber. Love his passion and coaching style.

Was Coach Harmon under illness, did the calls go his way, or did his wrestlers just go out and perform without flaw. I didn't see the normal Harmon out there. Maybe it was the comfortable chairs?

145-ALL LEE

Willis went in 3rd 4-2.  Willis was smart in this approach to keep him out of trouble although this should have definitely been a stall.  Not even a warning was issued.  It appeared from the stands that Craig had a 45 degree tilt that was not called as well.  Craig will get another chance this week.  Look for a great matchup.  Hats off to Willis for having a great year.  Look out for Craig he is peaking.

Yes, the officiating as a whole was inconsistent and horrible for everyone, both the wrestlers and fans. No consistency, poor calls across the board and yes, I will not call him out by name, but there was definitely one official that would not give any effort to moving himself in a position to make a valid call.  However, not only was the officiating horrible across the board, there were other circumstances that I hope Castle can resolve before the Regionals.  Please find some qualified help to run the scoring tables!  Help that knows how to run the clock/scoreboard and Track and can pay attention to the action and not be distracted by cell phones, other conversations etc. Many times the scores were wrong, periods were wrong, weight class' were wrong, and clocks were not running.  Running the clock/scoreboard and Track is not a difficult task and the fans and wrestlers deserve better.  For sanitation, it would be great if someone could periodically ensure that the men's bathroom had paper towels available for the washing of hands, and therestroom trash can was emptied once in a while to avoid used towels being strung all over the floor.   And "no-smoking" means "no smoking".  Walking out the side door and propping it open doesn't benefit the people inside, we can smell the smoke and feel the cold air. Castle is a great venue, plenty of seating, all mats can be seen from any seat, and great concessions.  But there are a few things that seem simple to fix that would make the entire experience pleasant.

I will agree with you on the horrific officiating, that goes without saying.  I think the phrase that best describes it would be they scraped the bottom of the barrel for this one.  I took many pictures throughout the day and I can't tell you how many I ran across that show a ref looking at another mat while there was a match in progress on their own.  Also numerous pictures where they were in near fall or even fall position and the official is standing straight up making no attempt to see what was going on at his feet.  The table workers did make quite a few mistakes but aren't they volunteers?  By no means am I trying to defend their incompetence but at the same time aren't the officials supposed to be able to make sure those things stay accurate?  Yet another instance of taking what they could get because there probably isn't an abundance of people jumping up to help out and now I ask you this, since everyone else was doing it wrong, did you offer to help or even offer any helpful advice?  If you could do it all so much better, when's the last time you volunteered your time to ensure that these boys have the qualified competent help at these events that they deserve?  To my next argument, the doors at no time were propped open, this I could see clearly as I used them often to run in and out to get things throughout the day that were needed for our team.  There was some heavy traffic in and out of the doors which would have caused some cold air to come in as the doors opened and closed, but even if they were propped open, how exactly were you able to feel the cold air in the gym that felt a little more like an oven from the doors that were a half a mile away at the end of their ridiculously long hallways?  You mentioned the side doors, maybe next time use the front ones to go in and out so that way if you did in fact smell the odor of cigarettes the smell won't be so overwhelming?  But in the same token, again, I used those doors more times than I can count that day and I didn't not smell anything in the hallways.  Are you sure that it didn't maybe reach your nose after you walked out the doors?  Now I have to bring up the issue of the bathrooms that you mentioned in your comment.  This was hilarious when I thought about it and the reason I say that is because the women's bathroom wasn't dirty and nasty.  I think in this case, you have to ask yourself, is your complaint a true janitorial issue or is it really a case of grown men not being able to pick up after themselves?  Cleaning up after kids all week during school hours is one thing when they're paid to do it, but I'm going to guess that the regular janitorial staff was not on payroll over the weekend but it almost sounds like you think they should come in on their days off to pick up after full grown men that should be able to wipe their own rear ends, flush their own toilets and hit a trash can with the paper towels they use to dry their hands with after washing, but with some of the sanitary issues that you already stated were happening, it kind of makes you wonder if they even wash their hands at all?  I can't help it, but for some reason, as I read some of your statements, the words drama queen and melodramatic princess were the first things that came to mind and this had me thinking that I bet you're just a pleasure to spend time with!!!!

Edited by wrestlingforlife

Mr. Wrestlingforlife: Castle has the SIAC and subsequently needs to accommodate the venue with competent "volunteers".  If they can't find local help, then maybe they should ask each school to provide some qualified help as is done at Team State. And yes I have ran the scoreboard, book, and Track at wrestling events. Without distraction it is simple. If your read and comprehended my comments, I didn't state or imply the open doors were those that were used to enter the event.  The doors in question ware on the south east side of the gym and were propped open with an orange cone and there are many people that would testify to such.  The fact is, there is no smoking on the school campus, period.  As far as the bathrooms, if you enjoy feces filth, then enough said toward your life style. I tried to give constructive criticism in an attempt to help with the overall experience that Castle will control over the next two weeks. In general, they put on a good event and I am appreciative of their hard work, but there are some things within their control that would make the event even better.  "Melodramatic princess" and a "pleasure to spend time with", if you are not capable of comprehending written comments and or accepting constructive criticism, and are tolerant of social filth that can easily be remedied, then no, you won't like spending time with me, and fortunately I don't have to spend time with you.

It's funny that you mention reading comprehension because you didn't seem to understand the restroom issue at all and started making false accusations about me enjoying filth? No where in my comment did I mention enjoying it and it was more about grown men being able to pick up after themselves. I'm sorry that I didn't break it down to an easier level for you so that you could fully understand it. Without a doubt they need to make some changes since they host the SIACS but your "constructive" approach at offering advice looked more like a gripe session than anything. As for the entrance on the south side of the gym, use a different entrance, use a different hallway, God knows there are plenty of options. FYI - I can't stand filth so your assumption is just that, an assumption and we all know what assumption means.  Relax a little bit, life is too short to be so unhappy.  Regardless of bad officiating or bad venue or all of the above, there was some great wrestling that went on this weekend and I'm anxious to see the Sectional brackets come out his evening.... Have a good day sir!

Edited by wrestlingforlife

i could be wrong but I don't think he was talking about an actual entrance.   I saw a door leading out from where the filming takes place propped open and people smoking.   and yes the men's restrooms did run out of paper towels, wasn't a big problem though, because i usually shake the first persons hand i see after washing and not drying just to see the look on their face when they shake a wet hand

Where the paper towel issue is concerned, we at Castle are taught to not pee on our hands...

As for the scorers table help, these folks bust their Butts and provide one of the best run tourneys year in and year out. You can find faults in just about anything of you look hard enough.

And as for the ever "grumpy" Bob Harmon, he's possibly the most misunderstood human ever judged from the stands. Is he tough? None tougher! Is he demanding? Only of his kids best efforts. And is he cranky... Ok, yes he's cranky... But we would all run through a burning building for him because he has given so much to us by being cranky, and demanding, and most of all... Coach

Mr. Wrestlingforlife: Castle has the SIAC and subsequently needs to accommodate the venue with competent "volunteers".  If they can't find local help, then maybe they should ask each school to provide some qualified help as is done at Team State. And yes I have ran the scoreboard, book, and Track at wrestling events. Without distraction it is simple. If your read and comprehended my comments, I didn't state or imply the open doors were those that were used to enter the event.  The doors in question ware on the south east side of the gym and were propped open with an orange cone and there are many people that would testify to such.  The fact is, there is no smoking on the school campus, period.  As far as the bathrooms, if you enjoy feces filth, then enough said toward your life style. I tried to give constructive criticism in an attempt to help with the overall experience that Castle will control over the next two weeks. In general, they put on a good event and I am appreciative of their hard work, but there are some things within their control that would make the event even better.  "Melodramatic princess" and a "pleasure to spend time with", if you are not capable of comprehending written comments and or accepting constructive criticism, and are tolerant of social filth that can easily be remedied, then no, you won't like spending time with me, and fortunately I don't have to spend time with you.

That door is propped open every year by the smokers. I smell it and feel it just about every time I go to Castle as well. I knew exactly what you were talking about.

That door is propped open every year by the smokers. I smell it and feel it just about every time I go to Castle as well. I knew exactly what you were talking about.

If this happens at Regional, please notify someone from Castle, or the Deputy Sheriff.........Castle peeps aren't  normally allowed in "that" end of the Gym 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.