Class-by-class semi-state and state statistics

maligned

if this is true then we should have 6 classes and that would make 96 state qualifiers per weight class  and that should get more kids coming out because they see the success of their friends  then there would be more scholarships handed out since there would be 84 state champions in indiana

Except in his argument he stated 2 classes would be perfect.  Not 6, 5, 4, or 3. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Except in his argument he stated 2 classes would be perfect.  Not 6, 5, 4, or 3.

he also said having state qualifiers will boost the sport    so i say the more the merrier    if more state qualifiers will really make the sport better then why shouldnt we have as many state qualifiers as humanly possible  or are you now saying that its not the case???

madison had 11 wrestlers at sectionals and took third at sectionals taking 8 to regionals    placing 6 with two champs at regionals they won team regionals  and then had two semi state finalists with one champion    how is this possible with such small numbers since big schools have such an advantage in an INDIVIDUAL sport

he also said having state qualifiers will boost the sport    so i say the more the merrier    if more state qualifiers will really make the sport better then why shouldnt we have as many state qualifiers as humanly possible  or are you now saying that its not the case???

madison had 11 wrestlers at sectionals and took third at sectionals taking 8 to regionals    placing 6 with two champs at regionals they won team regionals  and then had two semi state finalists with one champion    how is this possible with such small numbers since big schools have such an advantage in an INDIVIDUAL sport

Again, you are making an extreme argument.  The competition becomes too watered down with too many participants,as any reasonable person would acknowledge.  The  competition would not be too watered down with 2 classes.

Who said it was impossible to be successful at a small school?

that is the whole point  if you water it down at all you are then removing the significance the guys at the small school winning.  if you are an amazing wrestler and you destroy everyone in your division but never get to showcase your skills against the entire field you have now watered it down too much

My question after looking at this data is if the data is proportional to the number of kids wrestling.

The majority of 3A schools fill their lineup... In 2A there are les teams with a full lineup... And in 1A there is even more teams that do not have a full lineup... 

So if there are less wrestlers in 1A then shouldn't they have less state qualifiers than 3A or 2A?

1A and 2A teams that consistently have full lineups tend to perform well and have some state qualifiers and placers on a regular basis ( Adams Central, Yorktown, South Adams, Jay County, Garrett, etc..)

Is it all proportional ?

This is a great question. I was thinking the same thing.

that is the whole point  if you water it down at all you are then removing the significance the guys at the small school winning.  if you are an amazing wrestler and you destroy everyone in your division but never get to showcase your skills against the entire field you have now watered it down too much

Yes, winning state in a 2 class system would be demoralizing.

Yes, winning state in a 2 class system would be demoralizing.

i never said demoralizing but no one wants to share a state title  if you have worked that hard to stand on the top of the podium you dont want to stand on the top of the podium only to watch someone else get the exact same award

its like the Olympics now where there is no third place match  two thirds stand on the podium together  kinda silly

this is our logic but the multi class supporters will then just say that proves the reasoning for classes  when i think it proves that you dont need classes

I support the growth of the sport in our state. I would like to see how many 1A had a 90 percent full line up for sectionals because that will change the number of coarse you will draw a lower number from less participants. Not at 3A schools have full rosters either but I would guess the number is much lower. 

My question after looking at this data is if the data is proportional to the number of kids wrestling.

The majority of 3A schools fill their lineup... In 2A there are les teams with a full lineup... And in 1A there is even more teams that do not have a full lineup... 

So if there are less wrestlers in 1A then shouldn't they have less state qualifiers than 3A or 2A?

1A and 2A teams that consistently have full lineups tend to perform well and have some state qualifiers and placers on a regular basis ( Adams Central, Yorktown, South Adams, Jay County, Garrett, etc..)

Is it proportional, or is partly the reason small schools don't fill their line-ups is the discuoragement factor that they hava an exremeley remote chance of sending a kid to state.

12 kids went from 1A, so out of 104 1A schools thats 11.5% of the schools that qualify a kid to the state tournament.  How many kids dont go out in 1A as they know they'll achieve top success.

Is it all proportional ?

Wrestling Scholar, I guess it is the chicken or the egg question... Some small schools struggle to fill their lineup, thus having fewer wrestlers with the chance to qualify for state. I can not say why they do not fill their lineup.. Many small schools have had a wrestler or two have huge success but that did not transfer into more kids wanting to wrestle...

I do not however see it disparaging that the 1A kids qualify at a lower percent... The percent seems to be relatively equal to the number of wrestlers in the other classes and their state qualifiers...

maybe we should class the olympics    smaller countries should have just as much chance to medals as larger countries lol

Same tired arguments. The Olympics vs high school sports great comparison. Shows how short sighted you are and really how much people don't care about the growth if this sport. Illinois just recently went to the classes from two. We are one of only a handful of states that is not classed. Why were many state classing wrestling in the 60's and 70's? How come wrestling hasn't died in those states with class wrestling if it is so detrimental?

Same tired arguments. The Olympics vs high school sports great comparison. Shows how short sighted you are and really how much people don't care about the growth if this sport. Illinois just recently went to the classes from two. We are one of only a handful of states that is not classed. Why were many state classing wrestling in the 60's and 70's? How come wrestling hasn't died in those states with class wrestling if it is so detrimental?

Joe- our current system is GREAT! What else is there to say?

i didnt say it would hurt the sport of wrestling.  but it will hurt the competition in indiana.    and how is looking at the global scale of the olympics short sighted???    two classes would not change indiana wrestling in any way except it would cost more money because you would be giving out twice the awards at state finals

i didnt say it would hurt the sport of wrestling.  but it will hurt the competition in indiana.    and how is looking at the global scale of the olympics short sighted???    two classes would not change indiana wrestling in any way except it would cost more money because you would be giving out twice the awards at state finals

Likely paid for by more family and friends attending from more wrestlers making it that far.

Great for what? Great for the big schools, why yes. Great for stunting the growth of the sport, why yes. Great for making it near impossible for a small school to have success, why yes.

It's not currently hurting Mater Dei, Yorktown, Bellmont, South Adams. It is definitely not near impossible for these guys.

Is it great for the big schools? Do you think the Bigs just have success automatically because of numbers? heck NO

Look at their coaches;

Franklin- Hasseman

Perry- Tonte and Schoettle

Penn- Harper

Mishawaka- Smith/Snyder/Hasseman

Cathedral-Rhodes/McGinley

These guys are completely dedicated and have built staffs and communities that buy into their system. You would be hard pressed to go to an off season meet and not see these guys there.

I have NO doubt these guys would be successful at 1A schools as well. It would take a few years, but it would happen.

There is NO substitute for HARD WORK.

But there is a shortcut...which it sounds like you would like to take.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.