Won't happend this year but how many denied their 3rd State Title as seniors?

takedownartist

I think the guys that this may have happened to, don't really need to relive it long after the fact on this website by a bunch of guys that never even won 1 title....jmo

It probably would be pretty traumatic for them.... And you're right, no one dare talk about titles unless you have one.

talk about titles all you want, I just don't think its kool to start a thread about the shortcomings of others who were obviously great high school wrestlers just didn't win it their senior year.....

I don't think anyone would see it as a short coming for winning "only" 2 state titles, especially in a single class state. I didn't see this thread as a slam on anyone who this happened to.

Tim Myers of Bellmont came into the the 1995 championship match as a senior at 134, undefeated since his sophomore year, and already a 2-time champ.  He was shockingly beaten somewhat easily by Greg Larsen of Hanover Central.  Myers was an all-time great and a solid D-I prospect while Larsen hadn't had near the same level of success in the state tournament.  So it came as a huge surprise to those of us that hadn't seen him wrestle much. 

Tim Myers of Bellmont came into the the 1995 championship match as a senior at 134, undefeated since his sophomore year, and already a 2-time champ.  He was shockingly beaten somewhat easily by Greg Larsen of Hanover Central.  Myers was an all-time great and a solid D-I prospect while Larsen hadn't had near the same level of success in the state tournament.  So it came as a huge surprise to those of us that hadn't seen him wrestle much.

I heard that Myers and Larsen had wrestled at least two other times in ISWA and Larsen had won both of those matches. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

Myers definitely the most successful wrestler to yet come out of a very strong program. So a 4th, 2 firsts, and a second is nothing to be ashamed of.

Agreed.  I think sports in general was a different animal back then - no internet, limited video, not as huge of an ISWA presence, etc.  Many wrestlers came into the state finals as relative unknowns.  I do believe Larsen had a runner up finish on his resume, but certainly not the statewide reputation Myers had.  I'm dating myself, but I remember how big of a deal it was to receive the pamphlet in the mail from the IHSWCA with the team and individual rankings.  Technology has clearly changed things, especially the days of a virtual unknown shocking the world at the state finals. 

Greg Larsen was a great freestyle wrestler he was as smooth as anyone in freestyle. Not sure how many freestyle state titles he had maybe someone from Hanover could answer. I would guess over 10-12. For the people that saw him during freestyle I don't think it was that big of a surprise.

Greg Larsen was a great freestyle wrestler he was as smooth as anyone in freestyle. Not sure how many freestyle state titles he had maybe someone from Hanover could answer. I would guess over 10-12. For the people that saw him during freestyle I don't think it was that big of a surprise.

He was also the runner up the previous year behind Josh Hutchens(2xer).  Strengthens my theory that nobody ever remembers the Runner-Ups.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.