Seeding

randalllynch

Serious?  Short vocab lesson:  a devil's advocate is someone who, given a certain argument, takes a position he or she does not necessarily agree with, for the sake of debate.

I never said I agreed with point of view, but isn't that what some/many coaches believe whether they admit it or not?  The mindset that there's no greater good to be accomplished, just how I can help the kids in my program be the most successful?

I would hope coaches dont take that approach. i dont know any in my area that do...but we are small beans around here.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a kid that constantly defies you will you give them what they want? Now replace kid with coaches and you with the IHSAA.

The IHSAA isn't a perfect "parent" either.  If you have parents who have a long history of breaking promises, ignoring requests, and overruling each other, that makes it difficult to follow all their rules.

The IHSAA has set the criteria - If coaches don't follow that criteria, are they defying them?

The spirit of seeding is to separate the best kids - If coaches strictly follow the criteria, is that defying them?

There are going to be situations where coaches have to go against something the IHSAA put out there.

The IHSAA isn't a perfect "parent" either.  If you have parents who have a long history of breaking promises, ignoring requests, and overruling each other, that makes it difficult to follow all their rules.

The IHSAA has set the criteria - If coaches don't follow that criteria, are they defying them?

The spirit of seeding is to separate the best kids - If coaches strictly follow the criteria, is that defying them?

There are going to be situations where coaches have to go against something the IHSAA put out there.

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Whether the IHSAA is a model parent or not, we aren't going to get ANYTHING accomplished by defying them. That goes with anything, coaches using unethical practices with weigh-ins, seeding, or anything else.

I've read the bulletin numerous times, and I agree with the common sense aspect, but is there an official ruling on the statute of limitations for a loss?

The language about head to head competition doesn't specify the time span of said competition. I.e., should a loss from last season or two seasons ago factor heavily into the seeding for THIS season's sectionals?

??? ??? ???

I've read the bulletin numerous times, and I agree with the common sense aspect, but is there an official ruling on the statute of limitations for a loss?

The language about head to head competition doesn't specify the time span of said competition. I.e., should a loss from last season or two seasons ago factor heavily into the seeding for THIS season's sectionals?

??? ??? ???

Pretty sure it is understood that it is the current wrestling season.

As well  it should.What people should know is rule a. is used first and is usually the only one needed head to head, unethical to that point would be dodging a wrestler just to avoid a lose.  It will work out in rule  b. common opponents, cant avoid them all. c. before d. is slightly ignorant. Last year was last year,all kids change alot in a year. This years record way more important, luckly most seedings never get past a. & b.

Most everyone close to this post knows the truth behind this here post. The best two are at the bottom the one seed doesn't deserve it and truth be known wont win his first match. When this happens it strips the deserving wrestlers from their opportunity to place/ make the finals etc.  it changes the team race and its just BAD. At some point and time the coaches need to say we are not the best or second best and let the better wrestler take that seed. I guess what I'm saying is that there needs to be a common sense criteria. It's almost like stealing and comes to my attention more and more that its the same folks. The link to the Kiefer thread is a tough one, but this one is not even close shouldn't even been brought up. But in the end the better wrestlers always get to climb to the top of the podium regardless of their seed at the beginning. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.