Penn at Al Smith

H1N1

That was a pretty dominating performance by Penn today at the Al Smith. I can recall very few times that I've seen a team, at imop the most challenging tournament in Indiana, have a Day 1 performance that strong. We' ll see if they follow up tomorrow. 14 guys making it to Day 2 is really incredible.

Penn has been building towards this for along time. Is this just the start of a run for them?  Or is this an apex year?  I'm thinking it's the start of something special given that Hiledbrand, Slates, Woods, Swank are only freshman/sophomores and plenty of solid upperclassmen. Do they have middle school guys that will add to their lineup strength over the next few years? If they are going to overtake Perry Merdian, I still think need slightly more, but man they are close.

:)Just wondering whats the record in a dual with team points differental PENN 78 -TO MINUS 2 FOR COLUMBIA CITY. Has that ever happened before, ateam ending with minus points? ??? ??? ??? :D

Can't remember that in a dual meet, but that did happen at least once at Regionals. Some years ago, I witnessed the singular regional qualifier for a school get kicked out and hit with -2 team points.

They had a great showing, but you also have to notice that solid programs like Bellmont, Mishawaka, Elkhart Memorial, and Lawrence North didn't have as strong as teams like years past at this tournament.

Agreed in the case of Lawernce North and Mishawaka, but imop that was expected as they are both less powerful lineups his year. I thought Bellmont and Elkhart Memorial did alright today with guys they have. Not stellar, but not bad.

They had a great showing, but you also have to notice that solid programs like Bellmont, Mishawaka, Elkhart Memorial, and Lawrence North didn't have as strong as teams like years past at this tournament.

But a very strong Warren Central team was also added .

Interesting Merrillville wasn't included in those teams.

:)Just wondering whats the record in a dual with team points differental PENN 78 -TO MINUS 2 FOR COLUMBIA CITY. Has that ever happened before, ateam ending with minus points? ??? ??? ??? :D

happened at least thrice at Caston last week

http://indianamat.com/messageboard/index.php/topic,28511.0.html

we had that happen a few years ago, kid was winning from the other team, and didn't like the refs call, and started arguing with him, then said what do I care, we haven't scored a point. He got dq'd and then they took 2 team points, not sure the final, but was thinking 66 - -2

Unfortunately my team in 2009 may have got the record for the point difference. We lost 82 to (-3)

Ouch!  That final round by Penn was not as good. I think they went 4-9 in the last round. Mishawaka I thought was quite impressive from an individual standpoint going 3-0 in the finals.

I think everyone knew Penn wasn't going to win at 152,160, 182 and 220 . Penn lost two toss up matches at 106 and 195 .

Penn is so solid top to bottom. The matches at 106,170,195 could have went either way. It's the Al smith there are a lot of really good  wrestlers

106 #5 Cummings d #1 hildebrant

126 #3 Davis d unranked Franko(he will be ranked next update!)

152 #3 Macri d #5 rhinehart

160 #2 Hughes p #8 mammolenti

170 #7 Osborn d #9 Katsofaras

182 #4 Eldridge d #10 wiseman

195 #4 Johnson d #5 Woods

220 #1 Robinson d #12 stohler

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.