t-SHIRTS

Regionrat1

Any outside chance of him placing in the top 4 at NCAAs?

I'd say so if he has a good tournament. He just beat highly ranked Sueflohn.  Also above him on the rankings Grajalas is very inconsistent, Altons out for the start of the season and has some inconsistencies,  he has had a few close matches with Dardanes before, he's keep it close against national champ Maples too, etc.  So given the right draw and peaking at the right time I'd say he could finish in the top half of the podium. 

• 2 weeks later...

After Maple's loss yesterday, he has now lost three times this year all to different opponents, to Kindig of Oklahoma State and Tsirtsis continuing to climb the rankings you have to think Tsirtsis is capable of winning a title this year.

Has an Indiana wrestler ever won an NCAA title as a Freshman?

After Maple's loss yesterday, he has now lost three times this year all to different opponents, to Kindig of Oklahoma State and Tsirtsis continuing to climb the rankings you have to think Tsirtsis is capable of winning a title this year.

I will go out on a limb and say no. I think Jason can do it for sure.

Currently ranked 9th according to FLO. I am so excited to see how well he does this year. Any outside chance of him placing in the top 4 at NCAAs?

Yes, a good chance. It's still early, but looking at results from last year and this year, his best competition should be Maple, Houdashelt, Dardanes, Sueflohn, Grajales, Busler, Alton and Sakaguchi. He beat Busler and Sueflohn. Sakaguchi, and Alton are inconsistent. Maple does not look good this year. Dardanes and Grajales are beatable. Houdashelt is a rock, but if Tsirtsis stays hot, he could defiantly be top 4 or even a medal winner.

I just wanted to mention Tsirtsis is a redshirt Freshman.  Howe won as a true Sophmore, which is the same collegiate age as a redshirt Freshman.  Of course Howe finished second as a true Freshman.

I just wanted to mention Tsirtsis is a redshirt Freshman.  Howe won as a true Sophmore, which is the same collegiate age as a redshirt Freshman.  Of course Howe finished second as a true Freshman.

Indeed he is a red-shirt, but that is not the same thing as a true sophomore.  I understand it is the same age, but it is not the same number of years of eligibility.  Hence, if someone wins as a freshman, red-shirt or not, they have the possibility of winning four titles.  Where as someone who wins their first title as a sophomore could only win three titles.

149 pounds Caleb Ervin, Illinois Mitch Minotti, Lehigh Jason Tsirtsis, Northwestern Zach Neibert, Virginia Tech Hunter Stieber, Ohio State UNATT Eric Grajales, Michigan David Habat, Edinboro Chris Castillo, Boise State Jake Short, Minnesota UNATT Mike Kelly, Iowa Joe Bonaldi, Binghamton Gabe Morse, Northern Illinois Alex Griffin, Purdue Blake Roulo, George Mason UNATT, Destin McCauley UNATT

Thes guys have all registered so far

Indeed he is a red-shirt, but that is not the same thing as a true sophomore.  I understand it is the same age, but it is not the same number of years of eligibility.  Hence, if someone wins as a freshman, red-shirt or not, they have the possibility of winning four titles.  Where as someone who wins their first title as a sophomore could only win three titles.

You are correct.  The point I meant to make is Tsirtsis has the same amount of collegiate level practice right now as Howe had the year he won his title.  In that regard a redshirt Fresh is the same as a true Soph.  The hardest jump is going from the high school practice room to the college practice room, which is why true freshman rarely contend for the national title as Howe did his Freshman year.

Being Jason's first year on varsity, the big question will be how he handles the brick wall that many first year varsity wrestlers hit around mid January.  Since this is his second year in college he should be ok if he has his weight properly under control.

With regards to Escobedo, He won his title as a redshirt sophmore, which was his third year in college wrestling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.