Evansville Semi State Rankings The Final Post. Stats behind the Rankings.

TripleB

At 145, Korbin Karges (Princeton) has beat Zach Batts (Cascade), Jacob Smith (Evansville Central) has beat Matthew Ruddick (Seymour) and Karges defeated Smith at the Evansville Central Sectional last Saturday, 5-2.  I think Karges is too low at 6 and Smith is too low as well. 

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who are the most likely wrestlers from the Eville SS to win State?  Are there any sleepers with a legit shot at winning it all even though they aren't favored? 

If you were to put together a pound-for-pound ranking ala boxing, would it be the same as the most likely?  Or are there more than one wrestler in some weight classes that would make a P4P list?

Who are the most likely wrestlers from the Eville SS to win State?  Are there any sleepers with a legit shot at winning it all even though they aren't favored? 

If you were to put together a pound-for-pound ranking ala boxing, would it be the same as the most likely?  Or are there more than one wrestler in some weight classes that would make a P4P list?

I think this year Evansville has a good chance to have several state champions.  Probably more this year than in recent years.  Those most likely are:

Konrath and Egli at 106 - I think these 2 are the top 2 contenders in the state at 106

Smith and Ferguson at 113 - Again, I think both have a great shot at a state title.  We could have the top 2 here as well

Lahue at 120 - Red is a big monster in the way, but Lahue is really really good

Lee at 126 - My pick to win

Lykins at 138 - Has a shot, but probably wouldn't be considered a favorite by many.  If he turns it on like he did last year at state, who knows

Kelley at 152 - Again, he's ranked #1 for a reason and beat Macri at the IHPO.  Another great shot for Evansville.

Thacker at 195 has a legitimate shot to win as well if he gets hot at the right time.

Tolley at 220 - Same as Thacker.  Robinson is the favorite, but we've seen upsets before and Tolley is capapble.

That's 7 possible State Champions for Evansville.  Will we get that many?  Probably not, but I can't wait to see on Feb. 22.

First let me say I live out of state and have always loved wrestling and try to follow Indiana wrestling, but it's mostly around tournament time.  So there is a lot about these kids I don't know.  From Evansville originally and get some info from people there, but mostly here, online papers, etc.  I do follow the tournament on Saturdays on trackwrestling or video streams and have streamed the state finals the past several years.  But I gotta ask, despite possibly sounding stupid. 

A few questions:

1.  What gives Lee a realistic shot to beat Micic for the state title?  I know he's good, but he's a frosh, so my info on him is limited.  Have they ever faced each other in summer tournaments?  Micic seems awfully good!

2. Why is Konrath at MV?  It seems like a kid that good that lives in that area would end up at MD.  It seems really odd (yet very cool) that 2 of the top 3 kids in the state at that weight live so close.  I could see it if he were at Reitz, but Mt. Vernon isn't known as a wrestling powerhouse.

3. Why do MD kids always seem to have so many fewer matches than most of the other schools? 

4.  Lastly, does anyone think Schaefer (106 Memorial) has a chance to beat Nawl this weekend?  Have they faced each other?

Thanks for the answers and all of the info and opinions posted here. 

I think this year Evansville has a good chance to have several state champions.  Probably more this year than in recent years.  Those most likely are:

Konrath and Egli at 106 - I think these 2 are the top 2 contenders in the state at 106

Smith and Ferguson at 113 - Again, I think both have a great shot at a state title.  We could have the top 2 here as well

Lahue at 120 - Red is a big monster in the way, but Lahue is really really good

Lee at 126 - My pick to win

Lykins at 138 - Has a shot, but probably wouldn't be considered a favorite by many.  If he turns it on like he did last year at state, who knows

Kelley at 152 - Again, he's ranked #1 for a reason and beat Macri at the IHPO.  Another great shot for Evansville.

Thacker at 195 has a legitimate shot to win as well if he gets hot at the right time.

Tolley at 220 - Same as Thacker.  Robinson is the favorite, but we've seen upsets before and Tolley is capapble.

That's 7 possible State Champions for Evansville.  Will we get that many?  Probably not, but I can't wait to see on Feb. 22.

I think people believe that Lee an beat Micic based on how good Nick is.

1. As a 7th grader he pinned the high school 3rd placer at the indianamat pre season open. A wrestler Micic majored in route to his first title

2. Nick is a fargo All American as a first year cadet also a pan American games champion

3. Micic beat Zach Davis who he beat for a state title last year 9-7. He wrestles him earlier this season 2-1. Lee wrestled Davis at ihswca team state and it was 14-4 not very close.

Konraths brothers have been at Mt. Vernon I would guess that's why he attends also

First let me say I live out of state and have always loved wrestling and try to follow Indiana wrestling, but it's mostly around tournament time.  So there is a lot about these kids I don't know.  From Evansville originally and get some info from people there, but mostly here, online papers, etc.  I do follow the tournament on Saturdays on trackwrestling or video streams and have streamed the state finals the past several years.  But I gotta ask, despite possibly sounding stupid. 

A few questions:

1.  What gives Lee a realistic shot to beat Micic for the state title?  I know he's good, but he's a frosh, so my info on him is limited.  Have they ever faced each other in summer tournaments?  Micic seems awfully good!

2. Why is Konrath at MV?  It seems like a kid that good that lives in that area would end up at MD.  It seems really odd (yet very cool) that 2 of the top 3 kids in the state at that weight live so close.  I could see it if he were at Reitz, but Mt. Vernon isn't known as a wrestling powerhouse.

3. Why do MD kids always seem to have so many fewer matches than most of the other schools? 

4.  Lastly, does anyone think Schaefer (106 Memorial) has a chance to beat Nawl this weekend?  Have they faced each other?

1. Micic to me is the favorite given his credentials and national ranking, but Lee isn't your ordinary freshman, he has traveled all over the world finding the best competition possible to prepare him for a match like Micic. It would not be a surprise to see Lee win this matchup.

2. Although Mt Vernon isn't a "powerhouse" they are a strong steady program that in the past 5-7 years have always put out strong teams both at the middle school and high school levels along with a established feeder program that Konrath came out of I believe. They have young coaches who put a lot of time into the program to get it where it is today. I'm sure Konrath could go anywhere he wanted, but I think he'll do just as fine at Mt.Vernon than he would at Mater Dei, I mean he did already beat a MD kid pretty soundly.

3. Not sure on there scheduling? I don't think they go to a lot of invitationals where you get 8-10 matches in a weekend on a Friday/Saturday.

4.  I think Nawl is the clear favorite, being a senior returning SS Qualifier going up against a Freshman, I'm going to go with Nawl. Schaefer is solid but still don't think he is on that level yet as I watched him struggle with a Tell City kid at the Sectional. Could be a good match though that if Nawl isn't ready then Schaefer could pull the upset.

A few questions:

For your question #3, it could be that they have such a deep line-up, that they move guys around so that they can get their reserves some matches.  That could easily shave several matches off.  Just a guess though.

For your question #3, it could be that they have such a deep line-up, that they move guys around so that they can get their reserves some matches.  That could easily shave several matches off.  Just a guess though.

MD doesn't schedule as many matches as some schools.  Most years when a MD kid has 30-35 a wrestler from another school may have close to 50.  Not exactly sure why this is, but it has been the case for years.  Might have something to do with having a really good competition in the room.  Having a great practice partner certainly reduces the need to schedule more matches.  Also it is correct that MD moves backups or JV kids in and out of the lineup occasionally to get a good match or a little experience.  This year MD lost several matches due to the weather.  The opening weekend 5 way at Mt. Vernon was cancelled and never rescheduled and the next weekend at the Jasper 6 Way one team failed to make the trip due to the weather.  That's five matches missed right there.  Still wouldn't get anywhere near some schools out there, but it would be 5 closer.

At 145 there is Batts, Dunn and Kelly all on the same side of the bracket at Mooresville so they all can't be here. Batts and Kelly are first round so one of them will be out after first match. Dunn has split one and one with Ruddick. Both were one point matches.

MD doesn't schedule as many matches as some schools.  Most years when a MD kid has 30-35 a wrestler from another school may have close to 50.  Not exactly sure why this is, but it has been the case for years.  Might have something to do with having a really good competition in the room.  Having a great practice partner certainly reduces the need to schedule more matches.  Also it is correct that MD moves backups or JV kids in and out of the lineup occasionally to get a good match or a little experience.  This year MD lost several matches due to the weather.  The opening weekend 5 way at Mt. Vernon was cancelled and never rescheduled and the next weekend at the Jasper 6 Way one team failed to make the trip due to the weather.  That's five matches missed right there.  Still wouldn't get anywhere near some schools out there, but it would be 5 closer.

It seems like there may be some ego/vanity attached to the number of wins.  Over the years there are a couple of coaches in the area that are always quoted about their kids records.  If you are undefeated, or have 50 wins, you must be really good!

I noticed a kid in the castle sectional that only had one loss on the year, but he finished fourth in the sectional.  He will likely go out the initial round of the regional. 

There is a number of southern Indiana teams that would move to the next level if they toughened up their schedule.  Look at Franklin or perry meridians record; their schedule is brutal. Their kids have so many big matches, the affect of another big match is minimized.  Obviously , they also receive the benefit of their weaknesses revealed. 

Quality vs quantity.

145 mooresville regional will be tough but Schober is a kid with the strength and heart of a champ. He's made plenty of upsets to prove he's a contender. From knowing him personally he knows what he wants and exactly what he has to do. Kids a stud in the weight room and will be a problem for anyone in his way. anyone have him winning semi state and placing top four.

Ok #5 Joudan was tech - falled last weekend by #18 Todrank but does not move in rankings?  And thank you for your ever so kind response.

I could be mistaken but I don't think Jourdan was tech-falled by Todrank. I think the final was 12-3. Still an impressive win by Todrank. He seems to be getting stronger every week.

I could be mistaken but I don't think Jourdan was tech-falled by Todrank. I think the final was 12-3. Still an impressive win by Todrank. He seems to be getting stronger every week.

Todrank was fantastic last week, but don't look for that score to continue with Jourdan. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.