14 year old freshman state champs

datdude

I was thinking over the weekend about the number of freshman that come to high school and win right away. I was surprised at the number of freshman state champs we've had, but even more surprised to see that I could think of only two in the last 30 years or so that hadnt been held back or started school late. If memory serves me correctly, Lance Ellis and Cj Red are the only two I could come up with. We have some very good freshman incoming that could win( Nick Lee, McCrary for example) but  these guys are already cadets. Not bashing at all just wondered if there were more 14 year old champs. This makes being a freshman champ that much more impressive imo. Are there more?

I was thinking over the weekend about the number of freshman that come to high school and win right away. I was surprised at the number of freshman state champs we've had, but even more surprised to see that I could think of only two in the last 30 years or so that hadnt been held back or started school late. If memory serves me correctly, Lance Ellis and Cj Red are the only two I could come up with. We have some very good freshman incoming that could win( Nick Lee, McCrary for example) but  these guys are already cadets. Not bashing at all just wondered if there were more 14 year old champs. This makes being a freshman champ that much more impressive imo. Are there more?

Just because a kid turns 15 his freshman year doesn't mean he was held back or started late, per se.  My oldest was a 1st year cadet his freshman year (March b-day) and my youngest is a 2nd yr cadet his freshman year (Sept b-day).  Could we have started our youngest a year earlier?  Can't remember the details but I don't think so.  I mean, I suppose we could have if he was uber talented academically.  Just luck of the draw as far as we were concerned.  However, I do understand what you're asking.  A 14 year old state champ is nuts.

Considering there have probably been about 10 freshman state champions in the history of Indiana wrestling no matter the age they are it is an elite club. 

Eric Galka may have been 14 when he won state also, he was a first year cadet his freshman year

I thought that there were 11 freshman champs. I understand that a freshman champ is an elite club but being in ones

"correct grade" makes that club even more eliete. I believe Greg Schafer from EMD was a 14 year old champ in 95 as he was a fargo champ at cadet the summer of his sophomore year. Again, this post is not intended to bash or belittle anyone whatsoever, Im just simply wowed by the skill level of these young guys.

Nathan Boston has an early January birthdate and was barely 15 when he won state.

You are teetering on a very touchy subject with the "correct grade" statement. There are many kids in the correct grade as you put it that are cadets as 8th graders.  Any kid with a birthdate of September through December will most likely be a cadet as an 8th grader.

Nathan Boston has an early January birthdate and was barely 15 when he won state.

You are teetering on a very touchy subject with the "correct grade" statement. There are many kids in the correct grade as you put it that are cadets as 8th graders.  Any kid with a birthdate of September through December will most likely be a cadet as an 8th grader.

When my boys started school July 1st was the cut off. My oldest bday is July 11th, cadet as an 8th grader. He'll turn 18 6 weeks after finishes his junior year. So I could hold him back and he'd still be 19 for state his senior year  ;D

Yeppers my boys birthday is Sep 24 so he has been an eighth grade cadet this year. quite honestly it is a bit of a disadvantage for ISWA anyway as he get 2-3 days of club practice a week instead of the 5 days high schoolers get + club practices if they go. Pays off I'm sure when he gets to high school, but makes for some frustrating matches against sophomore kids sometimes.

I agree with you the High school kids get 30-40 matches a year plus a month or two more of practice 5-6 days a week. The other thing is when you go to a tournament you may only get 1-2 matches cause there isnt that many 8th grade Cadets. Most of the matches after the high school season is over is a 8th grader vs a sophmore. Its a very tough year for a 8th grade Cadet.

I would venture to say that there is close to an even split whether a wrestler is a first year cadet as an 8th grader or freshman. From the kids I coach I even see it lean more towards more being a first year cadet as an 8th grader.

Fall b-days are definitely the norm nowadays where it seems years ago kids b-days more fell in the spring.  May or may not be true.  Kinda like remembering "horrible" winters compared to nowadays.

I was 14 until the end of my freshman year. But I was also one of the youngest in my class, as long as the freshmen isn't turning 16 during their freshmen year they are in your so called "right grade"

And there have been atleast 14 if I'm not mistaken. The 8 fourtimers, galka, harper, raley, phillips, boston, and red

I was 14 until the end of my freshman year. But I was also one of the youngest in my class, as long as the freshmen isn't turning 16 during their freshmen year they are in your so called "right grade"

And there have been atleast 14 if I'm not mistaken. The 8 fourtimers, galka, harper, raley, phillips, boston, and red

Add Greg Schafer to that number

Add Greg Schafer to that number

Yeah that's why I said atleast 14. Its still an elite group.

you should turn 15 sometime during your freshman year, 16 as a soph, 17 and a jr and and 18 as a senior......that's the general rule of thumb.....but of course there are kids with summer birthdays and this is where a lot of this controversy comes from.....my youngest son has a late summer birthday so he actually turned these ages right before each year started which puts him in the proper class but he is one of the older kids......

Considering there have probably been about 10 freshman state champions in the history of Indiana wrestling no matter the age they are it is an elite club. 

Eric Galka may have been 14 when he won state also, he was a first year cadet his freshman year.

Galka looked very young as a Freshman. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.