Sending Olympic medals back.... would you do it?

AJ

It seems that some past Olympians have sent their wrestling medals back to the IOC as protest of wrestling being removed from the Olympic games.

What is your thought on this?  More importantly, could you part with your Bronze, Silver or Gold medal?

I've heard this too.  It's just crazy to fathom someone parting with such and important item, but  they are doing it for a very important cause I guess. I hope the IOC both recognizes what a big statement they are making with this gesture, and also are respectful enough to send the medal back after this issue has been resolved.

Is it possible these wrestlers will be stripped of the title of Olympic Medalist?  I remember in the 2008 Beijing Olympics Ara Abrahamian returned his medal in protest and was stripped of his title, which he was later quoted as not caring about, and was kicked out of the games altogether.  I understand this is an entirely different scenario, but still risky nonetheless.

Is it possible these wrestlers will be stripped of the title of Olympic Medalist?  I remember in the 2008 Beijing Olympics Ara Abrahamian returned his medal in protest and was stripped of his title, which he was later quoted as not caring about, and was kicked out of the games altogether.  I understand this is an entirely different scenario, but still risky nonetheless.

I thought he walked off of the medal stand in the middle of the ceremony and threw his medal down.  It was stripped because that goes against the "Olympic Spirit" 

Either way I don't agree with the wrestlers sending back their medals in protest, especially as the fight is to focus on the strengths of wrestling being in the olympics.  On the other I cannot fathom what it would take for an Olympic medalist to sacrifice his/her achievement for others.  All the things we hope we can teach our young wrestlers. 

Ara Abramain, from Sweden no less, was the biggest jerk of an athlete that I ever encountered in 25 years as a FILA referee...and no, I was not involved in the match he lost in Beijing.  Each time he lost it was a conspiracy to cheat him (according to him).  He should have been thrown out of wrestling long ago.

Other than that I'm fairly neutral about the guy.

Aj I would send it back.  The medal is just a display of the accomplishment. It doesn't change the history books.

Greco ref u act like u were there or something.

He's got a few connections. :)

Maybe evetyboody should dig up old medals and send them in. Bombard them w ISWA medals. MattM I got some if u need any

Thanks for your kindness, I was fearing that I would have to break open my display case and have to part with my large collection of participation ribbons. 

In regards to the subject though, at least this is showing the most united front that the wrestling community has had in quite some time.  Hopefully the joint effort of so many countries turns out to be a positive thing.

Pretty sure the Russian mafia will get wrestling back in the olympics. I sincerely believe they will work their magic when it comes to prostitutes, $ and  drugs which is what the ioc is looking for.  Wierd that  the meeting is taking place in St. Petersburg.  The unified show of support is nice but unnecessary as the Russians have wrestling's back (so to speak).

Two seasons ago my high school coach passed away. At the wake i gave my medal from high school state to his wife. In my eyes i wanted to share the medal that he helped me earn with his family. He never won a medal at state despite being a great wrestler so i was giving her the medal to show that he had earned a medal. The medal is merely a symbol of your past accomplishment but no one can take away from me the fact that i won a medal i couldnt even give my title as a state placer away if i wanted to.

Although the situation is very different, it us only a medal. It wouldn't be upsetting to send it back.no one can argue the fact these men are olympic placers/champions. Besides getting rid of your Olympic medal reduces your federal tax burdan.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.