Merrillville done after 10 pm??

decbell1

Evansville also is an hour behind. Ran smoothly and got done sometime around 8 or 9

Merrillville was done right at 9. They ran 4 mats for the first round of wrestle backs then half way thru the 5/6 place mats they went to 2 mats because they had to wait for the 45 minutes in between bouts. I think it ran fairly smooth maybe a shorter lunch break would've been nice but that was only 30 minutes.

We didn't stay for the last three weight classes in the finals, and we still didn't get home until 11:45. Ridiculous. Hopefully Merrillville will address this problem next year.

Is south bend the same time as Merrillville? How long is your drive?  Not sure what else they can do unless like someone else suggested they run 4 mats during the semis and wrestle backs. Them everyone would complain about bring crowded for a extra round.

Is south bend the same time as Merrillville? How long is your drive?  Not sure what else they can do unless like someone else suggested they run 4 mats during the semis and wrestle backs. Them everyone would complain about bring crowded for a extra round.

South Bend IS an hour ahead of Merrillville, and it's about an hour and a half drive. For people from Merrillville and surrounding areas, it didn't seem very late. But for anyone who had to cross time zones, it was an extremely long day. Things did run very smoothly, and there aren't many other ways they could try to save time, but 4 mats for the semis could do nothing but help the time issue. Though I definitely understand why people complain about being crowded.

Maybe the only way to make this fair is to do like someone suggested it and move it every few years so that the same schools don't travel as far every year. Although that would not help me as my drive time to Merrillville was 20 minutes. But that would also require schools to step up and run the tournament.

Some people on our team were talking about other places to have it. We came up with great ideas, it's just the problem of someone actually WANTING to host it. For example, Adams has the perfect gym for this, with seating up to almost 2000, and enough floor space for 4 mats. But no one is willing to have the burden of organizing it.

Some people on our team were talking about other places to have it. We came up with great ideas, it's just the problem of someone actually WANTING to host it. For example, Adams has the perfect gym for this, with seating up to almost 2000, and enough floor space for 4 mats. But no one is willing to have the burden of organizing it.

I think that's the key. I'm sure it's not an easy job and takes a lot of support and help.

Why not try to coax M'ville to host in a different venue?  VU's gym is very large and just 20 minutes or so east of the high school.  I know for that specific location scheduling, price, etc could be an issue, but why not explore those options?

That gym would be perfect. But yeah, it would take a lot of work for a school to run it so most schools won't.

Why not try to coax M'ville to host in a different venue?  VU's gym is very large and just 20 minutes or so east of the high school.  I know for that specific location scheduling, price, etc could be an issue, but why not explore those options?

The idea of hosting it at Notre Dame was also thrown around. But yet again, price and scheduling would be HUGE issues.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.