interesting article on recruiting!

curt1812

So you are telling me that if a state champ moved in to your district because his parents got a job there and he came in and teched the kid who has been there his whole life in a challenge match it would be "wrong" to let him wrestle? Thats the attitude of everyone deserves a 1st place trophy...

That will show them....we can complain about it all we want but if it is truely as bad as we are being told people need to speak up. Being scared that your name will get smeared is a great exscuse to not do anything...just ask lance armstrong....

SMH...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an idea... The wrestling community knows what schools are guilty of recruiting, right? Shame them.. loud sounds of BOOS after the announcement of the  teams name during Parade of Champions at the state championships..

But what if one of these teams has a kid with the knickname "Moose".  Then they'd you were cheering for them.

It becomes harder to "build it" if your building material is constantly being stolen.  

That is apparent when you go to iswa state and see the same handful of kids from different programs battle it out for titles from 4th grade until middle school and come their freshman season they are all on the same team.

I think the thing we're arguing against is the very thing that the School Choice Program will create naturally - elite-program schools.  If a school displays dominance in a certain program, more and more talented students in those areas (I'm talking everything from football to theater) will want to "choice" to that school.  This will naturally lead to "elite" programs being "built" based on program reputation. The unfortunate drawback of this is that some perhaps less-talented students who are "actual" (meaning they directly feed into that High School based on school district lines) will be left behind and will have to either call it quits on that program or "choice" to another school (most likely one with a lesser program) in order to get a shot. I'm just not certain how the IHSAA is going to police these recruiting policies when School Choice seems to lend itself to those very kinds of possible violations.

Going to school used to be about getting the best possible education, but those lines have been so blurred and it's unfortunate that so many "student athletes" are light on the student part and heavy on the athlete part and that so many parents seem to think that's OK.

Recruiting will always be present, but ethics should be mandatory for coaches evaluations. If a kid moves to another school because his parents made him, then it is a legitamate move. the kid should not be blamed for anything. If the student moves half way through the season than he/she should sit the rest of the season of the current sport. If the kid moves to another school and his whole family doesnt come, then tuition should be paid, and the student should be on a mandatory probation in case of grade slipage, and posted to a local transfer list for all coaches and athletic directors to see. If the move happens before high school, then nothing can be done. It's when a high school student transfers because of an outside element that I have a problem with. It isnt fair to the smaller schools. The transfer should be documented, so that the coach also knows that the student is leaving and why. Youth club transfers happen all the time. There isn't anything you can do about a youth tranfer.

I think it's hilarious that Merrillville's AD, Janis Qualizza is the one being quoted in the article. Let's take a look at the Pirates line up & you tell me how many went to Merrillville Middle Schools or Junior Highs. Just saying.

I don't have a problem with any family that moves and transfers or the school that accepts them so long as they follow the rules of the almighty IHSAA. Especially if neither schools AD has a problem with it. I doubt that most head coaches including Merrillvilles had anything to do with any of these transfers. Just the same way that Crown Points head coach did not have anything to do with all of the transfer that they have received the past few years or any other school.

Truthfully, what business is it with anybody where I send my child for school?  If my child is excelling in school and a sport of any type, I am going to try to get him/her somewhere that he/she will get more exposure to try to land scholarship money.

UNSTER, Ind. (AP) — Parents at a summer Little League All-Star tournament will have to be much more careful of what they say or who they talk to. The same goes for parents of grade-school-athletes playing travel baseball, softball, soccer or basketball in the summer.

For the first time in history, the Indiana High School Athletic Association’s bylaws on recruitment are no longer being applied to high school students alone.

With the passing of Bylaw 20-2 this past summer, potential student-athletes as young as 10 could lose their high school eligibility if recruitment is found.

IHSAA Commissioner Bobby Cox said the association in Indianapolis that governs high school sports in the state has heard reports of outside people influencing youngsters to attend a certain school to play sports. If found out, a fifth-grader could lose his or her high school athletic eligibility.

“We’ve never discussed what happens before the ninth grade,” Cox said.

Until now. The bylaw was authored by the IHSAA’s executive staff and approved April 30 by the Board of Directors by a 16-0 vote.

Merrillville Athletic Director Janis Qualizza was at the meeting and agrees 100 percent with the new bylaw. She said a day doesn’t go by where one of her middle school coaches comes into the Pirates’ athletic office and tells stories about students being recruited to leave by an unaffiliated lay coach.

“Ten years old, come on,” Qualizza said. “The recruiting has gone bonkers. We have middle school kids telling our coaches they should go to another school because of this or that. It’s crazy.

“I don’t know the answer to stopping all of this. But we have to try.”

This is the first school year where Bylaw 20-2 applies. Cox said no case has come up under 20-2 to date.

Crown Point attorney Michael Jasaitis has taken on the IHSAA in many eligibility cases through the years. He expects Bylaw 20-2 will keep him and other attorneys busy once eligibility cases come to the forefront.

“This new IHSAA bylaw appears to be a rule with terms so vague that reasonable persons would have to guess at its meaning and would apply the rule differently, which may render it invalid pursuant to the concepts of vagueness and overbreadth,” Jasaitis said. “Such a rule also could be overreaching, especially in light of the fact that a high school athletic association is attempting to punish 10-year-olds, which would seem to be outside of its jurisdictional authority.

“Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see what a court would do if this rule is challenged in the future.”

Jasaitis pointed out one line in 20-2 that shows what he calls the vagueness of the rule. It reads, “A student with a history of athletic recruitment is a student who was, at any time after the student’s Tenth (10th) birthday, recruited by an individual or agency which has a reputation or history of recruiting students who have shown athletic talent, have shown potential athletic talent or whose physical appearance was consistent with those of an athlete ...”

“What does that mean?” Jasaitis said. “We’re going to look at the physical appearance of a 10-year-old?”

Marvin Rea, Bowman Academy athletic director and boys basketball coach, said also he is confused about how this will develop.

His 2010 Class A state championship team had six players who played for him in AAU ball when they were 9. He was not associated with Bowman at that time. He was an engineer.

“If this rule was written 10 years ago, I would’ve been in violation, or maybe not,” Rea said. “What is their definition of recruiting? Coaches have camps for grade-school and middle-school kids everywhere. Can you have clinics? Can you have camps? Can baseball or softball coaches give lessons or coach travel teams where they can influence kids to attend their schools?”

Many local AAU programs use high school gyms for practice. Is that now a violation if the student is 10? Or 11 or 12?

Cox knows his association’s move is historic. But he and his membership also believe that recruitment at the lowest levels has brought this about. “We’ve heard scenarios where sixth-graders are being identified as potential athletes by outside people,” Cox said. “We’re trying to combat that.”

are you kidding me for her to bring this up is just wrong she's the ad and she lets this stuff go on all the time she's a joke how many wrestlers do they have on there team that doesn't even live in there town they had a kid transfer mid season come on lady your a joke and yes I'm calling you out this a bunch of bull practice what you preach and David is all about it get me kicked of this site because its the truth and all you puppets can bash me for saying this but it's true so to bad

are you kidding me for her to bring this up is just wrong she's the ad and she lets this stuff go on all the time she's a joke how many wrestlers do they have on there team that doesn't even live in there town they had a kid transfer mid season come on lady your a joke and yes I'm calling you out this a bunch of bull practice what you preach and David is all about it get me kicked of this site because its the truth and all you puppets can bash me for saying this but it's true so to bad

yes she is right but if the school knows about it and let it happens anyway its the program and the school should pay for it not the kid

I don't see any reason to call out anyone especially kids on this website. I don't think it's anyone's business why that kid transferred mid season but I know for a fact that their was a valid and personal reason for it and it should be left at that. His previous school did not have a problem with the transfer.

I don't see any reason to call out anyone especially kids on this website. I don't think it's anyone's business why that kid transferred mid season but I know for a fact that their was a valid and personal reason for it and it should be left at that. His previous school did not have a problem with the transfer.

i never called the kid out hope him any every kid the best of luck but the ad of let say school number 1  wasn't gonna against school number 2 she is on the board and you know it so if I'm calling someone out its her  and if she lets it go than like I said shame on her she's a hypocrite and  lier

Sinic the Great,

I have followed region wrestling for a while now including Merrillville and I don't remember your son ever wrestling for Merrillville. According to your profile your email address danny42bell@yahoo.com. Are you the same Danny Bell that helps with the River Forest team?

I know Coach David Maldonado fairly well and for you to accuse him and call him out is wrong. I am very confident that what you said

"I have seen it with my own eyes, and sat in the room when they asked my son to come for them. They said they would take care of everything.  My son wrestled for them his junior and senior year and did great."

Did not happen.

It's one thing to have your own opinion but to make false accusations is just simply wrong.

If the student moves half way through the season than he/she should sit the rest of the season of the current sport.

That is easily one of the DUMBEST things I have heard. You are telling me that you think it would make sense that if a senior's parents got a new job and had to move to a new school that he should be robbed of his senior year? Come on guy use your head.

Sinic the Great,

I have followed region wrestling for a while now including Merrillville and I don't remember your son ever wrestling for Merrillville. According to your profile your email address danny42bell@yahoo.com. Are you the same Danny Bell that helps with the River Forest team?

I know Coach David Maldonado fairly well and for you to accuse him and call him out is wrong. I am very confident that what you said

"I have seen it with my own eyes, and sat in the room when they asked my son to come for them. They said they would take care of everything.  My son wrestled for them his junior and senior year and did great."

Did not happen.

It's one thing to have your own opinion but to make false accusations is just simply wrong.

I work with Danny, and I promise, he could care less about anything that I have said or the topic in general. He knows how schools work, I share a computer with him, and if you know him. you would know he has young children, not old children. So just because i am on his profile doesnt change the fact that i still believe what I said, and they do cheat. I am not trying to make the people on this blog believe me, I am just putting it out there. I watched merrillville steal a wrestler from the school this year as well, so whether you like it or not, I am not the only one that helped merrillville cheat. As for Danny, I will tell him that I have made these posts so he at least has a heads up that i have been commenting on his computer. Merrillville cheats. plain and simple.

Sinic the Great,

Did not happen.

ok puppet no I'm not Danny bell since you called out David yourself yes he is a cheat and a liar no he doesn't do it himself he has stevtson do it and your the one wrong he has at least 6 maybe 7 kids on that team that are from other towns around the area I can sit here all day and make my points but I hope the chicken heads of iihsaa that they take a good look into her and David there the worst o ya sorry they couldn't even win they conference with all the star power they have to all of the wrestlers hope you guy do great this is not against the wrestlers this is again to the hypocrite ad they have in the school system and on the board iihsaa again practice what you preach puppets please don't reply

I work with Danny, and I promise, he could care less about anything that I have said or the topic in general. He knows how schools work, I share a computer with him, and if you know him. you would know he has young children, not old children. So just because i am on his profile doesnt change the fact that i still believe what I said, and they do cheat. I am not trying to make the people on this blog believe me, I am just putting it out there. I watched merrillville steal a wrestler from the school this year as well, so whether you like it or not, I am not the only one that helped merrillville cheat. As for Danny, I will tell him that I have made these posts so he at least has a heads up that i have been commenting on his computer. Merrillville cheats. plain and simple.

Thats a cute story it really is....

You are telling me that you share this computer with someone who happened to already have this account on it. And have been posting under his name and he didnt know before hand...

It won't matter! Teams like Merrillville will still use nomad wrestling to recruit young talent. Look at how many of their wrestlers transfered from another school. Hell they took 3 from RF, and 2 from Hobart, 2 from East Chicago. They will still steal from other schools regardless of the rules. No one ever punishes them for their illegal recruitment. Cheaters will always be present.

thats your original post posted on  January 28, 2013, 08:58:19 AM

This is the date your account was created...January 28, 2013, 08:52:14 AM

you are telling me that he created an account and within in 6 min, you "hijacked it " and accused merrilville of cheating and have solid proof?

Im no detective but something doesnt add up....

And yes I have way too much time on my hands

Guy above me you are just a nut job its pretty obvious....From your reaction i have a feeling you think Obama is a Lizard Nazi bent on Murdering all the american children

Ok I guess I will comment on one of these blogs since my name is being brought up. I dont comment on these blogs because the majority of you treat it like facebook. I did go through a situation with Merrillville this year, and they took a wrestler from us. It's not like they snuck in our school and stole him. I could care less if a wrestler leaves. He's 6 points, I can make that up with another wrestler. Do i think some of the info that our mutaul friend has said about merrillville, YES, do I think that coach maldanado is a great coach, Yes. I know that you people want to fix everything by whining on a blog, but the fact is, you can't. You fix it by pursuing justice. I dont care what you guys do. This topic is, and has been a dead topic. so keep yammering on here like it matters. no one cares. Have a great day, and stop bringing up my name. There are probably more schools that do unethical things than you actually could believe. Schools have to do what they can to compete. ever heard the saying, if you aint cheatin, you aint tryin, and if you get caught, you wernt trying hard enough. Well has anyone been caught????? OK then.

First off to Danny Bell IF sonic the great is not you then I apologize. but if you look at the evidence that detective Fabio has showed I think you can see how it looks suspect. Once again I apologize.

Now to the real sinic I still believe that your son never transferred to Merrillville his junior and senior years. So if this is a lie how can anything else that you say be credible. And if you work at River Forest then you know (maybe you don't) that their were certain personal circumstances surrounding the transfer this year. This forum is not the place for them as they are personal and should be left at that. If you or any part of the River Forest team had a problem with the transfer then you should of spoke to your AD not complained about it on this message board.

Hey Inspector gadget, or Fabio "i cant believe its not butter" jr.  if an acount is made and someone looks at the site and I'm still logged in, and they comment. Wouldn't it still have my name. I didnt even register on this site because all i do is read the info and updates on here. Now you people have me commenting on a subject that is touchy with me. So I registered another one so I can clarify this. It wasnt me, it was a friend. If you dont like what he said, do something. You obviously must have some kind of tie to merrillville or something, because looking through your posts, you would think that someone at merrillville is related to you or something along that line. If you are good at something people pay attention to you. If they pay attention to you, they watch what you do. If you watch hard enough you'll see gaps in merrillvilles morals. But WHO CARES! ITS MERRILLVILLE! No body is threatened by them! I am not worried about a team that "supposedly" cheats, and comes in 3 in their conference lol Obviously they arent that good at cheating lol End of discussion.