Live from London (Spoiler if you want to wait for TV coverage)

Tigiev, the silver medalist in 2008, gets a td at 90 sec mark, wins period 1-0. Hatos didnt mount any real offense. Scoreless in 2nd...tigiev drawing ball, wins the draw. Gets the td, wins the bronze medal

Gentry up next against tsargush...tough match for the former ncaa champ

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tsargush in on a single, gets it, leads 1-0...the two time world champ tsargush wins the period 1-0. Gentry has a deep hole to dig out of now.

2nd period, scoreless thru 1st 90 secs, tsargush gets a throw to win period 2-0...wins bronze

Burroughs and goudarzi up next for gold

As Julio said, there's a HUGE match at 60kg on the mat right off the bat at 8am today.  The world champion Khudukov of Russia, who many think is pound-for-pound best in the world, wrestles world silver medalist and former Michigan St. NCAA champ Franklin Gomez of Puerto Rico.  Gomez just shocked him a couple months back in a European tournament for Khudukov's first loss in years.  And they draw first round at the Olympics!!!  Watch this match if you're a fan of wrestling at all!

All 3 guys in the repechage today with a chance at bronze.  Herbert at 84kg needs a win over a Turk to wrestle for bronze.  Scott and Dlagnev are already qualified for bronze medal matches.  Action restarts at 12:45pm.

Colman Scott gets the Bronze with a late 3rd period takedown.  Dlagnev couldn't convert his shots and ends up lost a close one in the bronze match.  Herbert had another heartbreaking iffy decision to end his run in the repachage wrestlebacks.

Varner and Frayer will be up to finish up the wrestling competition Sunday.

In a nutshell, I was swindled out of my tickets for all of Saturday's events. I had to watch on my computer in my room. However, I will be on the scene for the first session on Sunday, where hopefully Frayer and Varner can get it done and land on the stand. Varner is legit, but wow is he in a brutal weight. Frayer is like Scott to me, in that he's caught fire recently and is wrestling the best he's ever wrestled at the right time. I'm actually shocked that Scott has had the summer he has; I never thought of him as globally elite--I was WRONG.

In less than 6 hours I'll be blabbing on here again....and I can't wait!!

Varner is legit, but wow is he in a brutal weight.

Varner got a great random draw with all of the big names in the other side of his bracket.  So he should have a legit shot at adding to the US medal count if he wrestles up to his potential.

Tajiks yusopov beats russias gogaev 1-0 1-0. Lopez loses ball draw vs taghavi, taghavi gets pushout and takes second period. Tied one period apiece. They are scoreless in 3rd...lopez wins the draw...the third place world finisher gets a big slam takedown and knocks off the world champ!

96kg turkeys balci wins first period vs kurgizstans musaev. Scoreless in 2nd, musaev wins draw...gets big pushout, wins 2nd period. Third period musaev wins draw, pushes out, wins match...challenge by turkey denied

Yonemitsu of japan advances due to forfeit..american samoan opponent, didnt catch name

96kg 2008 olympic silver winner tigiyev of kazak leads gadisov of russia 1-0..russian ties it and wins period

Final rd of 16the match at 66kg..defending olympic champion sahin of turkey vs kumar...sahin gets td and looks for gut...no dice, leads 1-0. Theyre in neutral. Sahin wins first period 2-0. Scoreless 2nd, kumar wins draw, gets the point, wins the period. Kumar gets first takedown, trying to kill clock...beats sahin in an upset

Gadisov of russia wins in 2 periods vs tigiev of kazak

In round of 16, 66kg another forfeit at safaryan of armenia wins by walkover vs egypts ahmed

Also at 66kg, ukraines kyvatkovski leads kazaks tanatarov 1-0 in first, tanatarov scores last in period and wins first period

In round of 8, cubas lopez takes on japans yonemitsu, runnerup at worlds last year. Yonemitsu wins first period 1-0.

Frayers up!!

Horrible start for frayer. Gets taken down quickly and gutted for two more...trails belarussian shabanau 3-0. Loses first period. Looked pretty brutal during that period. Scoreless thru 60 secs, frayer not even really close to scoring so far...scoreless second period...frayer wins ball draw..wow, the belarussian escapes and takes down frayer....wins in fairly dominant fashion...maybe repachage hope for frayer

Tantarov wins match vs ukraines kyvatkovski

Yonemitsu wins second vs lopez 1-1 to advance to semis.

66kg uzbek navruzov vs georgias tushivilli...navruzov wins first period 3-1

66kg rd of 8, canadas garcia wins balldraw in first period...gets td to win first period

Navruzov of uzbek wins in 2 periods vs tushishvilli

66kg Azerbaijan's hasanov wins first period 3-0 over bulgarias bazan, who was 5th at worlds last year. Hazanov is a former jr world champ, wins 2nd period to advance

Tajik's yusopov wins 2nd period 1-0, garcia almost got a late takedown. canada challenges...challeng denied...they are tied 1 period apiece. Great match. Garcia with a td and quick exposure leads 2-0...looking like he will advance to semis..he does

Another egyptian forfeit, this time at 96kg, georgias gogshelid advances

96kg on three mats now

Canadas pliev vs cubas cortina- cortina wins first period 2-0. Trailing 2-0, plieve got a throw in to tie it and win the period. Tied 1-1, heading to 3rd. Late takedown wins the match for canadas pliev

Macedonias ceban vs nigerias boltic-scoreless 1st, ceban wins balldraw, gets the point and period. Scoreless in 2nd too, boltic wins draw, but gets pushed out, loses 1-0, 1-0. Nigeria challenges and wins the challenge. They are tied one period apiece

2008 olympic medalist gazyumov of azerbaijan and belarussian ruslan scoreless in first. Gazyumov wins 2nd and the match

Varner time!!!!!!

Varner pushing the action, but no score thru 60 secs. Scoreless 1st period. Balldraw for varner..wins the draw. Bulldogs the uzbek out of bounds

Boltic and ceban go three periods with no points in regulation. Cebas wins balldraw and wins the match

Huge match on mat c. Russian gadisov wins first period 3-0 over iranian yazdani. There are SO many iranians here. They have a horn and are stomping, clapping and chanting "I-RAN"

Varner had a nice takedown attempt countered on the edge of the mat and got pushed out, loses 2nd period 1-0. Gets a sweet takedown with a minute to go. Needs to use his strong defense the rest of the way...VARNER wins!!!!

God these iranians are insane. The massive yazdani wins the 2nd period vs gadisov 3-0. What a match..tied 1 period apiece and 1-1 in 3rd period...wow, a late takdown for yazdani wins it 2-1. Incredible crowd energy for an incredible match. Clutch takedown for the beast yadani

66kg kazak's tanatarov wins first period vs safaryan of armenia 3-2...safaryan repays him with a 4-1 win in 2nd

66kg, tanatarov beats Safaryan, winning last period 2-2

96kg, ukraines andriitsev wins first period 2-1 over tajiks iskandari, wins second 4-0

96kg, kurgizstans musaev wins first period over japans isokawa. Isokawa gets first takedown, but musaev gets one of his own, wins 2nd period and the match

66kg, indias kumar wins first period vs. Uzbeks navruzov 3-1. Navruzov wins 2nd period 2-1. Kumar gets a takedown, leads 1-0 . Wins 2-0. Kumar looking strong to medal

66kg, frayer-slayer shabanau wins first period vs, azerbaijans hasanov 2-2. Frayer could really use a second chance to redeem himself. He looked terrible--never seen him look so bad. Shabanau gets a pushout, hasanov responds with a td of his own to win period. Tied 1 period apiece. Not good. Shabanau loses in 3 periods. Shabanau gave up a late takedown, or else frayer would still be alive

96kg, georgias gogshelidze wins first period vs macedonias ceban. Ceban wins balldraw at the end of the 2nd, but the georgian fights him off and wins, one of the very few to win despite losing the ballgrab.

Varner comin up soon vs canadian pliev...pliev is tough but this favors varner

Varner looking for a semis berth. Looking massive in blue singlet, gets nifty anklepick and takedown. Leads 1-0...wins first period 1-0!

Japans yonemitsu, world runnerup last year, wins balldraw vs. Canadas garcia. Garcia fights him off in impressive fashion. Garcia wins the period!

Varner looking for a semis berth. Looking massive in blue singlet, gets nifty anklepick and takedown. Leads 1-0...wins first period 1-0!

Japans yonemitsu, world runnerup last year, wins balldraw vs. Canadas garcia. Garcia fights him off in impressive fashion. Garcia wins the period!

Nice ankle pick there...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.