Live from London (Spoiler if you want to wait for TV coverage)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Varner with a takedown at 30 sec mark...in great shape (knock on wood)....VARNER WINS!!!! ON TO THE SEMIS!!!! Agreed that varner wore down his opponents. He kept up nice pressure, more active than ive seen him at times in the past

Yonemitsu with a takedown at one minute, wins 2nd period 1-0. On to 3rd period...yonemitsu with takedown, it appears canadian was fishhooking the japanese wrestler on purpose, gets penalized a point and cautioned. Bad timing for that. 2 points is infinitely tougher to make up than 1. Yonemitsu seals the deal with big toss to garcias back, wins 5-0

96kg

ukraine's valeri andriitsev vs Azerbaijan's gazyumov in a battle of former olympic medalists. Gazyumov wins first period 1-0. Both guys with heavy paws, working the head and tying up. No score thru 90 secs. No score. Ball draw for ukraine, gets pushout. Tied 1 period apiece. Third and deciding period. The big boys lock up again, andriitsev bulling his head in gazyumovs face. Gazyumov counters the momentum, slides by for a takedown, leads 1-0. Ukraine quickly repays him with a td of his own. Tied 1-1. Andriitsev bullrushes gazyumov out of bounds...and again...3-1. Gazyumov looks broken. Pushed out again..4-1 win for the ukrainian.

Haha, i woild love to see cael anytime, anyplace. Stud doesnt even begin to cover what he is

96kg

ukraine's valeri andriitsev vs Azerbaijan's gazyumov in a battle of former olympic medalists. Gazyumov wins first period 1-0. Both guys with heavy paws, working the head and tying up. No score thru 90 secs. No score. Ball draw for ukraine, gets pushout. Tied 1 period apiece. Third and deciding period. The big boys lock up again, andriitsev bulling his head in gazyumovs face. Gazyumov counters the momentum, slides by for a takedown, leads 1-0. Ukraine quickly repays him with a td of his own. Tied 1-1. Andriitsev bullrushes gazyumov out of bounds...and again...3-1. Gazyumov looks broken. Pushed out again..4-1 win for the ukrainian.

Haha, i woild love to see cael anytime, anyplace. Stud doesnt even begin to cover what he is

That was a good match there and I agree about Cael...

Have you got to see any of the badmitton or ping pong while you have been there????  LOL

96kg, irans yazdani vs kurgizstans musaev. Yazdani starts out on fire, with two quick pushouts, leads 2-0 only 45 secs in. Yazdani warned for choking from front headlock position, but he easily wins first period 2-0. The iranian appears to simply be too much for musaev. Haha, no sooner than i type it, but musaev comes back with a pushout and takedown of his own...leads the monstrous iranian 2-0...yazdani responds with a pushout to cut the lead to 2-1. Yazdani favoring a leg, or is it an act? Musaev warned for faceslap. Yazdani gets a big td to tie it, gets a gut for 2 more to win the period and advance to semis 4-2 final score

Haha, yes its the iranians with the kazoos. They are nuts, but great fans

96kg, irans yazdani vs kurgizstans musaev. Yazdani starts out on fire, with two quick pushouts, leads 2-0 only 45 secs in. Yazdani warned for choking from front headlock position, but he easily wins first period 2-0. The iranian appears to simply be too much for musaev. Haha, no sooner than i type it, but musaev comes back with a pushout and takedown of his own...leads the monstrous iranian 2-0...yazdani responds with a pushout to cut the lead to 2-1. Yazdani favoring a leg, or is it an act? Musaev warned for faceslap. Yazdani gets a big td to tie it, gets a gut for 2 more to win the period and advance to semis 4-2 final score

Haha, yes its the iranians with the kazoos. They are nuts, but great fans

He slapped the crap out of him...That Iranian is one bad dude though....

First semi match 66kg,

kumar of india vs tanatarov of kazak. Kumar with a blast double, leads 1-0, gets a gutwrench, leads 3-0. Kumar is a jacked little dude and hes been on fire today. A lot of indian fans here today. Wins period 3-0.

Tanatarov gets a td and a gut of his own, leads 3-0. Both guys appear to be eyegouging each other. Kumar with a nice headshuck, but loses period 3-0. One period for each...

Lightning quick td and gut for tanatarov...might have wrapped it up for the kazak. Kumar responds with a td and a turk, takes 5-3 lead...huge clutch comeback by kumar. Unreal. Wins 6-3, will wrestle for gold

First semi match 66kg,

kumar of india vs tanatarov of kazak. Kumar with a blast double, leads 1-0, gets a gutwrench, leads 3-0. Kumar is a jacked little dude and hes been on fire today. A lot of indian fans here today. Wins period 3-0.

Tanatarov gets a td and a gut of his own, leads 3-0. Both guys appear to be eyegouging each other. Kumar with a nice headshuck, but loses period 3-0. One period for each...

Lightning quick td and gut for tanatarov...might have wrapped it up for the kazak. Kumar responds with a td and a turk, takes 5-3 lead...huge clutch comeback by kumar. Unreal. Wins 6-3, will wrestle for gold

What a great third period....The guy from India splattered his ear on the mat at the very end.  Huge comeback win....Could have been the match of the evening so far...

So just to be clear for everyone:

Jake Varner, USA vs. Valerii Andriitsev, Ukraine at 9:48am Indiana time for the 96kg Olympic Gold Medal!!

The Ukrainian has been wrestling out of his mind.  He just hammered the world champ and seemingly untouchable Yazdani of Iran.  Jake benefited some from a very favorable draw in perhaps the most loaded weight class in the world.  He has never beaten someone with the Ukrainian's type of results, but it is the Olympic final and absolutely ANYTHING can happen.  Go, Jake!!

So just to be clear for everyone:

Jake Varner, USA vs. Valerii Andriitsev, Ukraine at 9:48am Indiana time for the 96kg Olympic Gold Medal!!

The Ukrainian has been wrestling out of his mind.   He just hammered the world champ and seemingly untouchable Yazdani of Iran.  Jake benefited some from a very favorable draw in perhaps the most loaded weight class in the world.  He has never beaten someone with the Ukrainian's type of results, but it is the Olympic final and absolutely ANYTHING can happen.  Go, Jake!!

Where did you find that schedule?  I started watching this morning and there have been a lot of great matches.  Now Varner wont wrestle until 9:48????  Man, I hope that I can stay awake....My forehead keeps hitting the desk now...LOL

NBC has had the Marathon on for the last hour +.  They just did an Obama advertisement.....Now I really feel good about everything.  Would rather watch the ping pong that NBC showcased......NBC Sucks

My phone died, but wow was Varner impressive. That Georgian was a long-armed, thick brute, but Varner's ankle-pick is remarkable for a man of his carriage. The Iranian injured his leg in the match before, but it appeared that his toe got stuck when the Ukrainian took him down and wrenched his leg. They brought out a gurney because he apparently tore something, but that crazy tough bastard went back out for another few seconds and then he was in pure agony. They took him off in a wheelchair and he left in an ambulance. The Ukrainian is definitely another beast, but Varner is capable of winning.

Frayer looked like he had a bad case of nerves. I've seen him wrestle a bunch this past year, but he's never looked so flat-footed and sluggish like today. He looked awful on the ball draw takedown attempt. What a bummer, to work so hard and improve so much and lose it all in one atypical match. Don't get me wrong, the Belarussian was really, really tough, but Frayer should've been a lot more competitive with him.

Oh well, both days that I went, an American made the gold medal match. Not taking credit, but....haha. Great job by the freestyle team. I hope beyond hope that Varner brings home another gold.

My phone died, but wow was Varner impressive. That Georgian was a long-armed, thick brute, but Varner's ankle-pick is remarkable for a man of his carriage. The Iranian injured his leg in the match before, but it appeared that his toe got stuck when the Ukrainian took him down and wrenched his leg. They brought out a gurney because he apparently tore something, but that crazy tough bastard went back out for another few seconds and then he was in pure agony. They took him off in a wheelchair and he left in an ambulance. The Ukrainian is definitely another beast, but Varner is capable of winning.

Frayer looked like he had a bad case of nerves. I've seen him wrestle a bunch this past year, but he's never looked so flat-footed and sluggish like today. He looked awful on the ball draw takedown attempt. What a bummer, to work so hard and improve so much and lose it all in one atypical match. Don't get me wrong, the Belarussian was really, really tough, but Frayer should've been a lot more competitive with him.

Oh well, both days that I went, an American made the gold medal match. Not taking credit, but....haha. Great job by the freestyle team. I hope beyond hope that Varner brings home another gold.

It is great to see a big guy with leg attacks....Fun to watch for sure....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.