no acknowledgement for the small school wrestlers

angelafox

I just want to know why we never hear anything about the smaller schools.  We read this site constantly to keep up on things but all the focus is always on the same popular wrestlers.  Not that we don't love them and like following them, but give some of these other kids some props.  Nothing ever mentioned about any of the randolph county wrestlers.  Lets discuss how the Winchester program is dwindling but the Monroe Central program is stepping up.  Lets talk about Monroe Centrals Alex Ordonez 120 lbs who is 24-1 currently, best record currently in that county.  Our small town schools don't get to wrestle as much as the larger schools but that doesn't mean these kids skills are any less impressive.  We've seen forum on the tec and people talking about shook, 120 lbs from hagerstown, but not a mention about the kids who have beat him, kids in the same area.  smh- come on indiana mat, there's more schools out there than mishawaka, perry meridian, evansville and crown point!!

well, where shall we start? How about just throwing some names out there that we never hear mentioned. Union City -Conner Wyatt, was a semi state qualifier last year, wrestling 145 lbs this year.  kyle walters Union City took first place at ECIC this year.  Alex Ordonez 120 lbs Monroe Central took third at ECIC this year.  He also wrestled for team indiana at freestyle nationals this past year.  Taylor Morris from Monroe Central semi state qualifier last year, wrestling 195 this year. Those are just a few wrestlers that pop immediately to mind as kids to keep an eye on.  But y'all are right- if we wanna hear about them, we need to put them on here.  I would love to hear more about kids that are likely to make it to the ft wayne semis. Anyone out there with info on the ones that aren't making the 'top picks' lists, please, let them be known

Montgomery county has several kids that could make some noise at new castle.  Including southmonts Chandler moore, dan Barrett and Chandler burkhart! Also crawfordsville's miller is tough and north montgomerys  borta and lough are both ranked

Josh Sampson from New Washington  2 years ago.... was something like 40-1 heading into semi state and still didnt get any love on here....well he ended up placing 7th in a tough weight class.

But there are plenty of small schools who do not wrestle any competition and pad their records so I can see both sides of it.

Cody Phillips is from Union County, not Union City. People must not know much about these small schools  ;D

The funny thing is both of these small schools are in the same conference and have the same school colors...red, white, and blue....and when both are at different places their abbreviation is UC...when they wrestle at conference Union County is UCo and Union City is UCi! Pretty commical stuff.

And I think that kid from Turkey Run was named Pribble... ;-)

The smaller schools will never get the love as the big schools....even back in 2004 when Union County went to the semi-state vs Perry Meridian...nothing....not to mention their only losses that year were to North Central and Perry Meridian...but thats how it goes I guess!

I completely agree with this topic.  Look at Rockville this year, we have 7 kids total on the team...  but among those kids are some of the best wrestlers in our area.  The 182 is 26-1, and is as hungry as any kid could be.  The 138 is 24-2 as a sophomore and one of his losses came to a state ranked wrestler from new palestine .  The 126 is 23-5 and lost most of those matches at the beginning of the year when he was still rusty from setting out a year.  our 170 has a very impressive record as well, but i can't remember it off of the top of my head.  The kids get better everyday, and the results show that everytime they step on the mat.  We come away with multiple invy champs every saturday we wrestle...  yet no recognition on a larger scale.  While rankings do not matter, it is nice for kids to know they are recognized.  it builds their confidence and can give them that extra motivation to work harder and give 6 minutes of hell. 

Actually we thrive on that lack of recognition.

We get little to no attention and we like it like that.

Recently we have had a ranked wrestler a couple of years.  He always ended up placing higher than ranked because of our weaker schedule. He had few matches against quality opponents.  I do not see that changing any time soon.

We are working hard to get a full team and enough quality kids to compete in duals but it is a tough road for a school where all the best athletes are discouraged from wrestling.

We currently have a quality 132, but in a stacked weight class he is not getting any attention, nor should he.  Maybe next year he will get some love.  It hurts when your wrestling partners are the 145 and 113 because no one else can make you better.  He might just make it to SS this year, then he could get some attention going into next year.

Our dual record is poor and will not improve significantly in the near future but we will crank out a few kids that will turn some heads.  And the less people know about them, to me, the better.

Recognition comes in a few weeks when you are standing on the podium.

Connersville is a school that has a great program. They aint that small but not big either. They dont belong to a conference so you wont hear about any of them winning any conference championships but if they were in a conference, they would win several weight classes. Cody House and Tom Gettinger are probably the only ones on the radar but Bolos is a beast, Day, Frasur and Phillips are all real good and I cant say enough about Steele. That kid is about to be 30-5 or so and I believe a couple of those losses were at the spartan classic when he wreslted after a few days of the flu and was weak.

Actually we thrive on that lack of recognition.

We get little to no attention and we like it like that.

Recently we have had a ranked wrestler a couple of years.  He always ended up placing higher than ranked because of our weaker schedule. He had few matches against quality opponents.  I do not see that changing any time soon.

We are working hard to get a full team and enough quality kids to compete in duals but it is a tough road for a school where all the best athletes are discouraged from wrestling.

We currently have a quality 132, but in a stacked weight class he is not getting any attention, nor should he.  Maybe next year he will get some love.  It hurts when your wrestling partners are the 145 and 113 because no one else can make you better.  He might just make it to SS this year, then he could get some attention going into next year.

Our dual record is poor and will not improve significantly in the near future but we will crank out a few kids that will turn some heads.  And the less people know about them, to me, the better.

Recognition comes in a few weeks when you are standing on the podium.

Well said...I always liked to fly under the radar as well, but it is nice to have a little recognition for all of the hard work you put in...There was nothing better than being from a little school and knocking off a wrestler from Perry Meridian, Cathedral, Evansville Reitz, etc.

I completely agree with this topic.  Look at Rockville this year, we have 7 kids total on the team...  but among those kids are some of the best wrestlers in our area.  The 182 is 26-1, and is as hungry as any kid could be.  The 138 is 24-2 as a sophomore and one of his losses came to a state ranked wrestler from new palestine .  The 126 is 23-5 and lost most of those matches at the beginning of the year when he was still rusty from setting out a year.  our 170 has a very impressive record as well, but i can't remember it off of the top of my head.  The kids get better everyday, and the results show that everytime they step on the mat.  We come away with multiple invy champs every saturday we wrestle...  yet no recognition on a larger scale.  While rankings do not matter, it is nice for kids to know they are recognized.  it builds their confidence and can give them that extra motivation to work harder and give 6 minutes of hell. 

This is a discussion board so if you really feel a kid should be ranked state why and where you think he should be ranked on this thread or the rankings thread. Every kid that has a solid record cannot be ranked, so the question to ask yourself is has said wrestler beat any ranked wrestlers, and if not there is your answer. The people who do the rankings are not perfect but very very rarely have I seen a unranked wrestler show up at state and place, although there are exceptions. You'll notice on the ranking there is a noteable win area, and if your wrestler with his solid record has not wrestled anyone mentioned then again there is your answer....

Big Hawaiian:

I totally understand and agree with your statements and know how the system works.  I think some of us this comes from being from a smaller school we cant always fill a full team.  So with that we are never invited or invited back to some of these big tourneys cause we cant fill a full team.  So with that it is hard for any of our good wrestlers to run across any ranked kids to compete against.  Once in a while it does happen.  For many years we haven't been able to fill a team.  This year we fill 13 out of 14 classes.  We have 4 or 5 guys on our team with around 25 wins and the most losses are 4.  This is a team with 1 senior and the rest is sophmore's and freshmans.  We would love to attend an Al Smith or like tourney, but like I said many years we didn't have the full team so we are never invited. 

This is a discussion board so if you really feel a kid should be ranked state why and where you think he should be ranked on this thread or the rankings thread. Every kid that has a solid record cannot be ranked, so the question to ask yourself is has said wrestler beat any ranked wrestlers, and if not there is your answer. The people who do the rankings are not perfect but very very rarely have I seen a unranked wrestler show up at state and place, although there are exceptions. You'll notice on the ranking there is a noteable win area, and if your wrestler with his solid record has not wrestled anyone mentioned then again there is your answer....

I agree with you but look how many ranked kids do not have notable wins this year that are ranked...Sometimes the kids that are ranked don't see anybody else that is ranked for one reason or another until late in the season, but they are still ranked..are they deserving..proabably, but the majority of the ranked wrestlers are from big schools. The only small schools that have ranked wrestlers are wrestlers that made an impact last season either at state or semi state...just an observation

I agree with you but look how many ranked kids do not have notable wins this year that are ranked...Sometimes the kids that are ranked don't see anybody else that is ranked for one reason or another until late in the season, but they are still ranked..are they deserving..proabably, but the majority of the ranked wrestlers are from big schools. The only small schools that have ranked wrestlers are wrestlers that made an impact last season either at state or semi state...just an observation

That is absolutely correct.  You are a good example.  You were a solid wrestler and should have gotten more recognition.  We always kept track of where you were going to be.

We have only seen one state ranked wrestler all year and less than ten kids ranked in their SS.  Of those we only faced five due to pools or open spots in our roster.  We can potentially see another ten ranked (all at the SS level only) before sectionals.  That is the reality of many teams and it stinks if you want to get better but it is reality.

When you see those few kids you have to wrestle your heart out and then talk them up if you want recognized.  At this point there is not likely to be any big changes in the rankings where someone will come out of the blue.

But every year several kids show up at SS and impress enough people that they will show up in the preseason polls the next year.  Then they will slip again when they do not face anyone substantial through the season, just like Former stated.

Big Hawaiian:

I totally understand and agree with your statements and know how the system works.  I think some of us this comes from being from a smaller school we cant always fill a full team.  So with that we are never invited or invited back to some of these big tourneys cause we cant fill a full team.  So with that it is hard for any of our good wrestlers to run across any ranked kids to compete against.  Once in a while it does happen.  For many years we haven't been able to fill a team.  This year we fill 13 out of 14 classes.  We have 4 or 5 guys on our team with around 25 wins and the most losses are 4.  This is a team with 1 senior and the rest is sophmore's and freshmans.  We would love to attend an Al Smith or like tourney, but like I said many years we didn't have the full team so we are never invited. 

How many super duals have turned your school down because you haven't been able to fill the weight classes.  We have not been close to filling and have gotten into 2 fairly competitive super duals in the past 3 years.

That I don't know as I am only a dad of wrestlers.  I have heard our coach say that they didn't invite us back cause we didn't have a full team and also heard him state that we couldn't get in that cause we didn't have a full team.  How many?? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.