Who are some of the top incoming freshmen and what weight?

BlackshirtD

My oldest was 14 until the March of his Freshman year so that put him on the younger side of things.  My youngest will turn 15 in Sept of his Freshman yr (no hold backs, just the way his birthday fell).  Could we have held him back a year and then have him turning 19 at the start of his Senior year?  I guess so, but that would have been a real "tool" move on our part.  Would we have been justified?  Sure!  As a 14 yr old right now he weighs about 85 pounds.  So to all you parents looking to gain an advantage for your child by holding him back I say "grow a pair" and let your son figure it out without the advantage of shaving a full beard when he's a Freshman.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very well said seems like these guys that hold there kids back for purpose of being better in HS. Is saying that there kids arent ready for the real deal HS. So are they as good as they think they are ?My son will graduate at 17 maybe I should of held him back two years NOT we might of got the respect he deserves:) If thats how its being done.

This kind of discussion will always turn into debate. The thought of holding back is very intriguing without question. But making the move is a different story. Absolutely personal in the end. That being said, it would seem that anyone making that move should expect a great deal of scrutiny from the wrestling and educational communities, and be prepared for it.  From my personal view I don't agree with it. But that is as far as I go with my opinion, which I'm entitled to, as all are. and I most certainly wish them all the best.

In all the posts I've read on the subject I don't recall any whining, crying, or most of all anyone looking to avoid or be saved from wrestling anyone. That would seem to be a function of redshirting. But again, that's just my opinion. It's easy to say when I'm not the one being scrutinized. Y2 does make some excellent as well as interesting points though. Interesting in light of the fact that when asked, I've heard those exact words from some of the top coaches in the state relating to the views of college coaches, and lessons learned from the sport of wrestling. Your absolutely right when you say there are no asterisks, and when this becomes history, it will most likely be forgotten. But unfortunately during the time in HS, I find it difficult to believe that the label will be lost or forgotten. That label isn't a result of anyone?s opinion, or anyone?s attempt to wrong the wrestlers or their families. Right or wrong that social aspect is the tragedy of it all as it relates to the sport. That label would seem to me to transcend the sport of wrestling and shed an unfavorable light on a fantastic sport from people who aren't as close to it as we are. Like it or not, it?s not a positive for wrestling.  All this is nothing more that my opinion. And above all, I certainly mean no disrespect to the parties involved or their personal decision. And I hope we can simply agree to disagree on this subject.

In all the posts I've read on the subject I don't recall any whining, crying, or most of all anyone looking to avoid or be saved from wrestling anyone. That would seem to be a function of redshirting.

+1

Im just curious what kind of grades did these kids get last year was it in there teachers best interest to hold them back another year for eduacation reasons or the parents decision for wrestling, thats the question. And if because of ther grades it would seem to me the parents and teachers are not doing a good job to make sure they are eduacated young men. Again just asking not whining. I hope these kids are not allowed to wrestle middle school state that would not be fair to the rest of Indiana wrestlers competeing in there weight class. just my opinion

"References have been made to Forte, who is a two time redshirt and will be 20 yrs old shortly after state senior year. He?s a fine wrestler and a good kid. I?m only stating fact, so putting it out there isn?t whining, crying or a request for salvation."

Here are some of  the 'facts' on Forte as we knew when he got into high school his age would be discussed and exaggerated.   His birthday is Dec. 29th.  He's 2 days away from being a USA Cadet this year as a freshman.  He will turn 20 roughly 315 days after the high school state tourney as a senior.

Tommy was "redshirted" only once.  He repeated 2nd grade.  I'm pretty sure that's different situation than most of the ones talked about here.  

"References have been made to Forte, who is a two time redshirt and will be 20 yrs old shortly after state senior year. He?s a fine wrestler and a good kid. I?m only stating fact, so putting it out there isn?t whining, crying or a request for salvation."

Here are some of  the 'facts' on Forte as we knew when he got into high school his age would be discussed and exaggerated.   His birthday is Dec. 29th.  He's 2 days away from being a USA Cadet this year as a freshman.  He will turn 20 roughly 315 days after the high school state tourney as a senior.

Tommy was "redshirted" only once.  He repeated 2nd grade.  I'm pretty sure that's different situation than most of the ones talked about here.  

I made the comment based on what I was told, which is very often a mistake. I was unaware of these facts and retract my statement about Tommys age. Being held back in second grade is a very different story. But 315 days is shortly after, isn't it??  ;D

I personally couldnt  give a Rat's a$$ what everybody else does with their child. We knew going into my sons first year at high school, IF he is at varsity, there will be times when age wise, he will be wrestling someone that could be a Freshman in college. At 14 years old, If he isnt Varsity, which could end up being OUR decision, we are going to work our hardest to be a very good Freshman or JV wrestler. My thought is, there have been some awful good State Placers that did not wrestle  Varsity their Freshman year. So I guess I dont really have an opinion.... ;D  Good luck to all the 9th graders, no matter how old you are.

That two year difference does make a huge differnce, thats why I always tried to move my son up in age group at ISWA tour. That is a reason I think ISWA SHOULD ALLOW THE YOUNGER KIDS TO BUMP UP IN AGE GROUP.excpecially when you have a 14 yr fresh 189 or whatever wrestling a 19 yr. old. The maturity and body has not matured all the way yet, I believe that has alot to do with why Sliga hasnt won in HS yet he is a true Junior probably 16 tahts huge the same with Willis he just turned 17 if they were 19 they wouldnt get scored on.

My wife's sister's friend's second cousin Cletus never finished school beyond the 8th Grade.  He will be enrolling as a freshman at Hickentucky High School next season.  He is now 34 years old and would like to wrestle.  Will he need to shave his full beard (picture Dan Haggarty), and is he allowed to have a back pocket sewn into his singlet to hold his chained billfold between matches?

Is the rule set forth by the IHSAA that an athlete can not participate if he or she turns 20 during the season or school year in question?

I don't think it matters in the case of Forte or even Cody Phillips(who has had his age questioned also).  Both have December birthdays in which they will turn 19 their senior year.  The rule in question states that the athlete cannot turn 20 by the state finals of that particular sport.  So a kid can conceivably have a March 1st birthday and be able to wrestle his senior year, but not play basketball.

4-1 Maximum Age of Student Athletes

A student who is or shall be twenty (20) years of age prior to or on the scheduled date of the IHSAA state finals in a sport shall be ineligible for interschool athletic competition in that sport; a student who is nineteen (19) years of age on the scheduled date of the IHSAA state finals in a sport shall be eligible as to age for interschool athletic competition in that sport.

After reading through the posts, I got the impression that Tommy Forte repeated the 8th grade.  He is part of our program, but I went ahead and doubled checked it.  He repeated the 2nd grade NOT 8th grade.  (Insert sacrastic face here).  

Here is my prediction for this season: great wrestlers will get criticized on this message board during the season by people that don't sign their names.  If Tommy or another stud, beats someone by 15 they will be called "cocky" and "show offs".  If they win by 1 point, its because they "are not training proplerly", "stalling" or "out of shape".  I love this message board, but I hate when it appears teenageers are being attacked.  Josh Harper used to get blasted.  If I would have just read people's commments, I would have thought he won 3 matches in his high school career.  I checked our record board, though, and he was a 3X State Champion. (Insert a funny face here.)

Snyder

Nice legality, maybe I should of looked into that. NOT they must not believe there kids can be successful on the next level to do that not, I believe in my kids capability and thats what it is if there holding them back for wrestling purposes.

Well to be ahead of the curve all three of my children will start K a year late since they have summer birthdays.  My oldest is in 1st grade and my twins are 4 in preschool.  So when they get to high school if they are wrestling you will know I didn't hold them back as 8th graders.

And the reason I made this decision is because I graduated at 17.  Hated being younger than everyone and honestly I don't think I was emotionally ready for high school....(Insert Jokes here)

Whatever your opinion is personally on holding kids back in the 8th grade -- it is a family decision.  When it comes to parenting, you can ask 100 sets of parents their opinion on how they would handle a situation and likely get close to 100 different answers.

Wrestling-wise, the only year where it would make a difference is their senior year.  Otherwise, they may be a year ahead of their peers in the same grade, but they will still be competing in the 14-18 year old range.

In the case of the Lowell boys, the father has stated that they will be 18 years old when they graduate (as the majority of HS seniors throughout the US) will be.  So my opinion is let it go, people.  Maybe you couldn't imagine holding your 8th grader back a year for any reason -- they can and have decided to do so.  This may work out positively for wrestling and negatively for social/personal reasons.  Or, it may be a positive for social/personal/maturity reasons, and work out negatively for wrestling.  Who knows!?

<removed opinion re: middle school state>

i thought this was about the top incoming freshmen?......to everyone who has the gall to talk crap about high school kids that they don't even know.....maybe you should voice your opinion in person to the kid and his dad......bet that won't happen!.....to many know it alls who speak behind the safety of a computer without knowing the facts......and even if you do, keep it to yourself when it comes to the kids......let them enjoy their high school days without feeling bad about themselves cause some no name wants to shoot off his mouth......seriously people, grow up!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.