Who are some of the top incoming freshmen and what weight?

BlackshirtD

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.) Bailey LaHue 120/126

2.) Brandon James 113/120

3.) Evan Smiley 120/126

4.) Tommy Forte 132/138

5.) Conner James 138/145

6.) Robert Steveson II 170/182

7.) Joey Mammolenti 120/126

8.) Tommy Cash 106/113

9.) Garret Wilson 132/138

Not so quick my friend you forgot lil Harvey @ 113lbs, and look for Smiley @ 120lbs and not 126lbs, and although you would know better than I but I'm guessing Bradon James will also be at 113lbs. At one point I would have said Tommy Cash @ 106lbs, but I hear his natural growth may have him up to 113lbs (although I believe the plan is for him to be @106lbs)....

Big Hawaiian:  you are absolutely right, I forgot Ben Harvey. He will have a great year and one of the top 113lbers. If Smiley can make 120 I'd say big year, if he can't and has to go 126, still good year but more difficult. Of course, we'll have to wait and see where the big three go (Todd, Phillips and Campbell).   

Big Hawaiian:  you are absolutely right, I forgot Ben Harvey. He will have a great year and one of the top 113lbers. If Smiley can make 120 I'd say big year, if he can't and has to go 126, still good year but more difficult. Of course, we'll have to wait and see where the big three go (Todd, Phillips and Campbell).   

I think he wrestled at the super 32 this weekend at 120lbs....

If your going to include Harvey at 113# then you have to include Darden Shurg too. Shurg handled Harvey pretty well last year in the final at middle school state. The final was only 3-0 but watching the match it really wasn't that close.

Shurg is very tough and will do very well this year, however, I think Ben Harvey would win if they happen to meet this year. I also thought that Shurg was a Crown Point kid, if that is the case, he would have to beat out Fuqua for the 113 spot. 

Shurg is very tough and will do very well this year, however, I think Ben Harvey would win if they happen to meet this year. I also thought that Shurg was a Crown Point kid, if that is the case, he would have to beat out Fuqua for the 113 spot.   

I have to admit I'm a bit biased, having had the opportunity to watch Dari roll on a daily basis with the likes of Petrov, Micic, Fuqua and Buckley at RWA. I think you right on though, he may have to go #120 to start on that CP squad with Fuqua at 113#. Shurg was never close to giving up a point to Harvey in the first meeting though. So I'm not sure what you base your opinion on.

1.) Bailey LaHue 120/126

2.) Brandon James 113/120

3.) Evan Smiley 120/126

4.) Tommy Forte 132/138

5.) Conner James 138/145

6.) Robert Steveson II 170/182

7.) Joey Mammolenti 120/126

8.) Tommy Cash 106/113

9.) Garret Wilson 132/138

I think Forte maybe the best of this bunch and is very mature for a freshman, and beat some very good people over the spring last I saw...Just My Opinion...

I think Forte maybe the best of this bunch and is very mature for a freshman, and beat some very good people over the spring last I saw...Just My Opinion...

I couldn't agree more. Forte will make a huge impact this year. As far as his maturity for a Freshman... holding back will have that effect  ::)

Mike,

The bottom line is, held back or not, there isn't an asterisk next to the names of the state champs who are older/younger in their grades in the IHSAA record books. If there was, you wouldn't believe how many asterisks there would be. People can make excuses all they want, it comes down to who wins the match. No one is going to care about whether the kid was held back or not except for the whiners.

Don't make excuses, just beat'em. If you lose, don't whine about it, just go back to work and beat'em next time. Do you really think J Robinson and the University of Minnesota cared if Cody Phillips was held back at some point? Did you really think John Smith and Oklahoma State cared if Jon Morrison was held back before H.S.? 

Saying Forte is "Mature" for his age is accurate but in the end, you still have to beat him. No one is going to come and save you from having to wrestle him!

MCKAJC, I base my opinion on the fact that the match your referring to was 9 months ago and it was one match. I believe Harvey has improved quite a bit as i'm sure Shurg has as well. This is all for not, due to them not even wrestling in the same weight class. 

Mike,

The bottom line is, held back or not, there isn't an asterisk next to the names of the state champs who are older/younger in their grades in the IHSAA record books. If there was, you wouldn't believe how many asterisks there would be. People can make excuses all they want, it comes down to who wins the match. No one is going to care about whether the kid was held back or not except for the whiners.

Don't make excuses, just beat'em. If you lose, don't whine about it, just go back to work and beat'em next time. Do you really think J Robinson and the University of Minnesota cared if Cody Phillips was held back at some point? Did you really think John Smith and Oklahoma State cared if Jon Morrison was held back before H.S.? 

Saying Forte is "Mature" for his age is accurate but in the end, you still have to beat him. No one is going to come and save you from having to wrestle him!

College coaches DO care about that stuff because it means from the beginning those kids were beating up on kids two years younger than them.  That is why as they get older they tend to struggle as kids start closing the gap in maturity. 

Holding a kid back soley for athletic purposes, especially in a sport like wrestling where there is no professional league is ridiculous.  First off you are wasting tax dollars on holding a kid back that does not need to be held back.  Secondly, winning one more state title or having another state placement on a kid's resume will NOT get him a job when he is 30.   

Wrestling is a sport that teaches you how to work for your goals and how to overcome adversity, which are great life lessons for a kid to learn at such a young age.  I know this sport taught me a lot about life and I would not be where I am today without it.  When you purposely finagle and bend the rules to give your kids an advantage then you are not teaching them these lessons.  You are teaching them that to always try to find that way to skirt the rules and find that backdoor entrance.

I honestly cannot fathom how to bring up to my kid that he needs to be held back in 8th grade because he isn't a good enough wrestler.  I cannot fathom telling my (hopefully future) son "hey bud, you're one heck of a wrestler, but you aren't good enough to wrestle against high school kids this year, lets keep you in 8th grade again."  Maybe that is just me, but I just cannot see my self saying that to my son or even one of my wrestlers.

It has always been my understanding that wrestling was an extracurricular sport not the reason people went to school.  School was about education, not a sport development program.

Don't worry, there will be some guys set you straight on that post shortly.

I agree Y2, my son was a 14yr old fresh at 189 and still was a ss qual. with over 30wins. I would of loved to give him another year, but is that right I think not. He was 13 and a schoolboy wrestling at disney against the top kids in the nation, should of probably waited a year. just my opinion.

College coaches DO care about that stuff because it means from the beginning those kids were beating up on kids two years younger than them.  That is why as they get older they tend to struggle as kids start closing the gap in maturity. 

Holding a kid back soley for athletic purposes, especially in a sport like wrestling where there is no professional league is ridiculous.  First off you are wasting tax dollars on holding a kid back that does not need to be held back.  Secondly, winning one more state title or having another state placement on a kid's resume will NOT get him a job when he is 30.   

Wrestling is a sport that teaches you how to work for your goals and how to overcome adversity, which are great life lessons for a kid to learn at such a young age.  I know this sport taught me a lot about life and I would not be where I am today without it.  When you purposely finagle and bend the rules to give your kids an advantage then you are not teaching them these lessons.  You are teaching them that to always try to find that way to skirt the rules and find that backdoor entrance.

I honestly cannot fathom how to bring up to my kid that he needs to be held back in 8th grade because he isn't a good enough wrestler.  I cannot fathom telling my (hopefully future) son "hey bud, you're one heck of a wrestler, but you aren't good enough to wrestle against high school kids this year, lets keep you in 8th grade again."  Maybe that is just me, but I just cannot see my self saying that to my son or even one of my wrestlers.

Bravo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.