Super 32

base

Super 32 Challenge

October 29-30

Greensboro, North Carolina

This tournament is still a ways off, but the registration is filling up and the brackets for this thing are LOADED!  They have a cutoff of the first 1425 entries (they can add an additional 75).

Several Indiana entrants so far in the High School Division (there is also a Middle School division limited to 400 wrestlers but that's not open for registration until 9/25).  Note that these wrestlers all have until 10/23 to change their weight class from what they originally declared.

Indiana's Lineup:

Wt. First Name Last Name Qual Regional Place State Place Grade HS State Prev S32

Hs 106 NATE BOSTON 1 2011-103-1 10 Lawrence North IN

Hs 106 HAYDEN LEE qualifier NP 10 Garrett IN

Hs 106 NICK LEE qualifier NP 0 Mater Dei IN

Hs 106 ADAM OYLER NP 9 Lawrenceburg IN

Hs 113 JARRED BROOKS NP 2011-112-2 12 Warsaw Community IN

Hs 113 SCHUYLER PHILLIPS qualifier 1 11 Yorktown IN

Hs 113 ALONZO SHEPHERD qualifier NP 2011-112-8 12 Jeffersonville High School IN

Hs 120 PAUL PETROV 1 2011-112-4 12 Hanover Central IN

Hs 120 EVAN SMILEY NP 9 Cathedral IN

Hs 126 CODY PHILLIPS 1 2011-112-3 12 Union County IN

Hs 132 JOSHUA FARRELL 1 2010-103-6 11 Greenfield Central IN

Hs 132 TOMMY FORTE NP 9 mishawaka IN

Hs 132 CAMERON HALSTED 2 12 Crown Point IN

Hs 132 DEVON JACKSON 1 2011-135-2 12 Yorktown High School IN

Hs 132 ANTHONY MCHUGH qualifier 3 11 Culver Military Academy IN

Hs 132 NEAL MOLLOY 1 2011-130-1 0 John Molloy IN

Hs 138 LOGAN HUNT NP 10 new palestine high-school IN

Hs 138 JOE KELLY NP 12 Chesterton IN

Hs 138 JASON TSIRTSIS NP 2011-140-1 12 Crown Point HS IN 2010-140-2

Hs 145 ISAIAH BRADLEY NP 2010-135-5 11 Muncie Southsie H.S. IN

Hs 145 BLAKE RUEGER 1 2011-140-5 12 F.J. Reitz High School IN

Hs 152 JESSE GOODNIGHT qualifier NP 12 Kokomo IN

Hs 152 BRIAN HARVEY NP 2011-130-5 12 Cathedral IN

Hs 152 LUKE KRIECH NP 11 Franklin Community HS IN

Hs 160 AUSTIN NEIBARGER qualifier NP 11 Hamilton Southeastern IN

Hs 170 DAMON ALBERTSON NP 12 Roncalli IN

Hs 182 DOMINIC FIMBIANTI qualifier NP 12 Munster High School IN

Hs 182 TOBY KIRTS qualifier NP 12 Brown County High IN

Hs 182 LUKE SCHAEFFER qualifier 2 12 Westfield IN

Hs 195 MITCH SLIGA 1 2011-189-3 11 Fishers HS IN

Wow, Brian Harvey jumped all the way from 130 to 152? or will he probably be dropping for the actual season?

I think some kids have just figured out, that you wrestle well when you feel well. So many kids I've watched durning the year to the point that making weight was tougher than their matches. Example remenber Kevin Clem PM, I think wrestled 135lbs for I believe 2 yrs soph & junior, and I know making weight was always tough. So his senior year he goes his basic walk around weight 152lbs or 160lbs, and gets to the State Finals only to loose in overtime to Kinser, and that's just one off the top of my head. I think if Tyler Willis had it to do over last year he would have stayed at 171lbs instead of cutting to 160lbs, I know physically he just looked better on and off the mat at 171lbs.

I think some kids have just figured out, that you wrestle well when you feel well. So many kids I've watched durning the year to the point that making weight was tougher than their matches. Example remenber Kevin Clem PM, I think wrestled 135lbs for I believe 2 yrs soph & junior, and I know making weight was always tough. So his senior year he goes his basic walk around weight 152lbs or 160lbs, and gets to the State Finals only to loose in overtime to Kinser, and that's just one off the top of my head. I think if Tyler Willis had it to do over last year he would have stayed at 171lbs instead of cutting to 160lbs, I know physically he just looked better on and off the mat at 171lbs.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Look at Trey Reese, he never cut all year and pinned his way through the state bracket.

Sounds like it could be the largest at least.  

Although wrestlers may move around weight classes yet before the tournament -- right now, in the 126 lb weight class, they have registered wrestlers with national rankings of:

RANK-WT  NAME  STATE

12 - 120 GARY WAYNE HARDING OK

1 - 126 JOEY DANCE VA

2 - 126 ROSSI BRUNO FL

4 - 126 NATHAN KRAISSER MD

6 - 126 ANTHONY ASHNAULT NJ

7 - 126 ZAIN RETHERFORD PA

9 - 126 DEAN HEIL OH

10 - 126 COREY KEENER PA

12 - 126 RANDY CRUZ PA

16 - 132 CHRIS CATON NC

20 - 132 GARRISON WHITE NC

14 - 138 SHAWN SPEARMAN PA

That is one STUD weightclass!  Not sure how in the world someone ranked @ 138 is going to make 126 lbs but who knows?  At any rate, this is a great chance for Cody to show everyone what a stud he is.  After a couple of tough losses last year at semistate and state, I feel like he's kind of dropped under the radar.  I think he has a great chance to upset some of these highly ranked kids and vault back into the national rankings himself.

At any rate, this is a great chance for Cody to show everyone what a stud he is.  After a couple of tough losses last year at semistate and state, I feel like he's kind of dropped under the radar.  I think he has a great chance to upset some of these highly ranked kids and vault back into the national rankings himself.

Agreed.  A solid preformence there against some top guys, even if he doesn' make the finals, could really help rise his stock again.

People crack me up you say things about falling under the radar after a couple of tough losses.  I for one would not want to wrestle someone like Phillips or Campbell if I was a highly ranked wrestler.  Either of those 2 could destroy anyone at any time anywhere!

I don't believe the Kinser - Klem match went to OT.

People crack me up you say things about falling under the radar after a couple of tough losses.  I for one would not want to wrestle someone like Phillips or Campbell if I was a highly ranked wrestler.  Either of those 2 could destroy anyone at any time anywhere!

Soup while he's still a major name in Indiana, Phillips has been absent from the National Ranking over the last year.  Which to me signifies he's dropped from the national radar.   This drop is no doubt due to his lack of national events over his junior year combined with his loses in state.  Sure he's still a threat for some of the top guys and many of them or there coaches know to not take him lightly.  However, he isn't getting the national recognition he got after finishing 2nd in the FloNationals. After his Sophomore year.  Hopefully beating some of the top guys on the way to a solid placement at Super 32 will fix this and get him back into the national spotlight. It would be great to see him and a few other top Indiana guys get some respect from the national rankings guys during their Senior campaigns.  With Indiana's travel restrictions about the only way to accomplish this is performing well at events like the Super 32.

People crack me up you say things about falling under the radar after a couple of tough losses.  I for one would not want to wrestle someone like Phillips or Campbell if I was a highly ranked wrestler.  Either of those 2 could destroy anyone at any time anywhere!

Believe me, I am not slighting him!  I think Phillips is an incredible wrestler, my comment was referring to the fact thatnif you look at the super32 bracket and are not familiar with him, you might look at the nationally ranked guys and "overlook" him.  I think some opponents may be in for a surprise when they are matched with him.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.