Sources indicate we may have big recruiting decisions announced in next 2 weeks

Butt Drag

He technically doesn't have to enroll there until mid January.

They are full and will not be accepting any more transfers this year....  So I have been told...  So for someone to go to yorktown, they will have to move in the district...

• 1 month later...

Has this decision been announced, it's been over two weeks?

Any word on the possible indiana recruit Coach Davis said he was trying to finalize for Wisconsin if that was a different announcement?

My guess is this great Senior Class will have some good options, but as deep as it is. Money will be tight at a lot of programs

both in-state, and others.  Not surprised if some 3 or 4x placers walk-on or get limited money.

Confirmed - Ayersman to Purdue:  http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/highschools/7641382-419/lc-senior-ayersman-picks-purdue.html  I project him 133 / 141 long Term

ALL PURE 100% SPECULATION AND GUESSES AND PREDICTIONS out of my ASS:

Predication #1 - Jason Tsirtsis - My Guess - Northwestern - Dark Horse: Michigan

> Minnesota - (20%) - Recruiting him hard - some good guys around him in the room

> Wisconsin - (20%) - Wisconsin recruited well, but got to wonder about loss of assistant coaches

> Northwestern - (30%) - If he is as smart as I hear, this would be a no brainer - take the education kid

> Michigan - (20%) - Perhaps the gain of Bormet and Pritzloff could raise the stock - good education

> Iowa - (5%) - Never rule out but the 500lb Gorilla in room all want to ask - "Was your brother's Iowa experience worth it"

> Cornell, or other Top Education Program like Harvard - (5%) - Again, kid, take the 55k per year school.

> IU or Purdue - 0% - zero loyalty to state

Prediction #2 - Cody Phillips - Purdue or Minnesota

> Purdue - would be a great fit long term at 125

> Minnesota - despite deep room on paper, they are still looking at 125 - may come down to money available

> OSU - limited money I hear

> IU - money available?

Prediction #3 & #4 - Paul Petrov or Brooks - Fun to watch these two as well. Could get some good recruiting interest in their own right. Issue may be tight money available in-state.

> Petrov - Could end up at Purdue; would not be surprise to also see him at an academic powerhouse as well.

> Brooks - my guess - follows brother to IU?  I think he could be a monster at a place like CMU, Michigan State

Prediction #5 - Mason Todd - have no idea - Money availability may be issue

>  Purdue (30%)

> IU (30%)

> MSU (20%)

> Other - OSU (20%)

Mullins, Harvey, etc.

> I could see Harvey at Purdue - kid always looks like he is getting bigger

> Mullins - Could fill a few weights at next level.

I think you could see some real good wrestlers become impacted by academic acceptance or grades, and end up

JUCO or NAIA for a year or two.

Class of 2013 - I think the top 2 recruits will be Mitch Silga & Neal Molloy - I predict one ends up in state

Plus Howe will be back in the room next year as well. 

Is Howe going to be back in the room much or spend most of his Olympic Redshirt at the OTC and other places?  Unless he is taking classes on campus at Wisconsin he not need to be in their room much.  Haven't heard from anyone "in the know" about it though, so just wondering?

Is Howe going to be back in the room much or spend most of his Olympic Redshirt at the OTC and other places?  Unless he is taking classes on campus at Wisconsin he not need to be in their room much.  Haven't heard from anyone "in the know" about it though, so just wondering?

He may have meant "next" year (12-13), not "this" year (11-12).  But Howe being there in 12-13 is obviously not a guarantee either.

Indiana has some really strong lighterweight wrestlers graduating this year.  Ayersman has already committed to Purdue, and you list Phillips, Petrov and Todd (all about the same size) as possible Boilermaker recruits.

Out of those 3, which one would you go after and why (given that Ayresman will already be on the team and likely competing at one of the same weight classes, and also Quiroga/Eppert each have a couple more years at the lower weights)

Indiana has some really strong lighterweight wrestlers graduating this year.  Ayersman has already committed to Purdue, and you list Phillips, Petrov and Todd (all about the same size) as possible Boilermaker recruits.

Out of those 3, which one would you go after and why (given that Ayresman will already be on the team and likely competing at one of the same weight classes, and also Quiroga/Eppert each have a couple more years at the lower weights)

When programs have 9 scholarships to get 10 weights and at least 2 guys per weight in the room, that is the musical chairs of college recruiting.  In the last 5 years, grades are becoming more important because alternative

funds for things like scholastic scholarships, can take pressure off of money that can be given elsewhere, but at the same time, teams are not as likely to take fliers on guys with grade issues (if they can even get them into school).  

And that is what has been amazing about this class; some strong guys from 145 down, but especially in the 112 119, 125 classes.

The quality of depth can impact size of scholarship offers among them, as these guys are so competitive against each other, that they may be considered fungible on the market - getting any of them would be great to any in-state and out-of state college programs,  In years past, the distance between the top guys and the next one or two was pretty wide, so it was clear where the offers and money were going.  

But the reality is that  if it is not another Indiana kid going to the same school, it will be some kid from Ohio, Illinois, PA, etc.

that is just as tough, so I would think these guys are are smart enough to understand that.  I don't think it scared Eppert or Quiroga

(This is the luxury that programs like Iowa, PSU, OSU have had over the years in their room).

College wrestling (and college in general) is about survival and growth, so a lot can happen in 4 years.

But, to answer your question, I would take all and any one of them:)  

My criteria is:

> Body Size and growth expected - this is more of an issue at 125 lb more than any other class.

> Grades, Common Sense, Character

> Translation of style into college style (Offense, Feet defense, ability to ride, ability to score points on top)  Dominance in

any one or two areas is  a plus.

> Hunger for college - is he burnt out?  I have seen plenty of incredible high-school studs fold in the first year of college.

> Tank - Does he have a good gas tank, and good conditioning? College is a 7 minute match.

> Is he still improving and is he a student of wrestling?

> Is he a good wrestler, good athlete, or both?

> Does he make those around him better?

> Mental toughness - does he GOT IT? - does he brush off and regroup, does he thrive in the pressure

> Upside - Can a coach or program add to his game, and does his athletic talent allow growth in improving

In the case of those three you ask about, Phillips, Petrov and Todd (and Brooks), I would say they each fill most of my criteria and

all have good character.

Phillips - I still think he was improving, but so were they guys around him.  Not sure how big he will get, but he could be a

4-yr 125lb guy without having to cut much weight, which is good.  Reminds me of Coach Hinkle, and a little

bit of early Brands.   Most technically polished at this point.  

Petrov -  I don't think he is done growing. Good athlete, has physical maturing upside IMO. His best wrestling could be ahead of him.

Todd -   He has improved the most obviously, and has beat both of the other two.  Good all around, pretty good rider. Clutch. Still

improving, and appears to me to be still growing.

Brooks - Tough as a pit-bull.  His biggest improvement has been in maturity.  Tough style for many opponents when he can stay

inside control or overhook.  Seems to have passion for the sport.  Likely a 4 year guy at 125lb.

I am so tired of seeing folks post 'the shake-up' with assistant coaches at Wisconsin. If you have much knowledge of collegiate wrestling you would be aware this happens on a near yearly basis at just about every school. So, Wisconsin changing assistants bears no influence what-so-ever on any recruiting.

A team switching directions and obtaining a well known Assistant Coach who specializes in a specific weight range does have some influence on recruiting. Sure assistance move every year but only some head assistance are considered among the high profile ones which can energize recruiting.  So, you add two heavy hitters in the coaching world  like Michigan got and I'm sure more recruits will be considering Ann Arbor as a possibility.  To lose a top notch assistant coach who specializes in your weight range for a less proven one may also cause a recruit start compare other  similar colleges.  It's not the whole factor in a recruits decision but definitely a nice piece of it.      

A team switching directions and obtaining a well known Assistant Coach who specializes in a specific weight range does have some influence on recruiting. Sure assistance move every year but only some head assistance are considered among the high profile ones which can energize recruiting.  So, you add two heavy hitters in the coaching world  like Michigan got and I'm sure more recruits will be considering Ann Arbor as a possibility.  To lose a top notch assistant coach who specializes in your weight range for a less proven one may also cause a recruit start compare other  similar colleges.  It's not the whole factor in a recruits decision but definitely a nice piece of it.      

Agree MattM, spot on.  No offense wildcatcountry97, but you are out of your mind on this one  :P :P  For many, especially the elite of elite, the Head coach, assistant coach, or whomever will be the main technician or work-out partner is huge.

1.  Pratzlaff - his coaching work at Overtime School of Wrestling was huge in Howe developing a relationship with Pratzlaff, and why

he ended up at Wisconsin.  Outside of the 1,500 Iowa 'Volunteer Coaches' every year, it is tough to beat an assistant staff like that.

2.  Michigan adds Bormet, arguably one of the best young coaching / development experiences you can have with where he took

Overtime.  Then you also pick-up Pratzlaff who was also Wisconsin's recruiting coordinator for years, 2x NCAA champ who

did great job with Howe and a few other guys there.  Let's see:

Michigan -  Bormet and Pratzlaff      vs.  Wisconsin - Ryan Morningstar & Kyle Ruschell

Morningstar and Ruschell are no slouches, but in experience, talent development, coaching, recruiting, it is not even close.

Seems if Tsirtsis does wrestle 138 at Super 32 that is most likely the weight he will wrestle this year? I wonder if he plans on going 133 in college?  Oklahoma state would be a nice fit.  One year in the room with Oliver would be a good experience for his redshirt year.  I don't know is Tsirtsis too big for 133?  I would have never thought Angel would have been a 125 his whole career. 

Seems if Tsirtsis does wrestle 138 at Super 32 that is most likely the weight he will wrestle this year? I wonder if he plans on going 133 in college?  Oklahoma state would be a nice fit.  One year in the room with Oliver would be a good experience for his redshirt year.  I don't know is Tsirtsis too big for 133?  I would have never thought Angel would have been a 125 his whole career. 

Love the fit with John Smith. Would be fun to wrestle under that legend.

As for the Assistant Coaches, I think it makes a huge deal for incoming recruits but still don't think it will affect Howe. I believe he will be back in the lineup next season along with super recruit McCauley.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.