Coaches...Seriously?

wildcatcountry97

Coaches...Seriously?

At the Semi-State I attended I counted 3 coaches that were wearing JEANS, one a baseball cap, while coaching from the corner. I was stunned. This shows a total lack of class, and respect, for the sport, the athletes, and their families.

There are certain times when you need to dress up. You wouldn?t wear jeans and a cap to a Job interview, wedding or a funeral, just several examples,  so throw on some slacks, comb your hair, and quit making this sport look like a bunch of hooligan hillbillies.

I thought about naming the schools to put some pressure on them in the future to not do this, but decided to hold back.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JEANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOMEONE ALERT BOBBY COX RIGHT NOW! HAVE THEM BARRED FROM THE STATE FINALS!!!!!!!!! SUCH A LACK OF PANTS SAVY SHOULD ELIMINATE THEM AND ANY OF THEIR WRESTLERS!!!!!!!........Oh wait, it's not that big of a deal.

Coaches...Seriously?

At the Semi-State I attended I counted 3 coaches that were wearing JEANS, one a baseball cap, while coaching from the corner. I was stunned. This shows a total lack of class, and respect, for the sport, the athletes, and their families.

There are certain times when you need to dress up. You wouldn?t wear jeans and a cap to a Job interview, wedding or a funeral, just several examples,  so throw on some slacks, comb your hair, and quit making this sport look like a bunch of hooligan hillbillies.

I thought about naming the schools to put some pressure on them in the future to not do this, but decided to hold back.

Oh no the jeans police will be out in force again!!!!

We did have this discussion. Apparently no one listened.

I know everyone on here posting is just far too cool to wear slacks. Let?s all just wear shorts and ball caps and then whine about how we don?t get respect. You look like classless fools. Again I would ask you to leave your farms for a day and visit an office building. Look in there and see if you see anyone wearing jeans. 

Now, why would this be?? Are all businesses ?Jean Nazi?s?? as you posit. 

(And one side note: I come at this from a genuine position, not trying to stir the pot. I am not mad, simply making a small request for the future. My family comes from a strong Jewish heritage, and using the term ?Nazi,? of which is so evil, and diminishing the meaning of such to refer to something not nearly as serious is offensive to many.)

JEANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOMEONE ALERT BOBBY COX RIGHT NOW! HAVE THEM BARRED FROM THE STATE FINALS!!!!!!!!! SUCH A LACK OF PANTS SAVY SHOULD ELIMINATE THEM AND ANY OF THEIR WRESTLERS!!!!!!!........Oh wait, it's not that big of a deal.

No, not a big deal. Thankfully, our sport is so well respected across the state by everyone else that we don't need to worry about foolish some of us look.

(And one side note: I come at this from a genuine position, not trying to stir the pot. I am not mad, simply making a small request for the future. My family comes from a strong Jewish heritage, and using the term ?Nazi,? of which is so evil, and diminishing the meaning of such to refer to something not nearly as serious is offensive to many.)

Could you come talk to my classroom sometime? I have been preaching this point to my kids for forever, and they don't have the slightest clue what I am talking about. Between that and using gay as the word for stupid, sometimes I wonder ........

I would think an adult would wear casual business clothes and be comfortable all day. The jeans would not really bother me that much, but it would tell me a lot about the coach. I will just say this:

THANK GOD THE PROTOCOL FOR WRESTLING IS NOT LIKE BASEBALL.

I would think an adult would wear casual business clothes and be comfortable all day. The jeans would not really bother me that much, but it would tell me a lot about the coach. I will just say this:

THANK GOD THE PROTOCOL FOR WRESTLING IS NOT LIKE BASEBALL.

Amen, brother!....big wahoo for that.  Actually, it is the same as every other wahoo.

We did have this discussion. Apparently no one listened.

I know everyone on here posting is just far too cool to wear slacks. Let?s all just wear shorts and ball caps and then whine about how we don?t get respect. You look like classless fools. Again I would ask you to leave your farms for a day and visit an office building. Look in there and see if you see anyone wearing jeans. 

Now, why would this be?? Are all businesses ?Jean Nazi?s?? as you posit. 

I will respond from experience Wildcat.  I was on business in Seattle & met a friend of mine at a very swank hotel.  My friend is a hedge fund manager that deals with very high profile investers.  He told me a story that the day before a late 20's kid rolled in with shorts, flip flops, a backpack, & Ipod rocking.  Threw his keys to his Ferrari to the valet & went in.  The thought was "who is this guy".  That guy happened to be the person managing the $2billion they were trying to get them to invest with them & yes that is how he showed up to the meeting.  Get over the dress issue.  I personally manage the midwest for my company, and see everyone from CEOs to Engineers< and I dress accordingly...sometimes in jeans.  I hardly think sitting in a sweaty, humid, uncomfortable gym constitutes anything less than what you find comfy.  I deal with just as many idiots in suits as I do jeans. ;)

totally classless they should of had there coaching passes revoked and bared from any tournament for 3 years....i'm more concerned about watching a young man fighting from his back in his match and watching BOTH COACHES sit back in there seats, hands on top of there heads..not even yelling. there wrestler was in the lead prior to being put on his back...however they did have nice slacks on, so they should get some mercy...

I have been a coach and official for many years. A very knowledgeable coach once told me. I did not notice you today, which means you did a good job. I still attend many matches a year and usually could not tell you what the coaches were wearing. I might tell you the ones that complain constatly, the facilities that are fan friendly, the wrestlers that compete hard and clean, and maybe the coach that will not shake hands after the meet. A good coach is probably not noticed that much. I much prefer jeans if I'm getting on a work out mat to explain between rounds.

PS  The NE football fans don't seem to mind!

Hardcore fans do not notice because they come for the wrestling.  Casual fans and administrators do notice however.  When the people that make the most important decisions in this sport see that coaches dress poorly they will assume we do not take the sport seriously.  You may be the best person in the world and donate all your free time to charity, but when someone that does not know you sees you coaching in sweats or jeans they will judge you based off that.  You never get a chance to have a second first impression, so make sure it is good.

I always wear nice slacks, dress shoes and a school polo. I don't think the coaches dress issue is that big a part of the problem, but it certainly adds to the overall negative perception that those unfamiliar with the sport may have. Couple the jeans issue with some of our jacka$$ fans screaming at kids, running out on the mats, cussing at officials, leaving their trash everywhere, their crazy kids plugging all the toilets and sinks with paper towels etc... and I see how folks could dismiss us and our sports as a bunch of jacks. I wish AD's were more interested in the image being presented by their coaches, and less interested in what percentages of secondary and accent school colors were being used on the uniforms.

This is a nice idea from a fans perspective but lets not forget that these coaches are working with sweaty/dirty wrestlers. To expect these coaches, who make next to nothing to begin with, to ruin a good suit, sports coat, or slacks shows a lack of understanding of what wrestling coaches do. 

this is really a somewhat moot point......it's not what ya wear but why you're there.....to a degree of course......i suppose if you wear jeans with holes in them, grease stained and a wrinkled white tee shirt that would be tacky.....but i've seen nice jeans worn alot with a school shirt and tennis shoes.....i personally feel that is just fine.....and on the flip side i've seen slacks and a button down shirt with tie.....and that's cool too......everyone has a different way to dress......in todays casual society, "casual" is jeans and a some type of pullover shirt......think back 60 years and more ago....men wore suits to everything that was out in public.....most even got dressed up for dinner.....my my how times have changed.....as far as this causing our sport to look bad, i disagree.....it's peoples attitudes and lack of maturity that make us sometimes look bad.....

I have been a coach and official for many years. A very knowledgeable coach once told me. I did not notice you today, which means you did a good job. I still attend many matches a year and usually could not tell you what the coaches were wearing. I might tell you the ones that complain constatly, the facilities that are fan friendly, the wrestlers that compete hard and clean, and maybe the coach that will not shake hands after the meet. A good coach is probably not noticed that much. I much prefer jeans if I'm getting on a work out mat to explain between rounds.

PS  The NE football fans don't seem to mind!

does bill belicheck wear jeans on the sideline?

I always wear nice slacks, dress shoes and a school polo. I don't think the coaches dress issue is that big a part of the problem, but it certainly adds to the overall negative perception that those unfamiliar with the sport may have. Couple the jeans issue with some of our jacka$$ fans screaming at kids, running out on the mats, cussing at officials, leaving their trash everywhere, their crazy kids plugging all the toilets and sinks with paper towels etc... and I see how folks could dismiss us and our sports as a bunch of jacks. I wish AD's were more interested in the image being presented by their coaches, and less interested in what percentages of secondary and accent school colors were being used on the uniforms.

I agree, cussing at officials is not good.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.