how many seats

FSU25

I believe the total number available for the State Wrestling Finals is less than this number, as the entire section down near Mat 4 is pushed in and not available in order to accommodate the 4 mats on the floor. The director of facilities informed me, though, that it was still in the neighborhood of 14,000 during the state finals.

I believe the total number available for the State Wrestling Finals is less than this number, as the entire section down near Mat 4 is pushed in and not available in order to accommodate the 4 mats on the floor. The director of facilities informed me, though, that it was still in the neighborhood of 14,000 during the state finals.

True.  If thats the basketball number you have to take a few away.  Not a huge change in number but it does take some away.  

1.Minus the retractable section and the seat right above them.  

2. Minus the folding chair seat they can put at courtside.  

3. Minus the seat blocked off for poduim pitures.

4. Minus a few seat saved in large school sections that remain empty so certain people have extra room.

5. Minus the suites seats that were not sold or offered to this event by the companies that have them.

But still the question remains why the numbers have taken a good nose dive the last few years.  The smaller numbers (especially on saturday), mean less crowd energy and  dynamics for the wrestling to feed off of.

I expect one reason there are too many super duals on Saturday's on the schedules and not enough basic dual meets... We need to promote the school fan base. There are a very small amount of fans that will follow a team if it means only all day saturday events during the season.  They get burned out real quick. 

We also have to look at the schools that had a down year that normally that bring a large following.  The MD crowd was clearly down in numbers.

We also cant compare our numbers aganst over states that are classed.  The Indiana state tourney draws a good crowd compared to others around the nation.

I expect one reason there are too many super duals on Saturday's on the schedules and not enough basic dual meets... We need to promote the school fan base. There are a very small amount of fans that will follow a team if it means only all day saturday events during the season.  They get burned out real quick. 

I completely agree with this.  When I was in school our weeknight dual meets filled the gym and it was a great atmosphere to wrestle in.  I've been to several weeknight Middle School duals that have a bigger crowd than their High School.  I'd love to take my son to some more of the High School dual meets, but even I get burned out sitting in a gym all day on Saturday and then turn around to sit in a gym all day Sunday at his ISWA tournaments.  It would be great to get some more of the rivalries back in the weeknight dual format, like Perry and Cathedral do.  Grow the fan base, grow the participants, grow the sport.

I don't know, maybe the economy?  I hear that hasn't been doing too well lately...

add the terrible weather that people have to go out into between sessions..... no money and bad weather keep people home!

little of, but I too would like to see more dual meets during the week.

Wisconsin just had their state finals last night they can seat 16,500 in the Kohl Center and it was sold out.  They have 3 classes... over 60,000 fans for the 3 day total.  5 sessions total.  For an average of around 12,000 per session might of been a little higher. 

Wisconsin just had their state finals last night they can seat 16,500 in the Kohl Center and it was sold out.   They have 3 classes... over 60,000 fans for the 3 day total.  5 sessions total.  For an average of around 12,000 per session might of been a little higher. 

if we had 3 classes, there would be like 48 wrestlers for each weight.

if we had 3 classes, there would be like 48 wrestlers for each weight.

I think if they had class individual they would re-arrange the state tournament series.  I'm guessing in an individual class system because of space and time we would see a system where only the top 8 in each class at state rather than the top 16.  I would almost suspect in a 3 or more individual class system they would find a way to do away with one round of the tournament series all together (though that may not help them make money).

Wisconsin has 40 kids per weight class at state.  16 for div 1  12 each for div 2 and 3.  What I noticed was yes there were some 1st round matches that were what we would see in a 1st round semi state match or round to go matches.  The finals and semi's of each div was every bit as good as ours.  In Indiana there are on any given year 4-6 kids could win a weight class.  Wisconsin is no different between the 3 classes they have 4-6 kids if it were 1 class that could win it any given year.  To me that just kinda shows that class doesn't weaken a state.  I personally like the 1 class format for ind.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.