What do you do with a 370lb wrestler?

Guest Super Nova

Guest Super Nova

I am just looking for some practice suggestions and if it will ever be possible for him to wrestle any JV matches.  This is a great kid that just came out and wants to wrestle, but with his size it is hard to keep him from hurting people when he falls on them and such.  Try your best to keep this polite, I am just looking for suggestions..  Thanks alot for your help...

We had a senior that came out that was 350+.  He realized he wasn't going to actually wrestle in matches but still wanted to work out and be part of the team.  Most of the time we had him drill moves with the HWTs and encouraged  him to keep working hard during conditioning.  We pointed out how hard he was working several times as an example to the team of how much they should be pushing themselves.  For those type of kids its more reaffirming to them that they did make a good life choice to get in better shape and the hard work is noticed.  If anything  he will realize he can push himself phyisically more than he originally expected and by going through the same things the fit athletes do he will more self confidence about continueing to lose weight after the season.

As coaches, I think we have a responsibility to our kids to encourage them to be healthy.  The boy needs help and motivation.  Being part of the team may be what he needs to get his weight under control.  Help him set weight goals that are healthy.  Reward him for achieving his short and long term goals.  We have 2 or 3 reserve HWTs that really need to lose 30-50 lbs to be healthy. 

I agree this young man should be practicing and he should also be encouraged by anyone in the wrestling community. However, he is NOT permitted to wrestle in a JV match...this by rule. He still must make 285 regardless of a JV or Varsity event. If you allow/permit this your and your school's liability insurance is worthless.

Sorry.

During the spring of my 10th grade year I was 235. With a very tough work out schedule and STRICT dieting I was at 145 by the start of 11th grade wrestling season.

I would encourage this coach to have this kid work out as hard as possible, give him a healthy diet to follow and have him work with the heavyweights on mostly standing upper body stuff for now.

A bigger man can actually lose a fair amount of weight fairly quickly with the right combination of exercise and diet. He will need lots of encouragement. This could be a life changing event for him.

I wish him the best of luck, I know he can do it.

Get him hooked up with Dr. Jay Piatek MD. He has the Piatek Institute on the West Side of Indianapolis. He is great with kids.  His website is piatekinstitute.com  .  His phone number is 317-243-3000...His e-mail address is www.jaymd.com  .....  He is awesome with everyone and is full of energy.  Hope this helps.

I agree with everything that was said except for the cut him in half comment. But keep in mind that this is a kid still, at the mercy of his parents which is probably why he got this way to begin with it's called enabling.. So all the encouragement from the coaches and teammates will probably be all he gets. Anything else like the clinic trips or a special diet  probably won't help unless a coach is going to be able to get him there and  help him get the right foods.I wish this boy luck and I hope it all works out for him.   

just keep him wrestling with the big hvys get them used to wrestling someone alot bigger so when they go into a match its a better fit because they are used to wrestling 370 now they are wrestling someone 285, also JV is for kids to get mat time so im sure there will be alot of coaches out there that are willing to wrestle one of there big hvy's against them as long as he doesnt hurt them he'll get some mat time and come next year get him on a nice diet and he could be the hvy just never know anymore with how kids cut weight its amazing

But keep in mind that this is a kid still, at the mercy of his parents which is probably why he got this way to begin with it's called enabling..   

If this is the case, and the parents are not supportive and the kid really wants to lose, tell him that as far as diet goes he can make better choices if not ideal ones. They take him to McDonalds for dinner? Get a grilled chicken with no mayo and a salad instead of a big mac and fries. Smaller portions at home...that kind of thing. I wish him and you luck! Sometimes all it takes is someone, anyone to take an interest to turn a kids life around!

Assuming this kid has no underlying medical conditions beyond extreme weight, put the kid on a nutrient dense, limited calorie diet.  No meat, all the green stuff and fruit he can take, no soda, lots of water, a cup of beans every day, oatmeal for breakfast, and a few almonds.  He should never feel hungry as he can eat pound of this stuff.  No cheese, meat, bread, etc.  He won't have to work very hard to lose weight fast.  This is the sort of diet morbidly obese people, which he is, would use to get ready for heart surgery (which is in his future).  The weight will melt off yet he won't be missing any nutrients.  Do this for two weeks solid and start introducing potatoes (not fries, he has probably had his share of those at this point anyway).  Two weeks later, introduce chicken (not fried) and turkey.

I would layoff the milk/protein powder until he got down to 300 lbs.  At that point, his workouts and weight training will be picking up to compensate.  I know there are a lot of freaks that advocate a lot of protein, but his kid won't need it for awhile.  Massive vegetable, fruit, with oatmeal will give him all the protein he needs.  Elephants get big and strong with no meat.  He would be fine without for awhile as well.

When he gets to 285, reward him with a big steak, maybe the old 96er.

You may consider having his parents jailed for child neglect because anyone that allows a kid to get that large is essentially checking out of the parenting game.  I realize they probably aren't rocket scientists but you don't get big because of glandular problems.  You get big because you eat more calories than you burn.

I'm not so sure a lot of coaches are going to send out JV heavy weights to wrestle someone that probably weights eighty-five pounds over the highest weight class.  I would look for some alumni that wrestled heavyweight or 215 to wrestle with the kid in practice.  And by wrestle, i really mean hit arm drags, throw-by's, duck-unders, snap downs, and high-dives until he is at a weight where getting up off the mat is realistic.

• 2 weeks later...

As a practice partner, have your varsity heavywieght work on bottom against him.  If he can get up and defend against a 370 pounder on top of him, he should have no problems with 285 pounder.

As for the weight problem, if he is weighing 370 then he probably doesnt get much excercise so the weight will come off realatively fast without altering his diet just from goin to no excercise to 2 hours of intense wrestling practice will make him drop alot of wieght.  Just goin to practice, working hard, and maybe cutting out something simple like late night snacks or soda will probably get him down to a weight where he could cut to make 285.

I think he could wrestle at weight by the end of the year because big people cut weight alot faster, they sweat more and burn more calories just by walking around.  So even if he can get to around 315 or 320 he could easily cut down to 285 in a few days.

Getting a 375 lber down to 285 lbs. is not a short term project.  Its very unhealthy to drop 30-35 pounds in a few days.  This same situation happened at our school.  A large football player went out for wrestling to get in shape and to lose some weight.  Each person is different and loses weight at differently.  Unfortunately, he quit the team mid-season and we never got a chance to see how much weight he could have lost.  Good luck with your heavyweight and I hope he finishes the season.  It will surely be a life changing experience.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.