Toughest weight class

I'm not as versed in Indiana HS wrestling as many are on this website.  The Atwood family seems to be very involved and beloved by the Indiana wrestling community.  Could someone fill me in as to their history?  The one thing I noticed from posts last year was that many people were almost mad that Duckworth beat Atwood at state and now I see that people, by a wide margin, are picking 189 to be the toughest weight class.  I suppose that has a lot to do with Atwood and Duckworth apparently being in that weight class again.  I mean absolutely no direspect by my question, just would like some info.

Several returning state qualifiers from 171 and 189 slated to go 189 this year.  Atwood and Duckworth being the two biggest names.  Who knows though, by the end of the season we may have some of them drop to 171 too.

I'm not as versed in Indiana HS wrestling as many are on this website.  The Atwood family seems to be very involved and beloved by the Indiana wrestling community.  Could someone fill me in as to their history?  The one thing I noticed from posts last year was that many people were almost mad that Duckworth beat Atwood at state and now I see that people, by a wide margin, are picking 189 to be the toughest weight class.  I suppose that has a lot to do with Atwood and Duckworth apparently being in that weight class again.  I mean absolutely no direspect by my question, just would like some info.

tht has to be ther reason for choosing 89 as the toughest but those are not the only to guys at tht weight class tht are exceptional wrestlers.

It may be more like "What weight class are you most interested in seeing the outcome?"

189 has many tough wrestlers this year.  There are a few clear favorites, but at that weight you never know!  With the top 171's moving up, it has made what could have been a mediocre class into one of the toughest.  My son is at 189, so I'm all for everyone else cutting to 171!!!  8)

• 2 weeks later...

It may be more like "What weight class are you most interested in seeing the outcome?"

189 has many tough wrestlers this year.  There are a few clear favorites, but at that weight you never know!  With the top 171's moving up, it has made what could have been a mediocre class into one of the toughest.  My son is at 189, so I'm all for everyone else cutting to 171!!!  8)

I agree with Mr. Campbell, with Atwood, Duckworth, Goldman and quite a few others moving up in weight it will be a really exciting year at 189 can't forget Sliga coming in at 189 the New Castle semi-state is going to be loaded at the 189 spot. Good luck to all!! 

I expect 130 or 135 to be the toughest, based on which class Tsirtsis goes.  With Wright at 125, the next class up that Tsirtsis isn't wrestling in should be loaded.

You must be a 130 or 135 wrestler because they are not loaded

I've been out of HS for 15 years, and the last time I was 135 pounds I was probably 11 or 12!  The reason I chose those weights is because people tend to move up or down in weight class depending where the most dominant guys are.  I guess it matters what your definition of toughest class is.  My definition would be the class with the most kids that have a shot to win it, as in you have to beat a whole lot of good wrestlers to win.  If you look at toughest to win, you have to say whatever class Tsirtsis wrestles, since he looks to be the best guy pound for pound.

So for those of us who have not seen Duckworth, how much size has he put on to go 215? I know he will be fine but was just wondering. Thanks

Just a question Why do you think Duckworth went past 189 to 215? Did he put on 40lbs or is he just avoiding the steller group of wrestlers at 189. He would not of beat Stevenson or maybe Atwood do you think that played a roll in him jumping up that much weight, I am sure he would not have a problem getting to189. No disrespect to Duck because he is a great wrestler I just wonder if the 189 weight class made him think twice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.