Let's take a trip....

clive2246

It's hokey but I remember Superfly Jimmy Snuka on the old WOR pre Hogan WWF getting piledriven on concrete by Ray Stevens in the eary eighties.  About 2-3 years later, I fouud myself in 7th grade homeroom with a flyer in my hands asking me to join the park district team in Illinois where I grew up.  The rest was a travest... I mean, history, I mean the present.  AND YOU DO KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

Not for me, but for my daughter.

She is a few years younger then Nick. She kept bugging me that she wanted to do what Nick did. At the time she was only 4, so one day I took her to practice with me. I found a little boy about her size that was new to the sport as well. I showed them a few things as far as stance, and let them go at it. As soon as I blew the wistle, the kid came across threw her in a head lock and took her down. She got up, looked at me and said in a very loud voice that wrestling was stupid, and she did not want to do it any longer. She still goes and watches Nick, but unless she can do rolls or run around, she has never stepped on the mat again. Her wrestling career lasted an whopping 15 seconds. Nick has stuck with it a little longer.

It was the mid 80s I was in 3rd grade just got done with a b-ball game my best friend Kevin Elmore came from an ISWA meet we wrestled around. We would practice every day after school he would show me what he learned at practice and we would watch Vision Quest over an over, in 6th grade had my first JV meet pinned my kid my coach came and got me ,the 8th grader that was varsity broke something I took his spot won that match. All I could remember is the mat maids hitting the mat when I was pinning the kid. I fell in love with the sport after that. Wrestled through middle school lost a total of five matches went like 62-5 Then H.S came and it was another level freshman year 112 soph.119 jun.125 I had a 5th place and 3rd place before moving back to Indy. Would of been on Decatur's outstanding team with Walpole coaching. I made a horrible mistake in Cali. Got into a fight my senior year they kicked me out of school my parents was not involved so I had no one to stand up and help me get back in school. and it carried over here in Indy so no Senior year. There went my chances for wrestling for  Cal Poly where I was going to go until this incident. I remind my son of my mistakes and stand by his side and support him in every way possible.  I started my son when he was in 1st grade now he is a freshman How time flies.

At Grissom (Penn), 6th graders were not allowed on the wrestling team.  7th and 8th only. 

I was in 7th grade, and first day of practice went by, and I didn't go.  Wrestling, who does that!?

The next day in gym, Dave Manspeaker came up to me (he knew from class and from football), mad as all get out, "RYAN!  Why weren't you at wrestling practice yesterday?"

Flustered, and a little scared for my life, I responded, "Uh, uh, I dunno.  I forgot my clothes."

Coach Manspeaker, "Well, be there tonight!"

I never missed another practice at Grissom, and owe Manny my life.

I was in second grade when I started a wrestling camp under coach Meeks at the time and I always had to wrestle this fat kid that out weighed me by about 50 pounds and I hated it and then in 7th grade I really wanted to do basketball but I wasn't very good and I decided to try wrestling and I wish I could say I was a stand out but I wasn't. Although it turns out if you switch from football to soccer you lose coach Meeks respect and he writes you off early in wrestling, I made semi-state.

I remember it well. I was in 3rd grade and I got in a fight with a kid whose brother was a Howe wrestler and he cranked on my neck so bad I could barely walk straight afterwards.

Another vivid memory was not long after my neck-cranking experience. I was at Washington Square Mall, where I saw a short, stubby kid with a Delta letterman's jacket beat the stuffing out of a guy who was like a legend in my neighborhood, using nothing but takedowns and control.

I thought it made some sense to learn how to wrestle at that point. It helped me out a lot with defending myself.

It was in the seventh grade, I went to the wrestling room immediatley after football season ended. I was the only kid there that weighed 105 everyone else was heavier, to see that least I wrestled kids that were 15-20 pounds heavier than I was. I can remember my coach with the "Jerry Curl" I think that was the biggest fade in those days. Wrestling a coch with a curl is not fun at all. I stuck with it and now I am coaching, I also met my bestfriend in the wrestling room as well. We went on to wrestle at Tech together in the late 90's when he put me on IR for about the entire season from partially tearing my ACL. Believe it or not it happened drilling one day before wrestle offs for the varisty 112 spot. He had trouble making weight the entire season. We are still best friends until this day.  Wresting builds life long friendships. 

Well let's see...got into middle school and played basketball my 6th grade year. Started to hang out with a different group of kids, but I still tried out for basketball my 7th grade year. Got cut from the team because I was "too short." My best friend from then throughout high school said hey you should try wrestling. I did. Ended up making state, the all-star team, wrestled a bit in college, and now coach. Thank you to that friend!

Had to be 1958, when my Dad took me to the old Marion Colosium to watch the Big Time Wrestling.  Dick "the Bruiser", Cowboy Bob Ellis, Bo Bo Brazil, Wilbur Snyder, The Sheik, Haystack Calhoun, and some others where on the card.  I decided then that I was going to wrestle when I got big.

Who was better.  Haystacks or Moose Cholak

cholak.jpg

Never saw Haystacks but I did see the Moose late in his career.

dA mOOSE used to own a bar on Ewing Ave in Chicago.  One of my buddies used to work at da fish house on 95th and da bridge and da moose used to come dare wit his big ole caddie whit moose horns.  He would order a 5 pounds of shrimp for a snack.

Had a crush on a wrestler my freshman year went to all his matches  and as far as he was concerned we were "just friends" . Then my sons 7th grade year he decided to join the team after  he found out some of his football friends did.Despite me trying to get him to wrestle after getting flyers home for many years. Then my little guys followed in his foot steps.

I am the youngest of 3 brothers and my middle brother went out for wrestling his sophmore year in h.s. in 1974 (I was 10).  This was a big deal because, gowing up on a farm, my dad wasn't to keen on his boys going out for sports and my brother already played football so it was a big deal to be in two sports.  When he came home and told us he wanted to wrestle, I immediately thought it was like professional wrestling but really fell in love with it when I went to the first match.  This was so long ago that the j.v. guys were wearing the old varsity uni's that had singlets with snaps in the crotch and a little diaper looking thing over the bottom of the singlet.  Tights, singlet and diaper!  What a hoot!

I am the youngest of 3 brothers and my middle brother went out for wrestling his sophmore year in h.s. in 1974 (I was 10).  This was a big deal because, gowing up on a farm, my dad wasn't to keen on his boys going out for sports and my brother already played football so it was a big deal to be in two sports.  When he came home and told us he wanted to wrestle, I immediately thought it was like professional wrestling but really fell in love with it when I went to the first match.  This was so long ago that the j.v. guys were wearing the old varsity uni's that had singlets with snaps in the crotch and a little diaper looking thing over the bottom of the singlet.  Tights, singlet and diaper!  What a hoot!

u got any old pics?? ha i would like 2 see that.. i think old school Uniforms are sweet ;D

Well about 31 years ago on the morning of March 22, 1978, I seen this light and proceeded to gravitate to it.  As  it got brighter a strange man wearing a funny mask and gloves pulled me out of my home of 9 months and proceeded to smack me, without hesitation I hit a high crouch doubling off on him taking him straight to his back and the rest is pretty much history.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.