Wrestling Tights

GATORSDAD

What does everyone think about schools that wear tights?  Me personnaly I don't like them.  Are there any colleges that still wear them?

i can see why u dont like them becuase ive watched a match where the otehr kids hand slipped on the tights. But they are like a knee pad for the wrestler wearing them. And some wrestlers dislike knee pads becuase some are very uncomfortable and they can slide down and get u distracted.

Most of the stuff I've read about tights is negative, and I'm going to assume that they're people who have never worn them.  Not that I'm criticizing these people, just making an obversation.  On the appearance side, I don't like them because they do look "strange."  However, I'd like to see opinions of people who've actually worn them. 

i used to wear them when like freshman year, but as time went on in my highschool career i grew more in favor of knee pads. i think it is the habit i got into over a freestyle season in between freshman and sophmore year. i dont see why they shouldnt wear them if they are legal, i personally am not a fan.

On a side note...are knee pads and tights really necessary? i was coaching conference last weekend and i was even seeing this on the big guys!

We wore them in high school (Westfield) and I personally liked them.  They helped keep the legs warm while getting ready for a match and provided less friction than bare skin when shooting a low single or double leg.

As a coach, I still prefer them not only for the aforementioned reasons but for the added protection against the spread of skin conditions from opponents.

Coach Vic

We wore them in high school (Westfield) and I personally liked them.  They helped keep the legs warm while getting ready for a match and provided less friction than bare skin when shooting a low single or double leg.

As a coach, I still prefer them not only for the aforementioned reasons but for the added protection against the spread of skin conditions from opponents.

Coach Vic

Some gyms are freezing and they help a lot.

I wore the tights all throughout my career, I am a fan of them. I'm like drewboy, I'm "hairy like animal" and NO, you will never catch me shaving my legs to give me less friction, I'll wear the tights. I wear them for the same reason a guy wears the knee pads, comfort (its what I was use to). Points are not awarded for wrestlers that look the best for the crowd. Its all about winning, as long as you feel comfortable with what you got on,  go with it. I never steppeed on a mat hoping my uniform was to everyone in the crowds' standards, I left that to the coaches on what our team wore (I just hoped they didn't give us the ugliest ones there). Kids are there to wrestle if your winning with the tights keep 'em, if you don't feel comfortable in them ditch 'em (if your coach lets you). If you think they give the other wrestler the advantge, get you a pair. If you feel the tights give the other guy the advantge, he does have an edge, mentally you think he is better than you because of the tights that's his edge.

I'll say this though I would rather wrestle a guy wearing the tights or knee pads over a guy who is all greased up. Some people go a little over board with the kinshield or whatever skin protection they use.

Since I've been around a wrestling program most of my life that wears tights, I tend to like them.  However, never being a wrestler, I can't say if they help or hurt come match time.  I think they look nice...and MD's seemed to do pretty well over the years wearing them, so I don't think they can be that much of a disadvantage.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.