Bracket busters and surprise state champs

Mr. RIght

Hector Mendez from East Chicago. I don't remember the year exactly but he lost to Andae Hernandez (Griffith) multiple times such as at the regional and Merrillville Semi State. Hernandez then lost in the semis at conseco to Uhl from East Noble, Mendez then went on to beat Uhl and win the 125 title

I like to think this is the Topic where you have a guy that comes out of no where to take a title not just win one. Thurman Stone Calumet in 1999 took a title beat a runner up friday night, a undefeated guy sat. morning and avenged a semi state loss In the finals. Jason Fryar Whiteland with a lateral drop in the final :15 seconds to win against Greg Wagner. Greg Larson Hanover Central was a runner up and beat 2x state Champ Tim Meyers Bellmont. Chris Cooper Whiteland he was undefeated, but he went through Dan Bedoy Bishop Noll and Alex Dolly Mishawaka. Dolly a Indiana great and Bedoy a double national Champ. These are some real bracket busters

1992 - 135lbs. Royce Deckard II(LN) beating Elpers(EMD)  Deckard beat all seniors, he wsa 4th in his semi-state, he beat 2 undefeated wrestlers & the other 2 only had 1 loss.

189lbs. Derrick Robinson(LN) beating Damon Hummel(???)

1990 - I agree on the Rob Pavletic also.  He had a mean cross-face cradle also. He came out of nowhere.

Marc Foreman(MunSo)

I'm sure I've missed a whole bunch more.  Just off the top of my head.

2000 State Finals

John Sheets (9) pinning Thadeus Douglas (12) in the semifinals.

Whiteland's Jason Fryar beating Greg Wagner with a throw in the final seconds of the match.

Oh come on...I had Sheets winning that year on my pick'em sheet. I was just upset that he didn't pin in the finals, cause I had a bet that he would pin his way to a title.

2000 State Finals

John Sheets (9) pinning Thadeus Douglas (12) in the semifinals.

Whiteland's Jason Fryar beating Greg Wagner with a throw in the final seconds of the match.

Oh come on...I had Sheets winning that year on my pick'em sheet. I was just upset that he didn't pin in the finals, cause I had a bet that he would pin his way to a title.

I had to go with Douglas there.  That guy was unbelievably big,  but I think he was to big to get off his back.  I was pretty happy when I seen him because I found out that when I bought tickets to the state finals i also got to see a gun show for free

Hector Mendez from East Chicago. I don't remember the year exactly but he lost to Andae Hernandez (Griffith) multiple times such as at the regional and Merrillville Semi State. Hernandez then lost in the semis at conseco to Uhl from East Noble, Mendez then went on to beat Uhl and win the 119 title

The weight class was 125. I had the pleasure of being the regional champ to face Mendez in the ticket round.

Hector Mendez from East Chicago. I don't remember the year exactly but he lost to Andae Hernandez (Griffith) multiple times such as at the regional and Merrillville Semi State. Hernandez then lost in the semis at conseco to Uhl from East Noble, Mendez then went on to beat Uhl and win the 119 title

The weight class was 125. I had the pleasure of being the regional champ to face Mendez in the ticket round.

that sucks.  That was almost like joey smith last year.  He won a tuff regional and got the pleasure of wrestling Eric Galka in the ticket round.

Hector Mendez from East Chicago. I don't remember the year exactly but he lost to Andae Hernandez (Griffith) multiple times such as at the regional and Merrillville Semi State. Hernandez then lost in the semis at conseco to Uhl from East Noble, Mendez then went on to beat Uhl and win the 125 title

The year was 2002 and it was at 125.  Hector was somewhat overlooked, but this could not be unexpected because of the people that had beaten him from the region.  He was runnerup the year before at 119 losing in the finals to T-shirts for maybe the third or fourth time that year.  He really turned it on when he got to the state finals.  Clint Palmore, Whiteland was the 119 Champ that year beating 2003 Champ Graylan Early in the semis and handing Matt Coughlin 1 of his 2 HS losses under the lights.  The other half of Whitelands dynamic duo that year Chris Cooper, mentioned on here, took care of 160 with a somewhat overlooked effort.

Two men entered-2 Champs

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.