What if class wrestling....

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My arguement is more of a college coaching/recruiting standpoint, i should probably have also mentioned my stance is that of little vitos i just think the implication of such a change would be way to confusing for the dufus' running the IHSAA. I just want to see more Indiana Wrestlers get a chance to get paid for a great college experience somewhere big.  Class wrestling may or may not be a solution to this we will never know until we try.

Im sure someone has said this already but it seems some people are ginving small schools everywhere an excuse on why they didnt go to state or semistate or whatever. would it be good for the sport to make the kid that is a small school guy that got fourth at sectionals to became a guy that goes to semistate or even state just because the competition left?

I will answer for midget.

He/she will probably get their butt dusted, but it keeps the number one from a regional from setting for two hours waiting for a match. And if they can pull off the upset, more power to them. But I have witnessed too many regional champs get beaten in the round to go because they were not warmed up.

TheAncientElder (TAE)

The Imperial Potentate and Grand Poobah of Classless wrestling in Indiana.

I wear my Fez with pride.

www.theancientelder.net

I will answer for midget.

He/she will probably get their butt dusted, but it keeps the number one from a regional from setting for two hours waiting for a match. And if they can pull off the upset, more power to them. But I have witnessed too many regional champs get beaten in the round to go because they were not warmed up.

TheAncientElder (TAE)

www.theancientelder.net

maybe the number one seeds should have just worked harder....and warmed up..they must not have wanted to be a TRUE state champion only TRUE Sectional, regional and semi state champions can advance so we have just the state Semifinals to watch

i solved it

thank me later

"maybe the number one seeds should have just worked harder....and warmed up..they must not have wanted to be a TRUE state champion only TRUE Sectional, regional and semi state champions can advance so we have just the state Semifinals to watch"

Based on your logic then we revert back to "The Old School" of wrestling. This makes for smaller regionals, semi-states, and states since only the "TRUE" champions should advance.

And OH YES thanks.

TheAncientElder (TAE)

www.theancientelder.net

By no way am I suggesting we go back to those days.  Nay!  I was only pointing out how badly changes were perceived then as changes are being perceived now.  One setup suggestion for class made some time ago:

1)  Have 4 classes

2)  Only champion and runner-up advance out of Sectional and Regional

3)  Eliminate the Semi-State

4)  State finals would involve all four classes at same location

So exactly how does class wrestling make indiana wrestlers better when it comes to college recruiting? Would it make Indiana recruiting better because the wrestlers themselves would be better? Or would it make indiana recruiting better?

As for classes bumping up the participation level, I wonder if other sports in Indiana had a large jump in participants when Indiana went to classes in other sports.

I still say lets class the team tourney and keep the individuals 1 class. However, if there would be a huge spike in the numbers of participants after that, then maybe classing individual state would be a good thing.

A big mistake people are making is assuming that class wrestling is the reason why some of the states above us are doing better.  The Ohio youth program is AWESOME.  Our youth program likes to fight and bicker about tournaments and what organizations are running them.  In Ohio, they just wrestle. 

We talk about the teams at the top, then what about the class wrestling states that are at the bottom of all the data?  Why is this being ignored?

A big mistake people are making is assuming that class wrestling is the reason why some of the states above us are doing better.  The Ohio youth program is AWESOME.  Our youth program likes to fight and bicker about tournaments and what organizations are running them.  In Ohio, they just wrestle. 

We talk about the teams at the top, then what about the class wrestling states that are at the bottom of all the data?  Why is this being ignored?

AJ,

Why aren't you complaining about letting 56 more wrestlers qualify for semi-state?  Its diluting what it means to be a semi-state qualifier.  When I have a kid that qualifies for semi-state now I can say "well you aren't as tough as I was because I did it when the top 3 advanced."  Isn't semi-state watered down now?

Look at ALL of my posts on this topic.  Not once have I complained about anything nor have I attacked the idea of class wrestling.  I am not in favor of it, but I have not complained about it.

I like the idea of taking 4 to semistate because I think it is ridiculous to have a bye in the first round of a state tournament series by design.  If there was to be a bye, then it should go to semistate winners when they wrestle at state the following week.  Do I think there will be many #4's winning at semistate, no I do not. 

AJ,

Why aren't you complaining about letting 56 more wrestlers qualify for semi-state?  Its diluting what it means to be a semi-state qualifier.  When I have a kid that qualifies for semi-state now I can say "well you aren't as tough as I was because I did it when the top 3 advanced."  Isn't semi-state watered down now?

Is that not what "hasbeens"  say now about when only 2 came out of sectionals!!!

Watering it down.. I guess YES would be my answer even though I do not use that argument against class wrestling.

Evening out the tournament series into nice even numbers is worth it. 

Maybe it is just a complex or disorder that I have?    :-\

I think that disorder is called Anti-Y2CJitis, the symptoms including arguing against anything Y2CJ41 says!

I could say this pen is blue and you'd argue that it isn't:)

Is there a pill I can take for that one.  I'm sure it will be a hard one to swollow if it does exist.

I could say this pen is blue and you'd argue that it isn't:)

Considering I can not nor could not see the pen, I would have to take your word that it was blue, even deep down I would think it was red!  ;D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.