Best wrestler to never advance to state

WHITE ANGEL

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Herman

dave herman the mma bada$$?  after i saw one of his matches on t.v. i was looking for his name in the "echos of the elder" book.  i was kind of surprised to not find him.  who did beat him?

Im not sure he ever even wrestled in the state series. Cadet130 would be the one to ask.

Dave wrestled in the series one time (as a sophomore). He won sectionals and lost in regionals to the guy from Northrop (whom he beat in sectionals). After that season he got in a bit of trouble and didn't get to wrestle in high school anymore.

And for the record..this topic was for "best wrestler to never make it to state." I am not sure how well you know Dave, Dingo, but he was far from a state qualifier in high school. Maybe his senior year he could have done something and pushed for a high place at 215. Even if you ask Dave he will tell you that he was a terrible wrestler. He was especially not that good in high school. Something just clicked for him both mentally and physically when he walked on to IUs team. So don't be confused...he was far from one of the "best to never make it to state."

I think another good wrestler never to advance to state was Tyler Frame of South Bend Riley.

I'd say Rodney Sleepers as well.  From what I understand, he used to be able to hold his own against Mike Markham.

Markham - name i haven't heard in a while.  That guy was a brick.

Greg Cannon (152) from Rensselaer.  Two time ticket round loser to people he took apart in the regular season.  Both went on to place in Indy the next weekend.  Kyle Johns was a three time SS qualifier and undefeted his senior year before Mono kept him out of the tournament.  Tom Flemming is another good one.

They best wrestlers to never make would be the ones back when they took two from Sectional and Regional and three from SS, many top five wrestlers never made it out of the regional. Blind draw, two top fives met in the semi finals, while a sectional runner up that lost to one of the top five wrestlers would move on.

Dave wrestled in the series one time (as a sophomore). He won sectionals and lost in regionals to the guy from Northrop (whom he beat in sectionals). After that season he got in a bit of trouble and didn't get to wrestle in high school anymore.

And for the record..this topic was for "best wrestler to never make it to state." I am not sure how well you know Dave, Dingo, but he was far from a state qualifier in high school. Maybe his senior year he could have done something and pushed for a high place at 215. Even if you ask Dave he will tell you that he was a terrible wrestler. He was especially not that good in high school. Something just clicked for him both mentally and physically when he walked on to IUs team. So don't be confused...he was far from one of the "best to never make it to state."

I think it depends on what criteria makes someone the 'best to never make it to state'. I'm a little skeptical that any of these other discussed wrestlers were above-average D1 wrestlers who started at a Big 10 school and beat ranked D1 wrestlers.

Jacob Green from Turkey Run was a great wrestler who didnt make it.  3x SSQ 01 lost to Dalton- New Castle 02 lost to Coatie- New Castle(7th)  03 lost to Pino- Lawrence North (4th) all three were in the ticket round.  

there was a few wrestlers from batesville that were pretty good  and never made it to state

BJ Gartaman was a 3 time semi state qualifer had horrible draws made it to the the round to go twice had a 110 wins in his career

Zac sitterding was a three time qualifer made to the ticket round twice had 103 wins

mark enneking was two time qualifer as a soph and a senior wrestled steve minton in the regional final soph year and gave him everything he could handle should have won.  that same year in the ticket match had nate may pinned but the ref called him for backing up as he was in the air ref aplogize after the match. senior year he got beat in the round to go by  a kid from pike  had 103 wins in his career

I think another good wrestler never to advance to state was Tyler Frame of South Bend Riley.

I'd say Rodney Sleepers as well.  From what I understand, he used to be able to hold his own against Mike Markham.

Markham - name i haven't heard in a while.  That guy was a brick.

Markham did go to state, he placed twice in a row at 189 pounds, 5th as a junior and 6th as a senior.

Jade McCammon 4X ticket round of semi state

fr.  loss to    Macke from Mmater dei

so. loss to Coughlin Mater Dei

jr.  loss to    joel jefferies  martinsville

sr.  loss to   joe lehman mater dei

them are some pretty good wrestlers to get beat by

Josh Lovejoy --  Bishop Luers.   Had victories over a State Champ and quite a few State Placers.   3x SS qualifier.

He always choked at the Coliseum.  It was either the venue or he was sick.  We never knew for sure.

He came a match short of qualifying for SS a 4th time despite starting the season recovering from Mono.

I am glad to see his little brother made it through last year.

BTW, for those that know Josh.  He is recovering quite nicely after fighting off a non-hodgkins lymphoma last year ('08.)  The prognosis is very good.

I may be a little biased but my little brother Justin Cooper from Whiteland, just had some bad luck.  I believe this is correct. 

Freshman  year ticket round against Blake Mauer .  Sophomore year ticket round against Blake Mauer.  Junior year ticket round against Kleinhentz (sp) from Columbus North.  Then his senior year he was like #2 in the rankings, undefeated,  and had already beaten Barnhizer at Connersville earlier in the year then got dqed on a questionable call in the conference finals and was not allowed to wrestle in the state tournament series the following weekend as a senior. 

Matt Osbourne - Floyd Central (91-94)

Fr year got beat in ticket round by norwood taylor (ben davis) in ot at 112.  Taylor was eventual state champion that year.

So year got dq from regional after getting pinned by galbrath (madison).  Tice (SD) got his draw and placed 5th.

Jr year drew roggi (emd) in ticket round and lost.

Sr year - mia

Also Micheal Wiemer and Billy Hanks should be on the list too. 

All three were tough have something in common...Same momma but different daddies! 

He had some classic battles with Pat Day and Zack Whikcar. (sp)

Yeah me and ole Tyler went 3-3 with each other...however Whickar and I wrestled once...and he handed me my rear end :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.