First timer at Al Smith help...

AJ

Does anyone have any advice for someone making the trip to the Al Smith for the first time?  Some examples of advice:

Do you recommend going both days or just the second day?

Any quality hotels , and remember I just bought a lot of Christmas gifts for the family.

Any must eat at place after wrestling has ended for the day?

Shortcuts to the school?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

If time permits, obviously going for both days is great, but it is a long tournament.  Definitely second day, quarter-finals and on feature great wrestling.

Shortcuts to the school, not really.  The school is located on a main artery, so regardless of how you get to Mishawaka, Lincolnway is the street you want to get to.  Where will you be coming from?

Hotels, there are tons on the Northside of Mishawaka, they have been popping up all over to accomodate our Hawaii Bowl Champion team west of us.  There is an inexpensive Days Inn not too far east from the school, actually on the same street (Lincolnway)

Food, again, depends on budget and taste.  There are some good, locally owned, eateries downtown Mishawaka.  Doc Pierces, Main St. Grille, Hacienda, Pat's Pub, Squads 2nd Precinct, Francescos.  Again, head North to the shopping mecca, and you can find everything.  And yes, we do have a Hooters!

they split the weight classes between  the two gyms on the first day.  lighter classes (103-145 i think)in the old gym(east side gym) and heavier weight glasses(152-hwt) in the new gym(west side). depending on who you are going to see or spending the most time, parking on perspective side of the school complex may help.  on day two everything moves into the "old" gym.  keep in mind on the east side of the school its more residental street parking than on the west side where there are parking lots.  there are quite a few locally owned restaurants near by but if you are into the chain types and most hotels plan your routes to and from the school via north main street to Mishawaka ave. or Lincolnway. yes there is a little road work but not too bad.  its about the easiest. enjoy our town.

I suggest printing brackets ahead of time sometimes they run out. Also, a seat cushion is a good idea for those bleachers. I haven't been in a few years but hope to make it out this year. Mishiwaka Brewing Company was always a good place for lunch are they still open?

Thanks for all the advice, but if I can not shake the flu by Sunday night, I will be waiting by the computer for some results.  I am currently missing the ECIC, and do not want to miss the Al Smith, but I can not even stay on the computer for 10 minutes without, well you know, so sitting in a car for 3 hours may be a stretch. 

Any word on the broadcast this year?  Will there be one?

Why would you want to disregard AMAZING authentic Mexican food made by Beto (yes I know the owner, he moved here from guess where....Mazatlan) and go to Hacienda, a chain restuarant that random high school kids work at and the tortillas taste like cardboard and there is no flavor to any of the food.

To me there is no question, Mazatlan is easily the best restaurant in town.

No offense, Mazatlan is much more authentic than Hacienda, but I have not been back since a MPD buddy was called there for a security alarm set off by motion detector, and it wasn't set off by 2 legged mammals if you get my drift.  Not my story, straight from the officer.

Why would you want to disregard AMAZING authentic Mexican food made by Beto (yes I know the owner, he moved here from guess where....Mazatlan) and go to Hacienda, a chain restuarant that random high school kids work at and the tortillas taste like cardboard and there is no flavor to any of the food.

To me there is no question, Mazatlan is easily the best restaurant in town.

Much more authentic than Hacienda . Just watch out for nickel size chunks of glass in your beer mug .

Last year we took a shot at " Famous Dave's Barbecue ". The "feast" was a meal worth remembering. Ribs, chicken and brisket, slaw, beans. taters, and the best cornbread muffins you ever had. And real reasonably priced.

The Brisket is to die for (My favorate) , Don't forget about the awesome Corn on the Cob as well .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.