Best Coaches?

Boot

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many good coaches throughout the state that won't be recognized on a thread like this because they don't coach a perennial powerhouse team.  Its a shame that there are many coaches at the small school level that have done wonders working with less for many years.

Here are some off the top of my head:

Tim Spray of Pioneer- Always has competitive teams and contends for sectional titles each and every year

Doug Smoker of Prairie Heights- Wrestling is the only sport with an ounce of success in PH and they always are top 2 in the conference and contending for a sectional title against teams two their size.  Along with that they always seem to have representatives down at state each and every year.

Mike Atwood of Delphi- They made it to team state this year, but they have always had good wrestlers and good teams.

Oh and don't forget Todd lockyear. Anyone involved with the castle program knows it wouldn't be the same without him :)

My bad...you are right...Todd is amazing!!! He likes to stir the pot....Ha is one of a kind.....

He is a real tomedian. Probably the biggest one I know

The Todd....Now how could one ever forget The Todd...  :o

Dave May, mostly from Indianapolis Brebeuf, is by far the best coach I ever worked with.  He was a truly great and humble man who opened his room for every kid in central Indiana.  For a while the Braves Wrestling Club was packed with state champions and finalists.  Most practices included Brebeuf, Chatard, North Central, Danville, Beech Grove, Plainfiled, Carmel, Pike... name it.  Dave gave everything to anyone no matter where they went to school.   

I miss him terribly. 

A Head Coach is only as good as his assistants.  The better coaching staff a head coach puts together the better the team will be.

I am gonna go a step further.....and say all of your club and elementary coaches....  I want to extend a "Thata' Boy" to Coach Jeff Sprunger, who not helps out with the Varsity, Jr. High, Elementary, and runs the Gold Wrestling Club...he video tapes everything for our kids, takes pictures, tapes their shoelaces, and all of the other little things that you would never think of....oh and 99 out of a 100 times, he has a pair of nail clippers in his pocket!  Not to mention, he is a real technical genius!  Even in a set of coverall's and boots, he will drill with any kid to make them better!  And as I found out last night, voted against AJ every chance he could! lol.....just kidding AJ!  See you Saturday.

i would like to say that Coach Pat Wilkins of Portage is a contender for best turn around team

last year we ended the season with a record of 10-12 and only sending 2 wrestlers to semi state and

one to state. this year we have ended our season in a team regional loss to CP and a record of 28-5

sending 11 to simi state and hoping to send all 11 to the state tournament.

thank you

brandon coppinger

i would like to say that Coach Pat Wilkins of Portage is a contender for best turn around team

last year we ended the season with a record of 10-12 and only sending 2 wrestlers to semi state and

one to state. this year we have ended our season in a team regional loss to CP and a record of 28-5

sending 11 to simi state and hoping to send all 11 to the state tournament.

thank you

brandon coppinger

also to bring in reggie wright was a good move on pat's part!

I got one for you John Hurrle, Tecg High School!!!

I think he has been mentioned but I'll  give you a WAHOO anyway, great guy.  One that I'm not sure has been mentioned around the same era is Al Morgan. 

Vlink

That man forgot more wrestling than most will ever know, he also really seems to get the most out of the least, it is only recently that C.P has been loaded with this much talent

I really have enjoyed watching the progression of some of these kids that have come through the program over the years, especially the less experienced, and less talented kids.

Vlink

That man forgot more wrestling than most will ever know, he also really seems to get the most out of the least, it is only recently that C.P has been loaded with this much talent

I really have enjoyed watching the progression of some of these kids that have come through the program over the years, especially the less experienced, and less talented kids.

Vlink has done a great job but like said previously he has good around him.  He has good assistants at the high school.  The ones in the background Hawk and Kutemeier who run Jr Bulldogs and Lightning deserve credit as well.  Good wrestling programs have good kids programs.

Vlink

He eget the most out of the least? talant or Numbers CP has what 3000 kids in there high school. Not until recently has he start to make noise ont the state level except a couple of good 215, Millis, Mark Vlink and the Wilkersons. Getting the most out of what you have would be schools like West Central or whiting where they only have like 200 or some of these other 1A schools when you 40 kids come out for wrestling you should be sucessful. Like I said in my first post on best coaches a coach Like Jim Wadkins Calumet(500) who has something like 16 kids come out every year and still fills a line up and has to deal with things with kids who come from a pretty rough area. Same with the Hammond and Gary school.

I thought Berry Humble was a great coach ! He did great at Adams Central and I noticed he helped New Haven a great deal. As a person I found he was a very understanding and all around good guy.

Berry is a good guy and good coach, I look for New Haven to keep improving.

Crown point doesn't have 3000 kids. In any case, I don't think it's possible to say who the best coach is. There is so much going on that no one knows about.I bet most people just pick their own coach.  Plus, it's not all about wins and losses.I do take exception to 219's characterization of CP, though.  The whole is always better than the sum of their parts.they are a consistently good team year after year. I bet the win percentage there is around .75 over the years, and they wrestle in the DAC.I will give you that CP hasn't had the best individuals, but any coach can babysit a kid who is already good independent of anything he did. Would you say griffith's coach is better than cp's because he's had more state champs? I think that would be wrong. You don't measure a coach by his number of state champs. I think that indiana has a lot of great coaches, and some probably haven't won any titles, but they teach their kids the right things and are a positive influence on their lives. Above all, I think that's what makes a good coach. 

"There are many good coaches throughout the state that won't be recognized on a thread like this because they don't coach a perennial powerhouse team.  Its a shame that there are many coaches at the small school level that have done wonders working with less for many years."

I have to second Y2 on his reply.  Nothing against the "big name" coaches at all, but there are some tremendous coaches out there who do wonders "working with less" (b0th numbers, coaches, and facilities) than most high profile programs.  I would agree with another post (I can't remember who) that Rick Overfield, Jamie Welliever and JD Minch are great examples.  I know them first hand because I coach in the same conference.  Y2 mentioned some great ones, too!  I'm sure there are many more out there who could do wonders at a "big school", but have stayed loyal to their schools and communities and stayed put, even through some "lean" years.   Maybe this shoud be another thread, but let's hear about your votes for "small school" programs who have great coaches.  By the way, before I sign off, I should pass kudos on to Chris Shoaf at Fountain Central, Ron Stateler at South Vermillion and Tom Cook at Seeger who always put tough teams on the mat and produce several  state - caliber  individuals as well.  

Chris Ervin

Crawfordsville H.S.  

East Chicago central has had some good coaches

Bill Kelly NCAA Champ

Tony Davis NCAA Champ

Andy Trevino NCAA Qualifer

Rene Hernandez NCAA Quilifer and his AD isn't to bad ethier Billy Maldonado

You forgot scott hinkle (NCAA all-american & purdue head coach)  before Kelly

Crown point doesn't have 3000 kids. In any case, I don't think it's possible to say who the best coach is. There is so much going on that no one knows about.I bet most people just pick their own coach.  Plus, it's not all about wins and losses.I do take exception to 219's characterization of CP, though.  The whole is always better than the sum of their parts.they are a consistently good team year after year. I bet the win percentage there is around .75 over the years, and they wrestle in the DAC.I will give you that CP hasn't had the best individuals, but any coach can babysit a kid who is already good independent of anything he did. Would you say griffith's coach is better than cp's because he's had more state champs? I think that would be wrong. You don't measure a coach by his number of state champs. I think that indiana has a lot of great coaches, and some probably haven't won any titles, but they teach their kids the right things and are a positive influence on their lives. Above all, I think that's what makes a good coach. 

I think Scott Vlick is a good coach he has been at Cp for a long time if he wasn't a good coach I'm sure he would have been replaced since CP is in the very tough DAC. But my response was to Trapjaw saying he does the most with the least. Which any 1A school coach would disagree with. they might not have 3000 but they have every bit of 2400. I don't think everyone picks there own coach. I have alot of respect for any coach who puts the time in. Because your going to get paid for all the time you put in. That is a fact.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.