Best Coaches?

Boot

Vlink

That man forgot more wrestling than most will ever know, he also really seems to get the most out of the least, it is only recently that C.P has been loaded with this much talent

I really have enjoyed watching the progression of some of these kids that have come through the program over the years, especially the less experienced, and less talented kids.

He eget the most out of the least? talant or Numbers CP has what 3000 kids in there high school. Not until recently has he start to make noise ont the state level except a couple of good 215, Millis, Mark Vlink and the Wilkersons. Getting the most out of what you have would be schools like West Central or whiting where they only have like 200 or some of these other 1A schools when you 40 kids come out for wrestling you should be sucessful. Like I said in my first post on best coaches a coach Like Jim Wadkins Calumet(500) who has something like 16 kids come out every year and still fills a line up and has to deal with things with kids who come from a pretty rough area. Same with the Hammond and Gary school.

I guess saying "most with the least" wasn't the best way to articulate my thoughts

What I meant to say is that Coach Vlink really seems to aqueeze all the potential out of the less naturaly gifted, athletic kids.

Also. to me, it just seems like Crown Point kids, always seem to do the right things on the mat

And I think you may need a little history lesson on the Dogs, I've been following the program for a long time

The were probably the best region team of the 80'S, were a little down for CP standards but still well above average throughout the 90's, and are back to the top of the region, and a consistent top 10 team in the state in the 2000's

Since Vlink arrived according to there website gocpwrestling.com

18 time sectional champs

6 time regional champs

10 time conference champs

62 state qualifiers (soon to be more)

27 state medals (soon to be more)

Those are pretty impressive numbers!!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are very Impressive numbers. Crown Point kids do act Classy on the Mat. The only time I would say I have ever seen a CP Wrestler act out of line was last years 3rd and 4th place match. They were very good in the 80's but I would say Calumet in the first half(2nd and 3rd) and Chesterton in the late 80's winning THE REGIONS only Team State title.  But thanks for the clearification.

There are 2 from South Bend that come to mind for me. Bill Flatt from Riley. He's turned quite a few kids into state medalist wrestlers. He has also put together tough lineups from top to bottom. The other is Al Hartman from Clay. He is the youngest coach ever inducted into the Indiana Wrestling Hall of Fame. He really gets the potential out of his wrestlers, and usually has at least one at state every year. He has somewhere around 350 career wins I believe. I've been coached by both and they definitely made me a much better wrestler.

Didn't portage win it at least once? I can't believe the region only has one team state title.lowell won the coaches trophy once didn't they? And I know hobart came close once but I think they lost a heartbreaker to mater dei in the finals. That was a good team, though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.