Is Indiana The Heavyweight Mecca Of Collegiate Wrestling?

When you see Davidson from Michigan and Chesterton in the finals after Mason Parris just won it. Gable was born here. Streck just won his second D2 title. Greg Wagner was a 3 time AA. Tony Vaughn was an AA.  Hartleroad already has won U16's. Can we say that we produce the best Heavy's in the Country?

NJ has Baumgartner, Mocco and Cassar

Minn. has Lesnar, Nelson, Kerkvliet and (arguably) Steveson

PA and Ohio have had multiple each.  

Its an interesting topic for sure.  I'd probably give it to NJ considering Bruce went there and he may be the most underappreciated wrestler of all time.

Edited by Lat Drop

3 minutes ago, Lat Drop said:

NJ has Baumgartner, Mocco and Cassar

Minn. has Lesnar, Nelson, Kerkvliet and (arguably) Steveson

PA and Ohio have had multiple each.  

Its an interesting topic for sure.  I'd probably give it to NJ considering Bruce went there and he may be the most underappreciated wrestler of all time.

Baumgartner did go to my alma mater Indiana State!!!!  Can we get partial credit for that.  3rd most famous Sycamore behind Larry Bird and myself!!😁

We can't claim Gable anymore that we can claim Big Bruce.  Indiana is having a good run recently, but I don't think you can say that we produce the best heavyweights. 

That's like saying since an Indiana guy has won 141 3 of the last 4 years that we produce the best 141's and that just isn't the case

Edited by ReformedPoster

4 hours ago, Bulldog89 said:

Baumgartner did go to my alma mater Indiana State!!!!  Can we get partial credit for that.  3rd most famous Sycamore behind Larry Bird and myself!!😁

I too am a Sycamore, helped get a wrestling club going while I was there out of respect for the great and powerful Bruce Baumgartner.

13 hours ago, Bulldog89 said:

I don’t know,  they had a very good gymnast that went there as well. Very storied sports university. 

On 3/28/2024 at 7:36 AM, Bulldog89 said:

Just to be clear Joe:

#1 Dave Doster

#2 Larry Bird

#3 Bruce Baumgartner

I think he is off topic just a bit, but bravo to you for a mention to former Major League Baseball player Dave Doster.  He’s not quite as famous as Larry Bird or Bruce Baumgartner … or even Kurt Thomas … but he did ISU proud.

Ft.Wayne native and Indiana St. alum David Eric Doster played baseball at New Haven High School and Indiana State University before playing 13 seasons of professional baseball.  He mostly played at the AAA level but also parts of two seasons at the major league level as well as playing some in the Japanese and Mexican leagues.  May be a stretch to list him above Larry Bird, Bruce Baumgartner, and Kurt Thomas though.  😀

On 3/27/2024 at 9:55 AM, ReformedPoster said:

We can't claim Gable anymore that we can claim Big Bruce.  Indiana is having a good run recently, but I don't think you can say that we produce the best heavyweights. 

That's like saying since an Indiana guy has won 141 3 of the last 4 years that we produce the best 141's and that just isn't the case

Producing 9 All-American placings and 3 Natty Champs might say that we are.

16 hours ago, piscis1956 said:

Ft.Wayne native and Indiana St. alum David Eric Doster played baseball at New Haven High School and Indiana State University before playing 13 seasons of professional baseball.  He mostly played at the AAA level but also parts of two seasons at the major league level as well as playing some in the Japanese and Mexican leagues.  May be a stretch to list him above Larry Bird, Bruce Baumgartner, and Kurt Thomas though.  😀

3 hours ago, BrodyHardcastle said:

Joel Kim Booster No GIF by mikeslemonadeca

Piscis1956 auditioning to be Bulldog89's hype man.

On 3/28/2024 at 7:34 AM, Bulldog89 said:

Kurt Thomas

I kind of remember the Dosters in  New Haven. They lived in town. Most  NHHS kids lived in the country or Village Woods 

On 3/29/2024 at 7:35 PM, piscis1956 said:

List revised:

T #1 Dave Doster

T #1 Larry Bird

# 3 John Wooden  (Coach) 

# 4 Bruce Baumgartner

# 5 Burl Ives (Snowman from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer)

# 6 Kurt Thomas

# 7 Bubba The Love Sponge (This is true!)

For proof below, #1 on the list!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indiana_State_University_people

Athletics[edit]

On 3/29/2024 at 7:35 PM, piscis1956 said:

Until I get an autographed Larry Bird card, Doster is ahead of him.

3 hours ago, Bulldog89 said:

List revised:

T #1 Dave Doster

T #1 Larry Bird

# 3 John Wooden  (Coach) 

# 4 Bruce Baumgartner

# 5 Burl Ives (Snowman from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer)

# 6 Kurt Thomas

# 7 Bubba The Love Sponge (This is true!)

For proof below, #1 on the list!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indiana_State_University_people

Athletics[edit]

The guy with a surgery named after him has to be in the top 7.