This Crown Point Team…

2 hours ago, ontherise219 said:

i am probably not the right person to ask that question because i do have a lot of text from around the state about open recruiting that i can share if you really want me too. Incoming 8th graders now, graduated wrestlers, wrestlers who wrestle out of state. 

or we can keep it as a joke and say kids want to wrestle with their buddies 

Exactly

2 hours ago, TrueRegionFan said:

Are you claiming coaches are recruiting or parents are recruiting?  I don't believe either.  If you have proof, show it.

Just because you willfully close your eyes to it doesn't mean its not happening. Parents can do whatever they want, they aren't bound to the IHSAA. But are coaches doing it? 100%. Just because you don't believe it, doesn't make it untrue. I also don't believe I mentioned any schools specifically, so why are you getting so defensive?

18 minutes ago, Cmoney125 said:

Just because you willfully close your eyes to it doesn't mean its not happening. Parents can do whatever they want, they aren't bound to the IHSAA. But are coaches doing it? 100%. Just because you don't believe it, doesn't make it untrue. I also don't believe I mentioned any schools specifically, so why are you getting so defensive?

I'm kind of in the know, but not all the way in the know.  Maybe I'm being naive.  Maybe it's a terminology thing for me.  

I'm not defensive towards any one school.  It seems there are a lot of people, who have no idea what they are talking about, accuse the successful programs of recruiting. My definition of recruiting would be for the coaches to actively persuade an athlete to move to their program and to incentivize them to do so. I don't for one second believe the top programs that typically get called out for recruiting like Brownsburg, Crown Point, Center Grove, Cathedral, EMD, etc. are doing this.  I have too much respect for each of those school's coaches to believe they would do this.

If you are referring to recruiting as parents and or athletes talking with each other about being on each other's teams, or saying you should join our team so our kids could wrestle together?  I don't consider that recruiting.  I consider that normal conversations amongst friends.

43 minutes ago, TrueRegionFan said:

I'm kind of in the know, but not all the way in the know.  Maybe I'm being naive.  Maybe it's a terminology thing for me.  

I'm not defensive towards any one school.  It seems there are a lot of people, who have no idea what they are talking about, accuse the successful programs of recruiting. My definition of recruiting would be for the coaches to actively persuade an athlete to move to their program and to incentivize them to do so. I don't for one second believe the top programs that typically get called out for recruiting like Brownsburg, Crown Point, Center Grove, Cathedral, EMD, etc. are doing this.  I have too much respect for each of those school's coaches to believe they would do this.

If you are referring to recruiting as parents and or athletes talking with each other about being on each other's teams, or saying you should join our team so our kids could wrestle together?  I don't consider that recruiting.  I consider that normal conversations amongst friends.

Believe what you want. And you definitely aren't in the know as much as you think you are. I'm not speaking with inference and I'm most definitely not referring to parents. Once again I havent mentioned programs. But to say it's not happening on a wide scale, state wide is willful ignorance

3 hours ago, TrueRegionFan said:

I don't think it's a 'Maybe I'm being naive.  Maybe it's a terminology thing for me.' question.  But maybe an alliance to a program thing.  Which is cool and I understand.  Cause if you say  recruiting doesn't exist you are blind and definitely not in the know.  It is there.  I think the better question is whether you agree with it or not.  I'm ok with it.  If as a parent I think wrestling for a certain program increases my chances of my son being successful in life than I am moving.  As long it is done within the rules.  Heck there is recruiting at every level and in every sport.  Just don't lie and say there isn't.

Edited by VisionQuest87

2 hours ago, VisionQuest87 said:

I don't think it's a 'Maybe I'm being naive.  Maybe it's a terminology thing for me.' question.  But maybe an alliance to a program thing.  Which is cool and I understand.  Cause if you say  recruiting doesn't exist you are blind and definitely not in the know.  It is there.  I think the better question is whether you agree with it or not.  I'm ok with it.  If as a parent I think wrestling for a certain program increases my chances of my son being successful in life than I am moving.  As long it is done within the rules.  Heck there is recruiting at every level and in every sport.  Just don't lie and say there isn't.

I agree with just about everything you said.  How about that, a Merrillville guy and CP guy agreeing on something.

I agree 100% with any parent that makes the choice to move in order to give their son or daughter the best opportunity at success in life.  Just because a parent chooses to move doesn't mean a coach came and sat in their living room and convinced them to move to a different community and join their wrestling team.  

My point is that there are a lot of people making accusations of recruiting without any proof.  Without proof, it's just an opinion.  And typically, those opinions stem from jealousy.  They appear to be so appalled at the notion of recruiting and even say they have proof.  Well, end the conversation and show the proof, if you have it. If you don't, keep your mouth shut.

8 hours ago, DawgPoundRed said:

You say we recruit because it's the only way you guys can justify how we are so good and out work everyone 

I agree with True region fan show me evidence or drop it 

We just dominated the semi state like no one else in history how about praise our team for their greatness 

Bend the knee sounds stronger . Or Kneel before us. Good luck this weekend ahead as I can see 10 placers possible after the draws. I’m not sure what a record is for a team with State placers but look to be in some good spots .

10 hours ago, DawgPoundRed said:

You say we recruit because it's the only way you guys can justify how we are so good and out work everyone 

I agree with True region fan show me evidence or drop it 

We just dominated the semi state like no one else in history how about praise our team for their greatness 

Let's give CP their due.  This team is probably the best ever in Indiana.  Love watching them. 

You are never going to find evidence of breaking the IHSAA rules.  But let's be completely honest here.  When you have a wrestling community like CP, and you had the great school system like they have, and a few other things that make wrestling and or moving to CP beneficial, why wouldn't you wrestle for them.  I mean I bleed purple but if I had a son wrestling right now they would 100% be going to CP. 

I am sure they, coaches/parents/wrestlers, don't have a recruiting budget or go out there and say 'Transfer to CP.'  The system does the recruiting for them.  So, you are right let's drop it cause no one is ever going to have evidence, but let's also not lie to ourselves and say there is no recruiting going on.

On 2/7/2024 at 11:30 PM, tangarrray said:

it was both brothers transferring from CP to Portage and CP contested it. One brother was a senior so he was done. The younger brother won state the next season at Portage. 

Oh yeah, I remember that one. Crown Point was SHOCKED and APPAULED that the Moran brothers wanted to leave and go to Portage. Crown Point challenged it, and both brothers lost the following year of eligibility. Younger brother (Jacob Moran) went on to win state his junior year and senior year (2X State Champ). Both went on ahead to wrestle D-1 on a full ride. ( No thanks to C.P.)

** I'm sure the A.D. does NOT want to dig that season up and discuss what was going on with "THAT" team, and  the "Real" reason they transferred OUT!

2 hours ago, cradleU said:

Oh yeah, I remember that one. Crown Point was SHOCKED and APPAULED that the Moran brothers wanted to leave and go to Portage. Crown Point challenged it, and both brothers lost the following year of eligibility. Younger brother (Jacob Moran) went on to win state his junior year and senior year (2X State Champ). Both went on ahead to wrestle D-1 on a full ride. ( No thanks to C.P.)

** I'm sure the A.D. does NOT want to dig that season up and discuss what was going on with "THAT" team, and  the "Real" reason they transferred OUT!

What was the real reason?

23 hours ago, igotcaught said:

What was the real reason?

In a letter, X fka Twitter. Smh. 

DeMarco’s dad should be thanking Sessa for that excellent advice.  If various power structures in Lake County had taken similar, more appropriately phrased, advice, it wouldn’t have been worse than pulling teeth trying to get my 3 kids to achieve their full potential at CP. I’m tempted to start a thread, “Before you move,” but my edit and delete features have disappeared, so I’m trying to be cautious about writing. 

I really enjoyed my time sitting in the CP practice room watching moves I could later practice at home with my son and talking shop (including recruiting) with Mr. Moran, not the school coaches. What a very nice family that is. 

AD Dorulla can be a very reasonable man. He agreed to fix the girls track schedule, and CP finally ended the LC sectional run. However, he should have considered the effect on a teen of making him sit a year twiddling his thumbs. Teens with too much time on their hands run the risk that they figure out that spending time with a gf is more fun than going to a school that makes you dive on random tennis balls so that you don’t think twice if it’s ever a grenade. 

Dorulla pulled a genius move when Lorek took over to help him by bringing in Bill Hawkins. He’s the most gifted coach I’ve ever met in knowing just how to talk to kids. There are coaches who can make you hate wrestling and never want to wrestle again in under 5 seconds.