Semi-State Death Pods / Ticket Round Matches

1 hour ago, AndyStJ said:

The obvious answer, used by literally every other state in the United States except for the state of IHSAA, is wrestlebacks.

If the 49 other states do it then why can't we convince IHSAA to do it?  

3 minutes ago, awill0352 said:

If the 49 other states do it then why can't we convince IHSAA to do it?  

Ignorance. Arrogance. Indifference to the needs of a sport outside of round ball.

I blame the Milan Indians for winning a state title in basketball in 1954. The IHSAA seems to cling to that anomaly as a good reason to spit in the face of conventional wisdom and maintain an antiquated competition system at every possible turn.

1 minute ago, purdue02 said:

How big an impact on the State Team IHSAA race does it make that Crown Point goes through EC and Brownsburg goes through EV each year?

I was just thinking this.  Center Grove, Brownsburg, and Mater Dei going through EVV SS greatly hurts them compared to CP. 

Another interesting rd 1 matchup out of Evansville at 157 Freshman vs Freshman: Elijah Guyer IC vs Lucas Farmer Cas. These 2 had a great match in rd 1 of MS state last year with Guyer getting the OT win. Now they see eachother again for a chance to get into the ticket round. 

18 minutes ago, awill0352 said:

I was just thinking this.  Center Grove, Brownsburg, and Mater Dei going through EVV SS greatly hurts them compared to CP. 

now we all know brownsburg, mater dei and center grove will get into team state … and they should.  It really has a bigger affect on the smaller schools (1A and 2A) battling those 3 plus throw in Avon, Floyd central, terre haute south for their team state bids

16 minutes ago, Spladle Nation said:

now we all know brownsburg, mater dei and center grove will get into team state … and they should.  It really has a bigger affect on the smaller schools (1A and 2A) battling those 3 plus throw in Avon, Floyd central, terre haute south for their team state bids

I think he is referencing the actual team race at state 

23 minutes ago, Alex Skipper said:

At least after the first round of Semi-state. That would solve most of the issues.

The least intrusive way to do wrestlebacks would be this.  You lose in the first round, and you are done.  If you lose in the quarters, then you have to hope the guy who beat you wins in the semis and then you wrestle the guy who lost in the semis.  It would add 28 total matches to the day.  Divide 28 by 4 mats, so 7 matches per mat.  Each match takes about 10 minutes let's say, so you're adding about 60-70 minutes to the day.

1 minute ago, Christopher Bohn said:

The least intrusive way to do wrestlebacks would be this.  You lose in the first round, and you are done.  If you lose in the quarters, then you have to hope the guy who beat you wins in the semis and then you wrestle the guy who lost in the semis.  It would add 28 total matches to the day.  Divide 28 by 4 mats, so 7 matches per mat.  Each match takes about 10 minutes let's say, so you're adding about 60-70 minutes to the day.

You sir, might be the smartest wrestler ever!

Which unfortunately is not saying much, we are not known for being smart.

Great idea! If only IHSAA employed guys like you!

28 minutes ago, Christopher Bohn said:

This is how it’s done in Illinois at the state level and I think it’s a good method.

29 minutes ago, Christopher Bohn said:

To give another measure of how easy it would be, you would go from 16 matches per weight class to 18 matches per weight class. Dirt simple.

38 minutes ago, R. Kendrick said:

Go back to taking the top 3 from Regional instead of top 4, and insert a "wrestle back" round for the ticket round losers, exactly the same amout of matches for the day. 

I did think about this but do we want to cut our Semi State qualifiers by 25% ?  I personally would rather keep the current system and maintain the same number of SSQ if additional matches is not an option.

1 hour ago, JORVILLE said:

No it’s not follow the leader. It’s true wrestle backs in Illinois now . 

Oh, I thought it was still the former way just that it starts in the first round instead of quarters, but I didn’t know they gave them full wrestlebacks now. That’s dope. Indiana needs to follow suit.

1 hour ago, purdue02 said:

I did think about this but do we want to cut our Semi State qualifiers by 25% ?  I personally would rather keep the current system and maintain the same number of SSQ if additional matches is not an option.

At least you would have to win twice at regionals to make semi state. The way it is now, if you happen to have a weight that for whatever reason is short a wrestler, one person will now be a semi state qualifier and possibly not win a match at the regional.