SIAC decline…

I wanted to start my own thread because I believe this is a topic that deserves some focused discussion and that is the SIAC being down this year. SIAC will always be spearheaded by MD, but if you take a look at the bracket and the rankings for EVV semi state, you won’t find many SIAC wrestlers there. I get that Castle has injuries, Reitz seems to be declining, Memorial isn’t having a good year, North is solid and on the rise, Central can’t field a team, and Harrison hasn’t been good for years. Is this a one off year, or is this a sign of things to come ? Is the pipeline being refilled ? I need answers…

Unfortunately, I don't see this as just a one off year. But admittedly, I do not have a finger on the pulse of the pipeline.

The SIAC used to be one of the tougher conferences in the entire state. As you said, they have been lead by MD for decades. But Reitz, Castle, Memorial, Central & Harrison are just not producing the same level of talent they used to.

Maybe it is just a one off for Castle & Memorial. But Reitz, Central & Harrison seem to be in a decline over the last several years or longer.

The addition of Jasper & Vincennes Lincoln should help some, but Reitz & Central used to have really solid programs & Harrison would always have a few solid individuals.

I think the emergence of the elite wrestling academies has a lot to do with it. There is a bigger gap between the "dedicated wrestlers" & the "guys who wrestle". The good athletes that are "guys who wrestle" use to more easily have success a the state level. Now it pretty much takes a "dedicated wrestler" to even qualify for state. Maybe I am off, but that is how I see it.

It's hard to find many results from that area.  Maybe coaches need to take some time to put those in.  I'm sure there are some wrestlers that will contend.  It seems like hardly anyone uses trackwrestling down there and not many results posted on indianamat. 

In all honesty all the big city schools have declined significantly over the past 15 years.

Fort Wayne, South Bend, and Evansville city schools have not been very good recently. It's not a good trend.

In 2015 there were 10 wrestlers from the city schools that qualified for state, in 2019 only ONE did! The South Bend city schools have not had a state qualifier since 2018.

image.png

4 hours ago, Jayruss said:

I wanted to start my own thread because I believe this is a topic that deserves some focused discussion and that is the SIAC being down this year. SIAC will always be spearheaded by MD, but if you take a look at the bracket and the rankings for EVV semi state, you won’t find many SIAC wrestlers there. I get that Castle has injuries, Reitz seems to be declining, Memorial isn’t having a good year, North is solid and on the rise, Central can’t field a team, and Harrison hasn’t been good for years. Is this a one off year, or is this a sign of things to come ? Is the pipeline being refilled ? I need answers…

It’s not going to get much better. It is a sign of things to come.

3 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

In all honesty all the big city schools have declined significantly over the past 15 years.

Fort Wayne, South Bend, and Evansville city schools have not been very good recently. It's not a good trend.

In 2015 there were 10 wrestlers from the city schools that qualified for state, in 2019 only ONE did! The South Bend city schools have not had a state qualifier since 2018.

image.png

Coaching at the South Bend schools is tough. Almost as tough as living in South Bend. 

I do see a decline this year as well. After looking at all the rosters, there are only 2 teams that have 4 seniors on them. All the other schools have less than 4. Maybe this has an impact on why we think there is a decline? 

On 1/18/2024 at 6:04 PM, Alex Skipper said:

Coaching at the South Bend schools is tough. Almost as tough as living in South Bend. 

That’s why you pick Mish…jokes aside this stuff always goes in cycles, not all programs can be a constant power house like EMD so I do believe it’s probably a down year or years but it will come around 

3 hours ago, Fabio Jr. said:

That’s why you pick Mish…jokes aside this stuff always goes in cycles, not all programs can be a constant power house like EMD so I do believe it’s probably a down year or years but it will come around 

Being from a South Bend school, I’d like to think positively like that. Lack of admin support. Lack of interest. Limited feeder school support. Then you have my biggest issue, coaches have to live in South Bend. 

33 minutes ago, Alex Skipper said:

Being from a South Bend school, I’d like to think positively like that. Lack of admin support. Lack of interest. Limited feeder school support. Then you have my biggest issue, coaches have to live in South Bend. 

All coaches for South Bend schools have to live in SB?!   Who made that rule? 

9 hours ago, Alex Skipper said:

Looking on the bright side, there are almost certain to be several retirements among South Bend HS coaches over the next couple of years. An ambitious young coach willing to take it on the chin for a while would have an open field to work with.

On 1/20/2024 at 10:29 AM, awill0352 said:

As in it’s not true type joke or it’s so crazy it’s true joke? 

Skipper is joking about how bad it is to live in South Bend. Most, if not all, South Bend coaches live in that area. Coaches don't have to live there to coach. 

On 1/19/2024 at 10:58 PM, Alex Skipper said:

South Bend has some nice areas but its very dependent on what Notre Dame deems worthy of being fixed up they run that town like a Mafiaoso. 

That coming from a ND fan. 

17 hours ago, Fabio Jr. said:

South Bend has some nice areas but its very dependent on what Notre Dame deems worthy of being fixed up they run that town like a Mafiaoso. 

I am in Evansville so I only get up there for ND games.  Which means a night or two at a time usually once a year.   Mishawaka seems better overall than South Bend.   What are the locals' thoughts?   Although there are some really cool areas in SB.

20 hours ago, Fabio Jr. said:

Family.png.bab7bcf0a7e2b1ca156f51b8ccb2b7d3.png